Black People : WHY DO YOU LOVE HARLEM? ESPECIALLY 125 th ST???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SOULDEEP3, Sep 23, 2003.

1. SOULDEEP3

SOULDEEP3 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    THIS IS WHERE MALCOLM X USED TO WALK THE STREETS KNOWN AS RED ALONGSIDE REDD FOXX, JUST SHOOTIN' THE BREEZE; THIS IS WHERE THE APOLLO THEATRE STILL STANDS & HAS GIVEN BIRTH TO SOME OF OUR MOST BRILLIANT PERFORMING LEGENDS IN MUSIC HISTORY; & THIS IS ALSO WHERE BLACK PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE GET TO SEE THE ABSOLUTE GODLY BEAUTY OF OUR DIASPORA,NOT TO MENTION FEEL THE OVERWHELMING SOULFLOWING ENERGY.....SO I ASK U, WHY DO U LOVE HARLEM?:D :cool: :huh:

I AM BECAUSE WE ARE.

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I love Harlem because it was wear I was born and raised. 125th street was the nerve and pulse of Afrikan intelligencia

As a young man walking up and down 125st, I immersed my being with the knowledge and appreciation of the sistahs and brothas that beat the path before me. And I took in the vibrations of Malcom and Marcus, Adam and Arturo.

And as a child, my parents would take me and my older brothers from our home on 120th st. and what was then known as 7th avenue on our way to 125th st. We would stop by the local black panther chapter on 121st, and I recall standing in awe of the courageous young sistahs and brothas, that would die for the liberation of our people. My parents made it very clear what the struggle was to me and my brothers

Sadly the vibrations are not the same these days on 125th st., but the memories of the elders will always be there

3. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13
    I love 125th street because it defied all stereotypes I saw on t.v. that it was proclaimed to be. I saw Harlem as being a dirty, nasty, poor place with black people walking everywhere at all times of the night. I got there, nothing but love from beautiful educated people. Took me over to Wiley burgers around the block where I ordered a fire *** sandwich. It was just beautiful. I thought the Apollo was a little bigger, but I was just honored to walk the drive. it was cool indeed and that's why I Love 125th street. It was a teacher.

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Harlem's 125th Street New York, New York
    Main Street of Black American Culture

"Combine a major Manhattan transportation artery, cultural epicenter, architectural polyglot, and famed destination and the result is 125th Street in Harlem — a capital of African American cultural life since the early 20th century.

The American Planning Association has selected 125th Street in Harlem as one of 10 Great Streets in America because it has managed to maintain a strong identity through periods of tremendous population growth and infrastructural strain, disinvestment, and urban renewal. In addition it is a piston of economic, social, cultural, and transit activity for Harlem, with increasingly more walkable and livable places.

Laid out in the 1811 Commissioner's Plan of New York City, 125th Street is one of 15 broad crosstown streets that fall approximately every 10 blocks along the tilted north-south axis of Manhattan Island. Unlike the others however, 125th has outstanding connectivity with New York's major transportation corridors: it runs from the Hudson to the East River and connects the arterial Henry Hudson Parkway, the FDR Drive, and the Triborough Bridge, and is served by a number of subway and bus lines...." http://125thstreetbid.com/

5. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    Mystifying!!!!!

Born and raised in Bk, Harlem was Mecca for over 40 years and inspite of the rampant and obvious regetrification and the demise of various icons and landmarks of Black Cultural and Hisorical Power and Wisdom,
    I still get a thrill when I walk around Harlem day or night

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I have an Elder cousin who lives in Harlem (W. 153rd).

I love hearing her stories of the history and people of the area.

She's spoken to me about:

Strivers Row

Sugar Hill

Washington Heights...

And she actually knew the man called "West Indian Archie" who is written about in the Autobiography of Malcolm X. She told me some funny/interesting stories about him too!

7. Precise Allah

Precise Allah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Peacemaker
    Ratings:
    +759
    Just around the way..........

[​IMG]

8. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    why do you love harlem...

wow,i haven't been to harlem in years but i remember the specialness of it,d.c.'s u st was our little harlem but man has that fallen by the wayside from[7th st to 15th]was all ours from the howard theater to the bohemein caverns nightclub and all the spots in between,they recently sent a reporter to get reaction from the people on the streets about the michael jackson death and on 14th a u st all the people were white.