Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Why I Like Having Natural Hair

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by MsInterpret, Jan 13, 2013.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    • When I take a shower I can get my hair wet and not care...It feels great and my showers feel complete when I can get my hair all the way to my toes wet in warm water.
    • My hair doesn't break off as much when it did when I had a relaxer...I shed less and my hair feels much stronger
    • It takes my 5 minutes to do my wash-n-go, opposed to getting a flat-iron and taking 30 min to an hour to straighten it.
    • Washing and conditioning my hair isn't an all day event.
    • I love my hair pattern...I'm not sure what hair type I have because the textures are different all over. I have coily, wavy, kinky hair and I love it
    • I've found natural products that my hair loves in order to keep it healthy
    • Experimenting is fun! Watching natural hair vBlogs and reading Natural hair blogs and forums to see what other folks are trying is an adventure. Especially making homemade conditioners.
    • Nothing I use on my head to do it burns my scalp or my hair.
    • I get more compliments on my hair then I did when my hair was relaxed.
    • It's chemical-free!
    • My hair is fun to play with when I'm bored. I like to twist my curls in my fingers, it kind of occupies my mind.
    • IT'S THE HAIR GOD GAVE ME.
    What are some of the reasons why you like having natural hair?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    :10900: i LOVE to SEE a sister with NATURAL hair!

3. mywordsfly

mywordsfly Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    I've always been natural, but I cut my hair when I was 12 into a small afro and didn't start growing my hair out past 2 inch of fro until I was 18, which really changed my curl type to smaller than it used to be...it wasn't bad, just new to me at the time, so I've learned my favorites are:

>NO MATTER WHAT I do with my hair people think that whatever I've done with it is what I tried to do and somehow fashionable lol
    >When my arms get tired I can stop braiding and walk around for a second and it all stays in place.
    >Basically every product I use smells amazing and works well. I learned my lesson early on with random smelling non natural frizz defiance products!
    >My husband loves my hair (and was the first person to tell me to grow it out).
    >Twist outs are always fun. I like the ringlets and taking them out. I LOVE IT ALL.
    >My big sister started talking to me because of it....we are 8 years apart and therefore struggled through childhood with myself generally annoying her, and prior to her change to natural we never spoke much. Then we realized our hair was the same length and were able to connect in a way that makes me glad I have a sister. Especially one willing to share her products.
    >It's a way to connect with people. I've run into ladies on the bus who stopped me and who I've stopped to ask about their hair.
    >It's easy to manage. Or I think so.
    >Letting my hair out! Confidence is literally in every curl. I like the look right after the shower.
    >It is helping me master the art of the up-do.
    >It has taught me utter patience. When I see Senegalese or Marley twists, I ache for hair down my back! The other day I saw a girl with curls just like mine only 6 inches longer. I actually sighed before she turned around and I realized immediately it was a wig. I don't need a wig. I just need to wait and I will have the same thing.
    >I always look good when I travel.
    >And what you said! This is my hair. It's not really a statement unless I'm attempting a fro-hawk, and all and all I would recommend natural hair to anyone, curly or not.

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I love the no-fuss of it as well.-- Wash/condition, oil...and a bi-weekly shape-up at my local barbershop. (I'm rockin' a 'fro.)

Much less time getting ready for my work-day or other events.

I get lots of compliments on it. Men love it! And many women who have perms have said to me, "I wish I could go natural but not with MY hair." --- *So sad to see/hear this mindset and conditioning from my Sistahs.*

I love the way it feels. I can't seem to keep my hands out of it. (lol)
    I'm always running my fingers thru it or twisting some strands when I'm alone.

5. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    Is that you in the picture? Very nice, you have short hair? I agree with all your points. My fav is that I can get up and go and not freak out about it getting wet. My hair has been natural too for more than a decade now. Ive gone from the fro, dreads to short, back to the fro and now the twists and curls. The problem is that it has always been thick and long and is often an all day event lol now Im considering cutting it really short and doing the blow out every now and then. No relaxers tho too much damage.

6. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    As my hair gets longer and bigger...it's like I have a permanent pillow on my head.

7. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I like that I can wear it straight, or with a weave , or with my yarn braids that look like locs. I have to add this... I am glad I can braid it because if I had to deal with combing it out.....i would have cut it. This week was not the week...the longer it gets the more I want to slap it. I just couldn't see myself living without it. I would miss it sooooo much. With great power comes great responsibility, lol!

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I like my natural hair because it makes me look less like I'm trying to impress someone(mostly guys), and more like I'm wearing my hair the way it should be; natural!

It feels super soft to the touch, also. So fluffy, so delicious.

9. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    So fluffy, so soft....like a little donut. I love donuts. Thats how I feel about it most of the time....okay 50% of the time.

10. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I lol'ed at you wanting to slap your hair. XD "Stop being difficult!! *pop!* ouch!!..."