Black People : Why do we call ourselves Afrikans?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by muslimgurl, Dec 12, 2008.

1. muslimgurl

muslimgurl Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    As Salaam Alaikum family,
    I'd like to start by saying that this question stems from curiosity and not from judgement. I am new to the Destee family and I have noticed that here we use the word Afrikans when referring to one another. I personally beleive that we are original people from which all others derrived and are not limited to one continent. So if some one could give me their point of veiw I would appreciate it.
    Peace

2. free2b_me

free2b_me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    I believe that we are originally AfriKan people as a race. The term Blacks, Colored, Knegros are derogitory names that white people gave us when referring to our skin color and not acknowledging us as a bonafide ethinic race. The term AfriKan AmeriKan, is acknowledging our race in AmeriKa... my opinion....:qqb007:

3. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    ok

I say Africans in the purest sense are limited to ONE continent: Africa
    it sure ain't Asia or Australia or South America

while i don't refer to myself as someone who is a first generation african
    my family was brought here 10 generations ago or so more or less i still identify with Africa, i recognize it as my place origin

my place of origin is not America, Europe, Australia, Japan, China or India

my existence stems from Africa

i know Africa is a continent and i don't know exactly where my family
    originated from but i do know it was Africa

All Black People originated from Africa YOU MUST IDENTIFY WITH IT SOMEHOW
    even though i/you have never been there we are still a part of it

if you think you come from America or England i would say you are sadly mistaken yes you might have been born there, but it is NOT your place
    of origin on the human chain developed over millions of years

so to some degree i'm a subplanted African here in America with very strong
    spiritual ties to the motherland on a Sub-Atomic level

you might call it DNA

are you black muslimgurl? are you muslim first, then black? and where do you live now, like what state or country?

and what do you consider yourself?

PEACE and LOVE

4. muslimgurl

muslimgurl Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes sir Bro DSS i'm a black muslim woman and you may place those attributes in what ever order most pleasing to you. I live in Houston and I was born in America. And as an American who is black it bothers me just a bit that people say things like "african american" when I don't hear them referring to others as Austrailian american or European American. I do agree with you that is the place from which we ALL originated however I also know that there is not an inch of this Earth that you can go and find no Black people. So I personally don't limit us to just one place. But that just me.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

muslimgurl,

Welcome to Destee! You make all the right arguments, which makes it easy to interject a simple truth. As you know, race is a phony sociological construct. Therefore currently, groups exist and not so-called races. While you seem to wish to get away from Africa, so the speak, or Alkebu-lan, whites are now calling themselves Africans, regardless of which culture, group or so-call race they represent. So, either all or Africans, or we can be nothing else, it would seem, since we are as you factually say, the original people, at least according to Mt DNA.

In actuality, the avant-garde view of people groups or so-call race designation is moving to a kind of genetic classification, as oppose to this old and out dated way in which we have been classified, in my view, what say you muslimgurl?

6. muslimgurl

muslimgurl Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Peace,
    Thank you for the welcome! I most certainly am not wishing to "get away from Africa" as you say. I am but one woman with a opinion who desires to learn from those different from me. And if white people are born on the continent of Africa they are Africans what's wrong with them calling themselves that?

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

muslimgurl,

Wait a minute sweetheart, please don't get me wrong here, okay. I simply complied with your post, and offered an opinion. What I understood you to say was that you didn't understand why we at Destee referred to ourselves as Africans, because Africans cover the globe, so to speak.

In my view, the in every continent part, reflects how the earth became populated, and supports your belief that we are the original people from which all others derived, correct?

It is not problematic for me that whites are calling themselves Africans, whether they were born there are not, and specifically I was making reference to those whites that are now calling themselves African born even here in America.

Are we okay?

8. muslimgurl

muslimgurl Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes sir!

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Good muslimgurl, thank you. Also, I have sent you a friendship request, and left a note on your profile page, will you be my friend?

10. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    so, you're saying that wherever black people are they should accept that nationality?

Welcome to Destee!