The Front Porch : Why do people dislike reading history?

Gorilla

Jan 31, 2009
This book doesn't look like it offers enough for the prices it wants. There's too much available online for free and/or cheaper to really go out of one's way to pick this up. It's just not compelling enough, imho.

On the other hand, I still think someone deserves credit for making something like this in the first place.

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
Just who is it that will gain what, i. e., from what we claim and say via our discussions and debates, here?

As it is, most here don't realize the crisis public education is in the midst of, nor able or willing to realize how much things have changed, etc.?

If I or you or us truly intend to help them, then we have to not talk at and talk to the parents etc. of today's younger black folk...

Unless and until most of you are able and willing to, this also will be my last post on this thread...

FYI

Asomfwaa

Nov 16, 2011
History as portrayed in America as related to Africans has two common misconceptions: Either it is HUMILIATING or FABRICATED.

To go through Public School and not be Humiliated by History is TOUGH. The common effort is to let you think you were nothing before, during or after slavery. Many people are tricked into believing "History" is "Black man and woman are helpless." As 'well-read' as I try to be, I'm not interested in reading anything I believe presents me as helpless.

The other common misconception is that our people are fabricating information. I recall my earlier days of awakening and reading how some things are false and some other things are silly. If I believe something is fabricated, I oftentimes don't read much further.

These two factors are what one should dispel if one wants someone to read a Historical Document.

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
History as portrayed in America as related to Africans has two common misconceptions: Either it is HUMILIATING or FABRICATED.

To go through Public School and not be Humiliated by History is TOUGH. The common effort is to let you think you were nothing before, during or after slavery. Many people are tricked into believing "History" is "Black man and woman are helpless." As 'well-read' as I try to be, I'm not interested in reading anything I believe presents me as helpless.

The other common misconception is that our people are fabricating information. I recall my earlier days of awakening and reading how some things are false and some other things are silly. If I believe something is fabricated, I oftentimes don't read much further.

These two factors are what one should dispel if one wants someone to read a Historical Document.
Do you have any child presently enrolled in a public school?

If you aren't either a teacher-- and/or have children who are enrolled--your take is bound to be a tad bit dated....

By the way: One of my in laws is a retired teacher....

FYI

Asomfwaa

Nov 16, 2011
Do you have any child presently enrolled in a public school?

If you aren't either a teacher-- and/or have children who are enrolled--your take is bound to be a tad bit dated....

By the way: One of my in laws is a retired teacher....

FYI
Because White people changed their school system, right?

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
I was answering the question as best I know how . . ..

I went to school and reflected on experience.
We're not writing/talking/etc. about the schools of our past...

The schools of the present are the such of our young people issues/problem/etc. and eventually our communities etc. as well...

FYI

Asomfwaa

Nov 16, 2011
We're not writing/talking/etc. about the schools of our past...

The schools of the present are the such of our young people issues/problem/etc. and eventually our communities etc. as well...

FYI
Yeah the teachers of today were the students of yesterday. Therefore the students of yesterday can explain the teachers of today.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

Life is a poem, love is the pen.
Charles Thompson wrote on Enki's profile.
Good evening
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love:
Destee wrote on Charles Thompson's profile.
Hi Chuck ... is that you?!!! ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! ... :yaay: ... I sure hope so! I have thought of you often! If it is not you, sorry for writing on your profile page @Charles Thompson and Welcome! ... :wave: