Science and Technology : Why I gotta be a "Geek"?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by skuderjaymes, Dec 25, 2009.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I'm a tech guy.. hardware, software, programming, networking, you name it..
    I've done it as a hooby.. as a profession.. taught it at a college.. written about
    it.. etc etc.. I so want to participate in this forum.. but the name "Geek" is
    offensive to me.. it has a negative connotation and it saps my energy as soon
    as I see it. I would make a suggestion but.. .. .. exactly.. so I'm here venting
    instead.. What's wrong with the word "Technology" or "technological innovation"
    or something positive.. ??? I'm aware that some people may take
    pride in the word geek.. because it separates them from the crowd.. and thats
    fine.. but why risk offending anyone? Why not just use a name that is neutral.
    If the Black Women's section was called "ebony honeys" some folks might think
    that was cute, while others would surely be offended.. think about it.

2. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    I guess it's just

CHOOOCOLATE RAAAAIN
    Some stay dry and others feel the pain
    CHOOOCOLATE RAYEEEEAAAAIN
    A baby born will die before the sin

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    it's just a phrase that means "tech guy" - what the problem is?

out of curiosity, do you have a problem with "master/slave" as it is used by the industry?

listen to the media; what we calling ourselves these days? and i grew up taking our cake-cutters to fools that come like folks do today.

get over it; we're geeks and nerds and tech-dweebs and bug wranglers ...and some few of us just must put on airs and get all sididified about it and use some hi-falutin 15k-word ... that simply means "geek" .... <shrug> QQ

4. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

ok.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother SkuderJaymes ... Peace and Blessings

I don't know if we've ever shared in a discussion, so let me take the time and thank you for joining us, sharing, and being willing to go above and beyond most, helping to keep our home alive ... i am honored ... thank you! :)

Well, to address your concern, the question you ask in the title of this thread ... Why I gotta be a "Geek"? ... well Brother, you don't gotta be a geek if you don't wanna. Actually, i don't personally identify with the term either, even though one might characterize me using that word, since i'm involved with technology. I chose it more for the sake of nostalgia ... giving honor to a site that died some years ago, called blackgeeks.com ... and is mentioned in a thread i started titled Black Web Sites that have Died. It is also short, only a few letters, fitting easily into the scheme of things. I didn't choose it with the thought that anyone would ever be offended by it, but as i'm sure you've heard, all we gotta do is keep living.

Brother SkuderJaymes ... i think any word known to man, could be considered offensive to someone, somewhere. For example, i've seen Black Folk be offended by the term Black, asking why do we refer to ourselves as Black People, when we are Africans, African Americans, etc. There may be some that can't be comfortable here, because the term "Black People" is plastered everywhere, taking the use of the term personally offensive even though i don't know them nor had them in mind when i established the site.

Some people consider "religion" negative and "spirituality" positive ... and hate that our forum uses both words in its name ... Black Spirituality Religion Forum ... :look:

Nonetheless, i'm willing to hear your suggestion, even though it too will probably offend someone, somewhere.

Just let me know what you think may be better, and we can consider the change.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    how bout "lords of da keyboards"?:SuN049:

7. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    ..how about Science and Technology?

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother SkuderJaymes ... i'm with you ... great suggestion ... easy to implement ... thank you for caring.

It is done ... :grouphug:

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

9. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you!

10. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    the history of Our-Story

(as it has always been: new folks come into a neighborhood and gotta change up what that neighborhood had grown into - in some arenas, this is called "gentrification".)

the black geeks forum grew out of a desire/need for a place where the family could come with their puter problems. (and the technical support forum was implemented to deal with issues that folks might have working with the site.) at that time, it dealt specifically with computer technology, rather than the larger scope of technology, let alone science.

it is nice to have a science and technology forum.

it was also nice to have that informal help desk forum. true, most often, a "help desk" is associated with helping folks to deal with whatever space they were working in, such as the destee.com forum. but a help desk is also handy to have when things go wonky on one's home computer .. which was the original idea behind the forum that might have had another name before it was called black geeks? (i disremember exactly. but i do sort of remember the fun we had during the discussions leading up to it's creation. <grin> do you remember those, Ms. Destee? <smile>)