The Front Porch : Why do people dislike reading history?

And nothing you COPIED & PASTED disaffirms ANYTHING I wrote, i.e., black people read more than any other demographic in the U.S., white, Asian, or other. Your post does confirm, however, that though we may read more, our READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS may be somewhat lacking.[/quote]

I have a choice in this...I can either play your game on this post (since it is obvious that you enjoy those as opposed to the truth) or I can leave this alone and let you stew in your own imagination of what is or is not. Why do I say this? I say this because, if what you stated was true, you would have gone straight into all my references and pulled out the facts to back up your claim. That's point #1. Point #2. Let us assume for a minute that what you said was true, which it isn't..."what good is it for any of our people to read if they can't COMPREHEND what they are reading???....DUH! I thought reading and comprehension were supposed to go together???

Now I can go into an abundance of references to prove my point...can you?....or is this something you still seek to imagine? Cognitive dissonance on top of denial is a heck of a thing to go through! Good Luck!!

The real beauty in this is that "Everybody Is Lying But You".

I have a choice in this...I can either play your game

Hold up. Right now. I don't know you, and if it's your style to attack rather than conversate, I'm not interested in making your acquaintance. This is only the 2nd thread in which you've ever posted to me. The first was to let me know I wasn't intelligent ("any intelligent person would...." agree with YOUR myopia, remember?). You begin the 2nd in "this" series with another insult. It is not you, but I.... who will not play your game. :wave:

Hold up. Right now. I don't know you, and if it's your style to attack rather than conversate, I'm not interested in making your acquaintance. This is only the 2nd thread in which you've ever posted to me. The first was to let me know I wasn't intelligent ("any intelligent person would...." agree with YOUR myopia, remember?). You begin the 2nd in "this" series with another insult. It is not you, but I.... who will not play your game. :wave:

Well thank you Sis! I have a lot of styles....never to be put in a box. If you felt insulted then maybe your hand called for it. Myopia is a defect that anyone can go through or have as it pertains to something...so if that was insulting for you then so be it...take your feelings out of the post and deal with just the facts and you won't go through those e-motions.

I must give you credit for making this personal as opposed to sticking with the facts in question...and as a result of that, not having to defend your position of imaginary realities concerning us as a people.

At the present point in time, there is not a report anywhere...by black people or any other people that confirms what you stated as being a TRUTH!!
Where are you getting your facts from to make the assumption that you did? According to the Tavis Smiley Report, here is the following.

We have also embedded documents that allow you to explore in detail the outcomes for young Black men in this country, including a compelling report from the Annie E. Casey Foundation that emphasizes the connection between early childhood literacy and dropout rates, a look at the achievement gaps between Black and white public school students from the Department of Education and a summary report from the newly created African American Male Achievement Task Force in the Oakland Unified School District.

- 54% of African Americans graduate from high school, compared to more than three quarters of white and Asian students.

- On average, African American twelfth-grade students read at the same level as white eighth-grade students.

- The twelfth-grade reading scores of African American males were significantly lower than those for men and women across every other racial and ethnic group.

- Only 14% of African American eighth graders score at or above the proficient level. These results reveal that millions of young people cannot understand or evaluate text, provide relevant details, or support inferences about the written documents they read.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley...fail/fact-sheet-outcomes-for-young-black-men/

What’s up with African American literacy rates?

As of 2009, the Department of Education reported that literacy rates for more than 50 percent of African American children in the fourth grade nationwide was below the basic skills level and far below average; and by the ninth grade nationwide, the situation had gotten worse, with the rate dropping below 44 percent.

http://ourweekly.com/news/2013/oct/03/whats-african-american-literacy-rates/

• Only 1 in 50 Latinos and 1 in 100 African American 17-year-olds can read and gain information from specialized text—such as the science section in the newspaper (compared to about 1 in 12 whites), and
  • Fewer than one-quarter of Latinos and one-fifth of African Americans can read the complicated but less specialized text that more than half of white students can read.
http://www.ascd.org/publications/ed.../vol58/num06/Closing-the-Achievement-Gap.aspx

Proficiency of Black Students Is Found to Be Far Lower Than Expected

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/09/education/09gap.html?_r=0

But a new report focusing on black males suggests that the picture is even bleaker than generally known.
Only 12 percent of black fourth-grade boys are proficient in reading, compared with 38 percent of white boys, and only 12 percent of black eighth-grade boys are proficient in math, compared with 44 percent of white boys.

BlackDemographics.com

2012 Black Population: 44.5 million, 14.2% of USA

In 2012 US Census Bureau estimated 44,456,009 African Americans in the United States meaning that 14.1% of the total American population of 313.9 Million is Black. This includes those who identify as ‘Black Only’ and as ‘Black in combination with another race’. The ‘Black Only’ category totaled 41.2 million African Americans or 13.1% of the total U.S population.

For Further reading on education and reading, go to;

http://blackdemographics.com/

Pardon the interruption brother Keita, I'm going to make this short and hopefully to the point.

In regards to the "academic achievement gap" there are a lot of factors involved but to a large degree Black youth do read, but tend to read non-fiction, and believe it or not they not much into Harry Potter which has a high reading laity level.

Try getting them to read non-fiction is like pulling teeth. But the Diary of A Wimpy Kid is producing just that.

Just sharing from an educator's perspective who quit the public school system because I was tired of dealing with a system which only plays lip service to closing that gap. And I was an English/social studies teacher whose students tended to score on the higher end of those achievement tests because I had an integrated curriculum which focused on comparative mythology.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back