why fight?

Discussion in 'Violators and Violations (Possible Ones)' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    if those who profess the most advanced knowledge of the ancient books and cultures, those who are spirituality more advanced than the rest of us are going around the site fighting like cats and dogs, what hope do the rest of us have?

what good is knowledge of our culture if the end result is just another gang war?

help me out.

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Spiritual knowledge is good but it is as useless as food that is there but never eaten if it is not put into practice.

3. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    James

I suppose I could sum it up with one word...

JEALOUSY

Often the most knowledgable people fight over who has the most knowledge and one gets jealous of the other because the other is getting more praise and attention for the little knowledge he has.

One man doesn't want to be outdone by the other, things get bitter real quick and fights break out.

I don't know about you, but where I come from....

It's a good thing this is being done over the internet or somebody probably would have been seriously injured by now.

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    so knowledge is actually a bad thing rather than a good thing?
    the knowledgeable are fighting while those of us who lack knowledge are refereeing?

it seems as the more knowledge a brother has the worse off he gets.
    there is something wrong with this picture.

i have been asking this same question for a week now.
    most of the more knowledgeable people pass me by.
    i think we can not move forward until we can tolerate the possession of some knowledge with out having a world war break out.

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    i am pounding on this point because job number one is that we must be able to get along together and work together.
    black folk have to circle the wagons and carry the fight to the enemy.
    we can't do that if we are always fighting each other.
    look at Africa.

i am not going to become a Muslim, for example.
    does that mean i can not work with the Muslim brothers on mutual interests?

i buy my share of bean pies.

if we can't work together we will never get free.

6. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    I don't think knowledge or religion has nothing to do with why brothers and sisters fight. The beauty of this website is that it is a microcosm of Black people in America. For the most part we have Black folks from all walks of life interacting with each other sharing interests. Just like some brothers and sisters are modest and mild mannered some are arrogant and confrontational. If someone who has the propensity for arrogance, increased knowledge will bring it out. Sometimes when we relive our past history in America we get angry at the abuse and injustices that occurred. We Blacks in America have one crucial flaw. He have too good. The poorest of our brothers and sisters have it bad but i'st better than our brothers and sisters in other parts of the world. We take our blessings for granted and lose our humility, compassion and love for one and other. We become arrogant and puffed up with proud. We lose focus of reality. Reality is this is a website in cyberspace. Most of us are thousands of mile apart. Some of us are neighbors. On this website if someone becomes an annoyance, all one has to do it is go to the User Control Panel and put that person on their ignore list. We have figured out how to do everything else but not how to ignore potential problem members for us? I don' think so. We want to argue. We want to fight. If someone says something about us we are ready to type a sea of expletives. What is even more amazing is how we can engage in a war of meaningless insults and feel like we showed someone a thing or two. We must gain pleasure from arguing at words on a computer from people who really don't know personally. We don't care about the truth either, we care about being right and having the last word. This is how a debate can turn personal. The knowledge being shared loses it's meaning or relevance and the thread becomes a pissing contest. Well brother James like I said knowledge has nothing to do with it. There are plenty of highly intelligent people out there who abhor fighting or violence; physical or verbal. This fighting streak has to already be within a person waiting to come out. We need to take a long, deep look in the mirror. Notice I said we instead of them. This is because when a few of us are unhappy we are all in an uproar. Maybe this is a good thing. If we didn't care it wouldn't bother us as much. Maybe we need to channel those feelings into something positive and uplifting.

Peace.......

7. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Radical

Exactly.

The problem isn't necessarily knowledge.....but jealousy.

Becase this is the internet and there's really nothing else for us to go by are people competing over knowledge and skill of words.
    If this was in real life then we'd be competing with looks, money, cars, social status...whatever. Somebody'll find something to be jealous about and get to fighting and back-biting.

We have to learn to compromise and control ourselves.

8. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't think it is Jealousy, I think it is ego. One with a huge ego, can make a person narcissasitically (sp) just care about themselves and no else. We are a family here, as James said, and if we cannot deal with one another in a loving manner, it defeats the purpose for this site. We don't have to always agree, but as grandma used to say "it is not what you say it is how you say it".

I pray that all those involved learn to first love one another, than go about the business of dropping knowledge with that love because they have so much to share with all of us.

A couple of years ago I used to post on BETs site. There was so much hate, so much "I am better than you" scenarios between Black folks, not to mention many of the posts were white folks posing as Black folks, that it got to be so ridiculous. Aqil recalls those days because that is where I met him. A wonderful brother.

We shouldn't want that here.

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    check out IESPELL -> http://www.iespell.com/

10. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

I agree sister inflated egos lead to a contest of one-ups-manship. This is how knowlegde gets lost. Thank you for your beautiful and brilliant analysis sister.

Peace and love.......