Black People : Why don't most people post their photo here

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dunwiddat, Oct 20, 2012.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    I have oftened wondered why folks seem reluctant to post their picture. An Avatar might look good..but it is not the real thing...like looking at someone with a paper bag on their head.:thinking: Perphaps they are reason for not posting them.

2. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    I had photos of myself in my avatar in the past, but I figured I'd give everyone a break from that as I figured it was traumatic enough to deal with me posting.

3. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

4. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

In my own case, "Yes, indeed." I have NEVER posted my picture on the internet. Not ever. Only because I choose not to, dunwiddat. I'm still a basic rookie when it comes to me interacting with anyone online, such that it would be helpful to them (or me) if I post a pic of myself. For many, many years, my primary use of the internet was to use it while in pursuit of a college degree program and in doing that, my not posting a pic of myself never came up.

Entertainment-wise, it hasn't been until *this year* that I even bothered to join twitter or facebook....and as of today, I only occasionally use my twitter account (w/no pic available). I don't use facebook yet. Also, though I was a longtime member of a different social site, even for that site I never posted a pic of me; instead, I posted pics of places and people I thought made my particular homepage a learning experience.

In my real life, I'm a private person. I like to move kind of *below radar*, if you will. Frees me to be underestimated in a lot of useful ways. But that's in real life. Similarly, online, I prefer that people judge me by my words, good, bad, or indifferent.

Another thing. There's so much perpetrating done online (false pics posted) that are ABSOLUTELY INTENDED to trick other viewers that I promise you: I NEVER fully believe in the pic others put forth as being *what they look like*. OK if they post such pics, but not actually relevant to me.

Instead, I judge THEM by THEIR words. The lone exception regarding pics that I am open to making are VIDEOS. I've no difficulty in believing that I am in fact *seeing the person behind their published words*. That's likely the best example of open-handed integrity online that I know of, too.

Interesting question.

One Love, and PEACE

5. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

There's so much perpetrating done online (false pics posted) that are ABSOLUTELY INTENDED to trick other viewers that I promise you: I NEVER fully believe in the pic others put forth as being *what they look like*.

Funny you made that statement, when I was thinking of making the post, I ask myself if those who post are really posting the real ones. Mine is real.. :lol: although I am bit older. I am not interested in Facebook, or Twitter. I guess photos can be faked just as people pretend to be something that they are not. What I have noticed is that reading someone's post says volumes about them...no need for a picture...Lol:lol:

6. houserunner

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    LOL, yeah there are a lot of fake fools out there as far as how they look. I never got that as people witness your likeness everyday. Anyway I understand the privacy thing as I never give out any pertinent info online and have some faux e-mail addresses for what I do online.

7. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

I'm older too :wchair: Fact is, I'm so old my birth certificate describes my birth as a Negro birth!

:lol:

One Love, and PEACE

8. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    :lol: ROTFL

9. houserunner

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    Too much! lol

10. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Dunwiddat, that's your picture in your avatar?

It looks like a well-done drawing.

Great pic!