Pan Africanism : Why Do Some Deny They R Black?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Joyce, May 6, 2004.

1. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    To PanAfrica And All:

I read the first page of dialogue in another thread here and I must say that I was very surprised that many latino blacks don't consider themselves black . My heart is hurt because beliefs like this will keep us from embracing each other as one...permanently. Do they not remember where they come from? Sammy's people are descendants of African slaves. Do he not know that? Do the others not know that really?

How did they come to think like that?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Conformity Joyce, the desire to be like the ruling class. This is the simple answer. Racism & discrimination creates an environment, which makes the African (or any ethnic minority) ashamed of their roots. This is why many people deny their heritage. In most societies assimilation into the culture of the ruling class, is necessary to become prosperous. This is true for English, French, and Spanish societies. If a person comes from a culture which is deemed by the ruling class to be inferior, that person becomes more accepted (successful) the more they seperate themself from their original culture. For example in French colonies, acceptance was granted to natives who best mastered the french language & culture. The same occurred in Spanish colonies. Spain in particular has a society which makes deep divisions based on education and class. This social-economic structure was placed on their South American & Caribbean colonies as well. It goes without saying that Britain & the US also practice the same methods. If it becomes necessary for a people to distance themselves from their culture...their roots...in order to become successful in a particular society. Obviously some will take this pattern a step further, and deny that heritage altogether.

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree with Pan on this one. It's shown. Didn't Tiger Woods and Vin Diesel for instance, deny that they had black in them? I think I remember that, plus we know that many celebrities do it because they think they will get further in their careers if they do. It's a shame. Selling out for a dollar. Even in the everyday world people conform to what they think is acceptable in "White eyes". It's just the way everything is unfortunately now. They have us ashamed to be ourselves in fear that we will never get anywhere. Some act as if we have to mirror them to get ahead. I really think we see it alot more when there is a great deal of money involved.

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Also for the record I don't know whether or not Sosa considers himself to be Black/African. I just know that many Latinos of clear African heritage deny it. Actually a good person to ask would be brother Manasiac. He is an Afro-Cuban, and could provide a good answer to Joyce's question. Hopefully he will enter the conversation. There have been a handful of progressive Afro-Latinos who frequent this site like Olorun1. There have been others who have come on here, that insist they aren't (even though based on appearence they obviously are). Based on my personal encounters, I have met more Afro-Latinos who deny their blackness, than ones who embrace it (sad, but true). Hopefully through education this will change, it is what PanAfricanism is all about.

Some people deny their blackness, or our connection with each other because they don't know their history. One of my co-workers told me that he knew a black man from Guyana (South America). This guy would put down African Americans by saying that we had no country of our own, and that we had no culture of our own. In his mind blacks in Guyana were superior because they have their own culture & country. However, this man had no idea that his ancestors were African slaves, just like African Americans. Indeed all black people in the Americas (North America, South America, and the Caribbean) are the descendants of African slaves. The only thing which separates us is language, which is more of a reflection on what country bought us (England, France, or Spain), than it is of our heritage. By extention the same can be said of blacks in Europe, many of whom migrated from the Caribbean to Britian, Holland, Italy, etc. The link that ties us all together is Africa.

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Some Reasons why Latinos Deny their African Heritage – An Opinion:

1. The most obvious reason is that these people have been raised or taught to believe that Africans are inferior, some Latinos do not consider themselves of African or black because they think it is a degrading item. This is the same with any other person that is half and half. They have a denial process that entrenches and burns them for the rest of their lives. This can also be said of black people who do not claim their other side. For a long time I did not refer to myself as an Afro-Latino because I did not like Spanish or Latin people, and secondly because I was not raised in a traditional Latin or Spanish family, my mother is Black and Cherokee Indian and my Father was the Cuban who was raised by black thus this created a innate alienation Spanish and Latin people.

2. The Second reason my come as a shock to you but it is true. In other parts of the world in a lot of instances, people are viewed by their first name and nationality. Not as Black and White. We must understand that the Black and White Mentality started here in America and in other places it is a different type of institution IE - The Untouchables in India and other caste systems or class systems which are inherent within other cultures. For example in Brasil, there is a Hidden Negative Image of what we call Black Braslians; however, in their minds they are Braslians and not Black thus this creates an ignorance of their culture and their background as Africans. Why? Because their Mainstream nationalities are not teaching African History and Culture to them, they are teaching only Latin and Spanish Culture.

3. I also think that ethnic people tend to reject you because you are not like them. Example, when I tell other Latinos I am a Rodriquez and I do not speak Spanish, I can feel the anti-sentiment without them even speaking, too many blacks and other ethnic groups to tend to reject others who are not raised like them. This must really be absolved in order for the African Diasposra to Unify. (Please see Brother Alkebulans post about Dis-Unity in the Open Forum for more information about DisUnity and Unity)

I think the problem will be solved by a global acceptance and interaction of the African Diaspora. We must respect each others beliefs and cultures while at the same time keeping our hearts and minds open to other blacks who were not raised like us.

6. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks guys for enlightening me on this subject. It has been a real eye opener. I was aware of Tiger Woods denial of his African heritage. His father is mixed and his mom is asian. He takes to his mother's side of the family and considers himself asian. His father is black with some other, I think Indian and asian. With his father being only 1/4 black and his mother being half Thai, he tends to lean towards being mostly asian. In fact he claims Caucasian, African, Native American and Asian heritages. However, he doesn't deny being black altogether, just won't allow himself to be called black because that would be dening the heritage of his mother. This I can understand, but when an entire nation of people deny their african heritage, that is not right and you you all alluded to...devisive.

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Why are you surprised? Is it because you have little exposure to them?
    just curious

8. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    That "brotha" from Guyana needs to be put on a plantation again! Immediately too :mad:

9. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    You make some very valid points. But I have to disagree with you to some extent regarding Brazil. I think it depends on what part of Brazil you go to. In Rio, and I've been there. A large number of blacks and Mulatto are homeless. Over one million black and mulatto children live on the streets and favelas. And they're is a campaign to eradicate based on the fact that most of them steal or sell drugs to survive, as well as prostitution. This is not happening to the lighter skin or white brazilians. There is a growing black nationalist fervor arrising because of this dirty little covert campaign. You may be interested to know that of all people, Michaal Jackson wrote a song and did a video to bring some attention to the problem. Needless to say, blacks in Rio have a clear understanding about race and class.

In the north, in the state of Salvador, the african tradition is still very strong. There are even african sororitys that have been in existence there for 500 years. The rituals and customs are directy from Angola. So needless to say the pride in all things African is very strong there.

10. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Tiger woods calls himself, and don't quote me on the spelling... a coglanasian. He says he has caucasian, african american and asian heritage. I don't know that he's denied being part black. His father identifies himself as a black man. That much I know for sure. and he's very close to his dad. the man who taught him golf