Black People : WHY I LOVE BLACK WOMEN

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Aqil, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    Scholar Michael Eric Dyson Celebrates the Beauty and Character of Black Women

By Fahizah Alim, Staff Writer
    Sacramento Bee

If Michael Eric Dyson could put his image of womanhood on a pedestal, she would have brown eyes, full lips, thick and luscious hair, varying shades of coffee-colored skin and an ample, yet gravity-defying derrière...

She would be tough, but tender. And she would belie, says Prof. Dyson, the long-cherished standard of female beauty in America; blond, blue-eyed, buxom and pencil-thin.

So Prof. Dyson, who is also an ordained minister, scholar and author of six highly acclaimed books of cultural commentary, penned his latest and titled it, Why I Love Black Women (Basic Civitas Books; $23).

Dyson's stirring descriptions of the character and characteristics of the women he writes about are designed to cast a new light on women he says have been victims of negative stereotypes. He says those stereotypes have even dominated segments of Black America. "I wrote this book because I am so tired of the half-truths, lies and mythologies that have been put out there about Black women, especially with hip-hop culture and beyond: Black women as insulting sapphires, loose Jezebels or quiet mammies," Prof. Dyson said in a recent phone interview from his office at the University of Pennsylvania, where he was recently appointed a Professor of Humanities. "The history of Black women has been one of unexcelled courage and often-untouted bravery in the face of extreme opposition."

Dyson's book extols the defining virtues of Black women - strength and compassion honed by a hard history - and he pays loving tribute to them. Among them are his elementary school teacher who introduced him to Black literature and history; novelist Toni Morrison, whose novels ignited his literary fire; Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Oakland, who cast the sole vote in the House against granting war powers to President Bush; and activist Angela Davis, whose beauty, he says, was as inspiring to him as her revolutionary rhetoric. "I try to give the Black woman her due for her intelligence, her compassion, her strength and for her beauty," he says.

You can read the entire article at:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...&s_dlid=DL0103101310461024778&s_username=aqil

2. Deepa

Deepa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Aqil you provide great articles.

I need to let you know that some of your articles aren't in compliance with our copyright rule which requires that if you place an article on the forum (unless its public domain such as religious text) you must paraphrase it or only use a few quotes from the article and provide a link to where others can read it for themselves.

If you need clarification you can go to this link:

http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8084

3. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Why I love black woman. They are strong. I love them for the sweet of their existence. I love them cause they are in this with us. Calling for tolerance in every measure. They are Sapphires

I read where it was the cries of the black women to the compassions of the white women asking them to front the lose of a child. Be it to slavery or death. This was strong and needed to get the attention of the men who were callous and not caring. This also shows another example of the power of women.

My mother stood firm.. my sisters are the same. Standing proud of themselves in a swell of what ever comes their way. But their brothers were there to let the men in their lives know. If they violate they will face the truth.

4. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    Thanks Deepa...is the link you provided correct?

5. Deepa

Deepa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
  6. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    The first link you provided states the following:

vBulletin Message

You do not have permission to access this page.