Black People : Why Don't You Come

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Nisa, May 24, 2005.

?

Why don't you come into chat

1. Too Hard to get into

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Don'thave speakers

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Don'thave a microphone

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. I came in but noone was talking

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I don't find it exciting

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. I only have computer access from work

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. I prefer not to chat. I'd rather be on the forum

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Why don't you come into voice chat. I'm asking this because I don't see alot of my fellows in chat. Please vote on the poll or create your own response.
    Give us tips on how we can make chat better :)

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Nisa ... i be wundr'n this all da time!

Thanks for posting this thead.

:heart:

Destee

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother anAfrican ... gosh ... have i already said that we are so blessed to have you with us?!!! Did i say that already, somewhere, anywhere?! :)

I appreciate you so much, spending the night with me, starting the new technology forum, going through all you did, to get into our new chat ... going above and beyond ... to help bring more information and knowledge to our Family here. I am honored.

The mere nature of the Internet, requires the downloading of files. Yes, some files are safer than others. Yes, someone could be hacking into your computer right now, and reading goodness knows what on it. Yes, you're not as anonymous as you think. Yes, if homeland security wanted you, they'd get you. Yes, we all need to learn what we can to make our Internet browsing more safe and secure. Thank God we have you! :)

I've been a part of this technology since 1996, right out here on the Internet, and what we're experiencing now, is really no different than its always been. The technology, software, hardware, etc., becomes outdated or vulnerable, patches are released, or updates ... and for the most part ... you make whatever updates you feel are necessary.

There are always those folk looking to figure out a way to hack something or someone. They (thousands of them probably) sit around for hours on end, coming up with ways to get around security and functionality features. As the technology has progressed, so too has everything within it, including the hacker's effort ... but so too should the individual user try to stay up to speed with this technology ... if they can.

As a web developer, i must say that the functionality that is available today for web sites, is awesome compared to 5 years ago. It's a very fast moving technology. It's not going to stop, and we should not be afraid of it. We should embrace it. It allows us to come together in ways that we never have been able to before. I think this one positive, outweighs the negatives by leaps and bounds ... and they are lessened even more, with the implementation of available precautions ... making us even less vulnerable to such attacks.

Brother anAfrican ... i think this would be a great thread to start in the Technology Forum ... things that will make your computer safe and secure ... a list of them or something ... maybe explaining what a fire wall does, how much protection it provides ... and whatever else is available to us ... that allows us to embrace the technology and be as safe as possible while doing so.

Please don't think any of this is in defense of our voice chat, and the active x plugin download required to use it ... i hate that too !!! ... oh gosh ... i hate that !!! Actually, i hate a few things about our current voice chat ... and am working on a way to resolve all of those issues! Thanks again for the link, i'll be sure to check it out.

I hate that voice chat download! ggggggrrrrrrrr ... i hate anything that makes it more difficult for our people to take advantage of this technology ... hoops to jump through ... obstacles ... when most of us are doing good just to be on the Internet! That is how i view such things. I am convinced that more folk would come into our voice chat, it would be easier to use, if some requirements of our current one did not exist. We do need to be careful about downloading active x plugins ... but there are going to be those times when you want to see what you want to see ... and it is on a trusted site ... so you may go ahead and do that ... it's okay. Your pc probably won't blow up! :)

Brother anAfrican ... thanks again for everything ... i'll be looking forward to that thread on making your pc more safe and secure ... and i'll check out that chat solution too.

One thing Brother anAfrican ... i don't know if you noticed or not ... but you be give'n me a lotta work ta do!

Destee

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother anAfrican ... is that a marriage proposal ?

Destee

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I was sleeping!

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I can't get in chat... gave up trying. I don't want to change my firewall at home because I have been problem/virus free for so long, and my computers both at home and at work do not like Active X.

7. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Ok anybody have any suggestions on making the chat more interesting? It would be helpful. I looked at the poll results, I didn't have a mic for a long time,I came in to listen however.

8. dexxtreme

dexxtreme Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I haven't joined the voice chats because I have only been a member for all of an hour or so. :) But, since it apparently uses ActiveX plugins, I definitely won't be able to join in. I don't run Windows, so no Internet Explorer. (My OS of choice is Linux.) No Internet Explorer means no ActiveX. (Even if I did run Windows I would still choose Firefox over IE.) Also, as it has been mentioned before, ActiveX is evil. There are various security risks (such as viruses/worms/etc.) that come along with enabling ActiveX plugins. Most IT people have a disdain for it because they know what problems it could lead to.

Besides, unless some of you are up chatting at 3am (I work the graveyard shift but I'm off tonight), then chances are slim that I would even catch anyone in chat.

9. Intrepid

Intrepid Well-Known Member MEMBER

Adminstrative Assistant
    Somewhere in this wonderful place we call the worl
    Ratings:
    +3
    My reasons for not coming to voice chat have been totally different.
    The first one was becasue I could not get in through AOL, but silly me I have DSL and just went in that way and it worked out fine.
    Lately my reasons for not being on voice chat or anywhere just peepong in has just been I haven't had the time with my kids and basketball practice and games, work, school and the household all together when I sit down I am sleep.
    Hopefully with school for me and the kids coming to and end soon I will be able to come in.
    So please don't go away just know I am on the way eventually that is.....LOL