Black Entertainment : WHY DO YOUNG BLACKS HATE ON THE BLUES???

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Isaiah, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I notice that we can talk about HIPHOP all day long, until we're BLUE in the face, but African American young people avoid the subject of the BLUES, JAZZ, and REAL R&B like the plague... Why the Hatred for your own culture??? Why no interest in finding out what it is all about??? Do you realize that without the BLUES, there aint NO HIPHOP! Without Jazz and Rhythm&Blues, I don't care how many Jamaican sound systems there were, aint gone be no HIPHOP...

Remember, HIPHOP is a library of music sampled from every other genre... HIPHOPPERS have really NEVER made their own MUSIC... Without MUSIC all you've got is the SPOKEN WORD... The lack of an interest in anything except what you call your "own" music is a sad commentary on the mental state of our youth... It says that you all are most closed minded, and may explain why it is so difficult for you to communicate with anyone outside of your milleu... It is profoundly sad, too... Wake up to your culture, and it's origins, and stop HATING in on it... If you HATE on your own culture, then that is another sad commentary on what you feel about yourselves...

PEACE!
    ISAIAH

2. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    Mayb it's the matter of choice.
    I personally love listening to Blues and Jazz.
    Just like the sound of it.

3. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    "WHY DO YOUNG BLACKS HATE ON THE BLUES??? "

They probably cannot understand the message sent...unless it has a catchy tune. Other than that ther same song is being sung.

4. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I think it probably has something to do with us trying to find something to call our own. I really don't know to be honest.

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Not that I do not like the Blues, but I just enjoy listening to the 'Insrumental' music, especially when it comes to Blues and Smooth Jazz. Take a Ramsey Lewis classic with no lyrics, just sound, and you have something that will allow me to relax my mind.

CD

6. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Just because someone does not talk about a Music Genre does not mean they dislike it.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother DeepVoice, I've heard this before, and I guess your'e right... Only thing is Hiphop is no more this generation's OWN thing than is the BLUES...

This generation didn't invent HipHop anymore than my generation invented the Blues... Figuratively and literally, we're still waiting for this generation to actually create a music of it's own...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I think in order to appreciate anything, including music, it's imperative to expose children to it when they're very young

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

This is so true. I am sure I learned to appreciate jazz from years of looking at those Dinah Washington and "A Love Supreme" album covers in my parents' collection until I finally got bold enough to play some of them..

10. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I thank that young folk don't like Blues cuz they dont' think they can relate......they thank it's too country...too far behind the times.......them Blues cats spoke a different language and for the most part if you ain't from the South and don't have folks that use that language you have no idea what they talking bout.....like I tell folk the South may as well be another Country....we speak a different language eat different food prepared in a different way ...we do different thangs....and that's what the Blues talk bout.....right na Lightning don tol me "I'm sittin down ta ma table, had the Blues so bad I couldnt' eat"...........a lot of younger Black folk are so tied up in being city folk and puttin us down for the way we talk and fo eatin pok, and fo huntin and fishin and fighting banty roosters, and dogs and growing peas and thangs and livin the way we used to and the Blues is a part of that...so they lump that in with everythang else and just throw it off...like that mule try to throw off a yoke.......what's the answer or the way to get em turnt to the Blues......cuzzin I coudnt ebem tell ya....maybe one day that light bub'll tun on and they'll say " lawd I lub dem Blues....that's us..." I can only hope....

MississippiRed
    Southern Traditionalist

"you know I don't like no ship...Lightining don't want to git wet fo I die"