Black People : Why do some People HATE Christmas?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by sweet apple*pie, Dec 28, 2008.

1. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    You know....

The holidays are not an excitable time for all.....

Many view the holidays as a depressing time. They hate everything about it. The lights, the crowds at the mall, the decorations, the fake cheeriness....

Many are holding their breath until the whole ordeal is over....so they can forget about it until next year. They view the whole experience as over-rated. It can actually cause anxiety for many, and make many feel uncomfortable.

But why is this so?

I caught myself singing a Christmas song in the shower today, (Chestnuts roasting over an open Fire, to be exact), and all of sudden I was overcome with...saddness. I thought to myself, "Why does this song, or many Christmas songs, make one....sad?" I think I am going to research holiday depression....makes for interesting conversation.

Is it perhaps, that these songs remind us of happier times? Like Childhood? Times we can never get back? Does it seem like the good times are all in the past? I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

:spinstar: sweet apple*pie

2. Shadey

Shadey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    For some they don't have a partner to celebrate it with and it reminds them of how lonely they are.

3. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think this is a great start...

But I think it goes much deeper than that...

I really believe that the past has something to do with it.... Maybe it seems that every year, the world is getting worse?

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    yeah, there's the world getting worse bit. and there's the loneliness bit. there's the false cheeriness bit. then there's the december first birthday bit (and my sister on the 14th) and lumping the presents into one "gift" - not sure i ever got over that one! oh, and the carefully hidden/averted looks when they get the same ole cheery, good-will filled me instead of the sack of holiday season priced presents ...

then there's my chosen field; support of/for the have-nots: what kind of christmas is there when what feeble "support" there exists is not available on holidays? homelessness and "mental illness" don't take weekends or holidays. what good does it really do to "decorate" the wards, shelters or cells when the "staff" are all "cheery" but will be going home to "stuff"?

but, for me, the biggest bits are why good will only once per year? why has it turned into more of a capitalistic festival than the "goodwill is more important than presents" bit. why the "my presents are bigger/better than your presents" bit?

i miss my mommy. i miss the rum balls. i miss the pecan crescents. i miss the true yuletide cheer.

but i'm not sure that that actually captures it. personally, the depression sets in just before "thanks"giving and holds on until a day or two before the new year. i slept thru this one as much as possible. all day long i kept trying to remind myself of the "rescue scene" from shrek 3 (when snow white does her bit with the birdies and ends it with zepplin's immigrant song [that look of evil, that screeching as the birds attack!]) ... but that only sort of mostly worked. after my sister called to wish me greetings, them danged tears that had threatened all day finally fell ... i woke up, for the third time, around 7:30 and the depression had lifted enough that i actually smiled spontaneously and climbed into the shower.

"why?" loss of Family - mom passed in 04 and the family just dissolved; she got too sick to be as much into the whole thing in 01 and it all started falling apart.

wishing y'all a more prosperous new year than last!
    Wayne - anAfrican

5. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    It is difficult to hate...

what is not factual...!

6. Ionlyspeaktruth

Ionlyspeaktruth Banned

Ratings:
    +6
    Christmas is a

PAGAN holiday that has ZERO basis in truth. Christmas trees, fat white men etc... Dont get me wrong. As a time of year to take stock, to treat the less fortunate with kindness, as a time for family and friends, I have no problem with it. However, as a completely commercialized "holiday" and also telling our kids that some benevalent WHITE man is giving them presents... I enjoy the atmosphere and do not try and destroy the season for kids. but thats just me.

7. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    Christmas is based on so many lies

not EVERYONE had "happy" childhoods

think about it

Chrismatmas has so many expectations some care not to even bother

plus christmas has become a MATERIAL holiday with no REAL spirit

the only spirit is the rise you get opening a gift

so what do you do when there a no gifts, or no family, no friends

when you don't have these things you feel christmas has no REAL meaning

you said you were going to research holiday depression

i think the better question is research depression itself

and you asked
    everything is not the same for EVERYONE i know you know this

also most amerikkkan holidays have peculiar origins

when you research holiday depression

check on the holiday origin as well

THE REAL ORIGIN

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

sweet apple*pie,

It is remarkable that you continue to show constant growth in wisdom. Several posters have explained the commercial aspect of this season very well, yet the unction desires that you research the matter, as you have stated concerning holiday depression.

Each of us must come to understand for ourselves this travesty against the Bible that has taken place over many centuries. If no one else, please keep me abreast of your findings by posting back sweetheart.

9. Nasheed

Nasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    I dont hate but:

I don't celebrate it either. It's pagan in origin and is commercialized. IMHO, ppl get depressed because they go broke making other ppl rich. Spending massive amounts of money on the white mans beliefs is enough 2 depress anyone. I would get into the religious aspects of this but, I don't want 2 offend anyone.

10. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    this statement is an oxymoron

the travesty is sure not AGAINST the bible

the travesty is ................................... oh well

that's another thread