Black People : Why do we "celebrate" birthdays?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, Jun 15, 2006.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    You know, I was just thinking as I wished a member a happy birthday! Why do we celebrate the day of our birth and what is the root of this tradition? People typically get wishes of happiness and special attention on the day of their birth. Why not these same wishes every day? Is this also an African tradition? It's not like there are special ceremonies or rituals performed at the time of our births as African Americans. Usually a woman goes to the hospital, gives birth then goes home. But every year, on the same day, a celebration of some sort usually takes place. Why? What exactly is being celebrated, particularly when it comes to African Americans.

Any thoughts?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

On our birthdays, my Momma useta say, "I'm the one who should be gett'n the gift, i did the work!"

iono Sister Queenie.

:heart:

Destee

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    why do we...

i not sure if anyone really know who started the birthday celebration,one legend has it that in acient times folks thought that evil spirits would come for them on the day of thier birth so they had a crowd of people around them on that day,every culture has it's own legends about the celebration of birthdays.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Very interesting oldiesman....hmmmm :thinking: thanks for sharing.

Des, after having raised an Indigo child, I'm like your mama...somebody needs to give me a high five every year! :lol:

And for those that don't know what an "Indigo Child" is, I'll have my daughter provide an explanation for you soon or if anyone does know, maybe you'd like to explain.

Queenie :heart:

5. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    I dont celebrate birthdays, the time you are born the world has changed so MUCH. The conditions of your birth represent one unique point in time and from that point on we go through changes though our entire lifetime not a single day.

If you keep track of time for leisurely pursuit then I can see the YOUR NEED to celebrate "birthdays"

6. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I don't really know exactly why, myself. Haven't truly celebrated mine for a minute, but still receive blessings for the day.

I do believe some have said it's just another reason to gather with friends and family, and to have a party. :lol:

7. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    For the money pinned to our chests, and for the cake.
    :birthday1: