Black Parenting : Why Do We Martyr Single Fathers But Demonize Single Mothers?

I have even caught myself doing this. When I see Dad with a baby or child my instincts to offer help kick in immediately. I have feelings of empathy that I probably wouldn't even have for a Mother for some reason,..... especially if the Dad seems to be handling the baby/child in an awkward way.

The young or not so young single black father also deserves our advice and support too

fyi

I guess it's because society expects the mother to be nurturing and not so much the dad.

So when people see him sticking around without a partner, it looks sweet and people want to assist, but for a woman, again since that much is expected of her, most focus on why she couldn't keep a man around. Perhaps she ran him off? Perhaps she slept with some loser and should have known better?

That's how people seem to always judge the situation. :10500:

Me, I try not to give people too many points for doing something they SHOULD be doing, like rearing their own children, men or women. But I do understand how certain things come more naturally for a woman caring for a child than a man, and why one might feel more sympathetic toward him having to go it alone.

I have even caught myself doing this. When I see Dad with a baby or child my instincts to offer help kick in immediately. I have feelings of empathy that I probably wouldn't even have for a Mother for some reason,..... especially if the Dad seems to be handling the baby/child in an awkward way.

Because even with some changes in the law, single parent father's are still VERY rare. Moreover, dads aren't raised or socialized to care for the children. Thus, it is ASSumed he is at a disadvantage and needs encouragement, help and praise.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back