Black People : Why do we still demand apologies?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by diakonos, Jun 29, 2005.

1. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I was pondered this yesterday, as I listened to Ralph Nader in his interview with Ed Gordon defend his use of the “N” word to describe himself (or what he felt like as a result of being marginalized by the Democratic Party). Then, I thought back to the comments that the President of Mexico made (something to the tune of “Mexicans take the jobs that even blacks won’t take). Here again, he felt no need to apologize.

Ok, back to Ralph Nader and his use of the “N” word (and his refusal to apologize).

I’m not debating the fact that his use of the word was just plain wrong. But why are black folk so surprised when He and people like him feel no need to apologize for their remarks? If anything, this ought to serve as a wake call. Instead of demanding apologies from everyone who “offends” us, maybe we need to ask ourselves some hard questions.

Why is it that prominent white (and non black) figures are not afraid to disrespect us with inappropriate statements, when they should clearly know better? What does that say about us, and our place in this country?

How seriously should we expect to be taken, with the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton demanding apologies on our behalf? I mean really, it’s not like white America takes either of these men seriously.

Even if they did apologize, what does that really prove? It doesn’t change our declining respect level in this country. A wise man once said…
    And I loosely quote…

"Apologies made to whomever it pleases,
    still they got us like Jesus" Chuck D

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree 100%!

3. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I agree with you. I've been said to hell with apologies. We all know they mean those derogatory remarks towards us. We, as a people, need to stop accepting bandaids and start stitching our wounds.

Not only in this country...but also in the world. WE are NOT respected...PERIOD. And just because some of our "White friends" respect us, it does not mean that ALL White people respect us or should respect us.

We've cried enough...we've died enough...now it's time for us to handle our stuff.

Some people may not agree with Neely Fuller, Jr. but he was right about us meeting for "constructive" activities in order for us to prosper and rise up as a people.

Peace.

4. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I also didn't like that he used the word and I posted that on an earlier thread the two responses were basically who cares. Sharpton didn't care either.

"Nader is not a racist by any stretch of the imagination," Sharpton told me yesterday. "He has a good track record. But he ought to be sensitive that he does not sanitize that word."

http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35180