Black People : Why do sexual non-traditionalist try to recruit others?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Oct 24, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I've often noticed than when people deviate from the norm in terms of their dating choices: Inter-racial marriage, multiple partners, swingers, cheaters, even homosexuals/bi-sexuals. They often try to either recruit others to their lifestyle, or try to reason the "everyone" else is doing the same. I've often thought on why this happens. Do people who do this not have the strength of conviction to stand on their own? Are the incapable of defending their choosen lifestyle any other way than trying to convince their critics that others do the same. Do these individuals need to "convert" others into their lifestyle in order to not feel isolated? Why do non-traditionalist try to recruit others into their lifestyle?

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I think you are right about alot of this behaviour. I think they feel the need to legitimize their choices for one. This is IMO the crux of their doings.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    you, of course, have never noticed any pressures to conform to a traditional lifestyle? :skillet:

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    What is "norm"?

Normality is a social construct! Which social construct do the majority of African Americans subscribe to and practice? How is it that we became transformed as a people such that our traditions were lost as we adopted someone else's traditional way of thinking and behaving. Were we gently coaxed into this transformation that we've been undergoing for however many years we've been in this country?

Oh my goodness Brother James you are so correct!!!!! We, as Africans, should know this more than anyone as far as being "recruited". Brother Pan's references are focused on sexual behavior but why is that so different than any other form of "recruiting", say, religion for example, or even culture?

Personally I've never witnessed what Brother Pan has described but if it does happen, I don't see it any differently than any other type of recruitment, persuasion, or social manipulation that goes on by white people or anyone that thinks their way is the best, the right or the only way.

It's called social dynamics.....

IMHO...Queenie :spinstar:

5. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    This is an old battle

I believe Brother panafrica and Brother jamesfrmphilly are dealing with two sides of the same coin and Sister Queenie sort of rounded it off.

I think this is just human nature.

In one sense "misery loves company"

In another sense " there is power in numbers"

Even some of todays largest religions and political ideas started off with a few believers and eventually convinced many, through either conversion, coercion or force.

It’s just human nature that's all.

IMO,

Brother Sun Ship

6. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Yes, I'm wondering the same thing with the interest in polygamy lately. I guess some folks do not have the stregth to stand on their own. Need to recruit others to their way of life.