Black Spirituality Religion : Why Don't We Speak The Same ENGLISH?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Metaverse, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    [​IMG]

In theory spoken language should correspond with written language. This is not always the case. Those of us that have either failed or succeeded at learning new languages would have a idea about the complexities of translating human communication codes from language to language.

In a nutshell a language written or spoken is an illustrator. Sounds or glyphs and symbols "draw out" our thoughts into living space. So basically communication is an art form. Not everyone unfortunately is good at "conveying" their thoughts through either written or spoken language. This is perhaps the results of generations upon generations of poor linguistic education.

In truth, there is no reason for us to have to look up words in order to find their meaning. This is also part of the reason we don't all speak the same English.

The meaning of the word can be illustrated by the word itself.
    But this backwards form of education, could be- the reason why English and other languages can be so deceiving. Looking up a word to find it's meaning would be the same as having to look up a picture of an apple or chair in order to find it's usage within the real world.

If it's true that we don't all speak the same English, then it is also true that we don't all learn English under the same systems of education, and perhaps we are constantly learning and un-learning communication codes.

The meaning of a word- is "supposed to be" drawn out by it's visual alphabet or audible phonics- period. The alphabet should be as precise as numbers. We know the value of 1, 2, 3 and so on.

Our Ancestors learned language directly from their culture and definitely from art and music. Paintings- how things are drawn, and how life is "pictured" was a major part of language communication. Music along with our oral traditions helped to build mental libraries of how concepts of sounds are used.

This is not just about African vernaculars, slangs, Ebonics etc., even though these are major components in language. Vernacular- if it were music from a horn- is how the note is played, and how much of that note is played- and even how long it is played. What we are dealing with here is the fact that some of the greatest Black Musicians in history couldn't read a lick of music..but their musical theory and composition was as efficient and even more so than those that did.

We are speaking about one's ability to understand what those notes mean just from hearing it. Be able to convey that speakers "intent" just from the melody of their expression.

Should that be a gift? Or a requirement of higher intelligence?

History says that even during the days of hieroglyphs not everyone fully agreed on what those drawings meant. That could be an untrue interpretation of history, but at least with hieroglyphs there is a learnt mathematical manner of decoding symbols, whereas today's Human brain is reserved for dictionaries.
    Words are defined not by their sounds or alphabetic composition- but by recorded definition of how said words should be treated and agreed upon. We are taught what words means, we are given fish- but we are not taught how to mathematically extract meaning from words- and how to fish.

"Everyone says they want peace. But we have Wars because everyone wants piece." Written this sentence makes more sense than spoken. Ironically- anyone's intelligence could be undermined using such styles of deception. Say what you mean and mean what you say- was not the goal of those that designed the English language.

We err in this realization- that written and spoken language have failed to convey more than 75% of Human emotions, ideals and concepts. There are things we feel and experience that there are no word for- another reason why Africans predominantly invented creative pleasure societies to expand and evolve Human expression.

However, because we also "think" using the same phonics we use when we speak, there is a misperception that our thoughts are as exact as our language. This is also not the case.

"Thoughts" are not comprised only of the language we speak within our heads, but also the visuals, emotions/feelings and invisible planning that is carried about within the subconscious. It is clear that English was built as a one dimensional language, because it can only convey what is on the surface of a thought and not what it within it, above it, around it or behind it.

When someone give you a "word" it is the same as someone giving you a black box. What is the first question you would ask? What is within this box?

[​IMG]

English give us this:

[​IMG]

Where's the rest? This is what we fight about. This is what we battle over, and try to extract meaning from. Ironically the same black square stops a sentence, we call it a period ---> .

But since African languages both written and spoken were used as the "parent scripts" for mostly all languages in the known world we can only assume that as our languages became redefined used and re-worked to fit within more "recessive" societies, they became diluted and one dimensional in order to pin-point the reference points of Ancient Roman, Latin and Greek nations.
    Points of view that gain power by hiding the true meaning for the other.

The problem however- again, is not in the sounds themselves, or the glyphs we use in English, but how well the language communicate our thoughts and how well those thoughts are received. What I am saying is perhaps true for many languages. However I've heard that Hebrew could easily communicate three dimensional ideas.

Why don't we speak the same English? Because we don't all "think" along the same dimensions. Some of us are one dimensional thinkers, surface thinkers- while others are 3-12 dimensional thinkers. Each dimension is a part of yourself or mental state that you wish to convey within your language or creative expression. Africans traditionally have never been surface thinkers. However- these days many of us are. We exist on one frequency and one dimension of thought. When someone is thinking along your same "wavelength" or frequency...you get them, no matter what words they choose.

What Africans have managed to do with the English language through our structured vernacular, rhymes and poetry- is in fact pure Genius and not something to be frowned upon. That's as close to "3 dimensional" as English will get.

When Langston Hughes writes in the poem "Bad Morning"
    Here I sit With my shoes mismated. Lawdy-mercy! I's frustrated!
    The entire core of the poem is dreamt up within the mind of the reader. If you don't get, you just don't get. The poem is "illustrating" and painting thoughts, ideas and concepts that create a 3 dimensional image. Who is speaking here? A child or an Adult? Where is this person sitting? What is the look on this person's face? Is this person White or Black? All of this is conveyed within the poem.

Do you ever sit back and get a little too high,
    start thinking what happens to you when you die?
    Does your soul rest where your coffin is,
    or is death just a metamorphosis?
    Does life go on in the mental form,
    If we live a good life will we get reborn?
    Is it a heaven or we trapped in hell?
    Where do we go from here, nobody came back to tell.
    If we reincarnated or perish in time,
    could you shine when darkness inherits your mind?
    And your eyes closed for good, you out the galaxy now,
    Is this subconscious dream my reality now?
    Listen to brain, with no physical frame,
    Could we return to the hood on a spiritual plane?
    Ask yourself, "If I pass tonight,
    Am I prepared for what's after life?"

Rahkim - After you Die.

After reading those lyrics, ask yourself why did the word "tonight" rhyme with "after life." ? The reason is clear.

2. Metaverse

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Without the ability to speak or write, how would one go about expressing their thoughts and ideas? The answer to that question would bring to light the culture of African intelligence. Communication would be through movement, as in dance, physical action, facial expressions and body language. It would be through the use of tools, instruments to make sounds. It would be through the creation of objects that hold significance and value so that our interactions with them would tell our story.

In truth without culture we cannot communicate 3 dimensionally. Period. Well, perhaps this is why it is said that ancient people didn't do much speaking or writing. Not only because of their strong telepathic ability but also because they were able to communicate using their lifestyle itself. English is not even the dominant language on the planet, Mandarin is, but interestingly enough the most universal form of communication is music, next in line after that is art/drawing. These are the very foundations for all cultures.

In the English language, there are 26 letters, or symbols- that in my opinion are dealing with actually 13 symbols that mirror one another, in a "as above so below" style of design. Each symbol presents a sound that could correspond with the chromosomes within our dna. Each symbol could also be a name of a God, deity, even striking the harmonics for Ancient tones that were used to channel Heru, or the Mother energy.

http://www.crystalinks.com/angelscript.html

The English alphabet, as one dimensional as it is, still could not get away from the fact that each symbol is a small drawing that sends codes into the subconscious. So again, we waste so much time debating about what words means. English was designed for that purpose to deceive and confuse.

No language spoken or written should define our culture, it is our culture that defines and even "invents" our spoken and written language. We should never forget that. If culture cannot express your ideas then it is your responsibility to inspire culture in order to do so. Otherwise there is no other way to communicate beyond the broadcasting of holographic signals from brain to brain.

Rahkim said: Ask yourself, "If I pass tonight, Am I prepared for what's after life?" "Pass-tonight" lines up beautifully with "After-life" aligning together no differently that sunlight along a sundial. But he establishes these alignments throughout his song. Tonight and Afterlife are not obvious rhyming words. So how to Dark Geniuses like Rahkim and other find these words? How do they do that?

Perhaps because the words Light and Life are the same within the vernacular of collective human consciousness? If he said "If Ask yourself, "If I pass tonight, Am I prepared for what's after light?" Would the feeling change? No it still rhymes, in fact- this is actually what IS being said.

We can easily decode words by fractioning them off with other similar words.
    LI/FE LI/GHT LI/NE LI/NK
    What do these words have in common? Have about a measured distance between point a and b? Life is from birth to death. Light is a beam. A Line drawn straight. a link is a connection. What that being said what is LI?
    Sound it out- LIE.

There is no birth to death, we are constant. There is no light, only illusion. There is no line or link because separation is also an illusion, we are constant and all connected.

If this method is certain, then all words beginning with LI are dealing with some type of illusion.

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    :great:

Keep Bringing it Brother Meta!

I really appreciate this topic!:couple:

Thank You!

:heart:

4. Metaverse

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    I appreciate this topic too Queen PM. And those like you that read it and can expound on it.

I always say that English is my second language, numbers is my first.
    Numbers/mathematics helped me to understand what it means to have a "one dimensional" language compared to having a "3 dimensional language."

A number is exact and precise. A number can represent a level of frequency, a channel, a rate of sound. Computers and digital devices can talk to each other using numbers/binary but Humans usually don't. Our languages are more complexed. But like binary we use languages to paint pictures.

I'm certain many of us banged our heads against our desks in school trying to understand what the frank William Shakespeare was talking about. Either a Hustler or a Genius right? Perhaps both. Smart enough at least to understand the mathematics of language.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry". - Hamlet (Act I, Scene III).

The irony is, if Shakespeare was set to music, Hip-Hop- perhaps even Reggae- folks would just dance to it and not care what he was talking about. Because truth be told half of the people that listen to "Lil' Wayne" don't know what he's saying either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_invented_by_Shakespeare

Shakespeare is also seen as the savior of the English language.
    It is any coincidence that poets still have such a deep influence on the English language? There are no ancient African dictionaries or lexicons that I've read of, perhaps because these "recordings" are usual for people to translate and transfer words, symbols and their meaning between cultures. Meaning- these are books for conquerers.

There reason why there is even a study of the origin of words " Etymology" tells us the definition of words change over time. In the 13th century the word "nice" was an insult. Get into a time machine and call someone in the 13th century "nice" you might get cut. A "Girl" used to be a young person of any sex.

http://ezinearticles.com/?-Etymology--How-Words-Change-Over-Time&id=12709

So what is really the quick fix for Human misunderstandings brought about by language? The clearest way is through the understanding and creation of culture. Why is an inside joke an inside joke? That's when 2 or more people share a single reference point that others around them may not. It's like a Sistah saying to another Sistah "You told Harpo to beat me" in front of a White co-worker. She may not get it. Even while these Sistahs are screaming laughing. Culture in this case would be the movie "The Color Purple."

Seems silly at first, but media is only a component of culture building. Aren't there people who use the bible as their reference point? So isn't there a "bible culture" just as there is a music culture, hip-hop culture, movie culture and so on?

Can you even be a Comedian in today's day and age without using popular media as a reference point?