Jails / Prisons : Why Do Our Children Choose Things That Lead to Prison & Death?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Hello Family,

Now that i'm living all in the 'hood, getting an up-close and personal view of our children selling drugs, living the most stressful life possible ... with prison and death the most sure of endings ... why are they doing this?

I refuse to believe that they simply "want" this lifestyle. It's much too stressful an option to choose. I think they don't feel as though they have other options, at least, other options that are more appealing.

Is it possible for us to come up with options that appeal to them, or make the ones that are out there, more appealing to them?

It's like you see a child that's hungry, yet when you put food before him, he doesn't eat. Would it really be the child's fault that they didn't eat, or would it be necessary for the adult who's feeding the child, to find out why they won't eat what is put before them?

There are reasons why are children are doing these very destructive things to their lives and i'd like to know what those reasons are and what can we do to turn the tide.

:heart:

Destee

2. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think that the rap industry makes it seem sooo glamorous, that they are attracted to it more....or maybe cuz its easy money...ima wait for the others to reply...
    :heart:
    -story

3. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    They say the sins of the father will visit the son. Young males and females need guidance.... there is a huge vacuum there.

4. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    They do it because they think that that is the only way that they are going to be able to get out of the hood. In this country money is power. How can someone coming out of homes; sometimes, where their parent' were on drugs or living within poverty, getting substandard education, and everyone looking down upon them, instead of offering to them an option; or if not an option,
    a way of seeing what is going on around them, so that they could make better choices.

How about We return to loving them? Offering a piece of bread sometimes?

Rap doesn't have to glorify this. This they see upclose and in real time. Our kids want things just like everybody's kids... many of Our kids, stuck in this kind of life, don't have Mama and Daddy to give them a hand up. And society will denigrate and marginalize them, at the same time needing them to stay in their place; And We ain't helping.

5. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I think that most of our children, as well as some adults have lost their pride. Don't get me wrong when I say this, They do have some pride but it's more to do with the ego. They don't know their beautiful history. How our ancestors lived way back before slavery raped our people of our royal rights. Sure they now how many of us persished at the brutal hands of of a nation that hated us because of our skin color. But what they don't realize is that it was'nt our color in truth, but the fact that we were the first race to evolve, grow, and built the basis of which all races have come to prosper. That everything that the white man now claims as being the first to conquer with their intellect, had been stolen from us or should I say mimiced. I myself don't have much knowledge of my grandparents on both sides. Both my parents left home and only one looked back about 12 yrs ago when my grandfather became ill. I'm just beginning to understand who I am. So there is no doubt in my mind that most don't know who they are because no one in their family has told them. Not because they did'nt want to, but because they did'nt know either. With society deeming them as the most unrully of a whole nation, and least to acheive anything other than a space in prison, unwed mother's, illiterate heathens, and many other things that I don't have to mention. They have manisfested this I don't give a pluck attitude. But deep inside they are crying for any kind of acknowlegdement. While inside out, they are dying. I wish that I knew the truth about my people other than their struggles today. I could have taught my children the background of their ancestors. Instead, they are just beginning to know the bits and pieces that I tell them as I become more aware. Our children have lost their identity. They don't understand why they should be proud. So know they are despartely trying to create their own identity by being viewed as the most dangerous, the most destructive african American rebels that every came out of slavery. And this is all unconsiously. They aren't even aware of why the are falling between the cracks. And most of us don't understand why either. That's why we can't seem to grasp the solution to save our children. We have to start feeding our young with the knowledge of our beautiful history of way back when. Maybe I'm looking a bit to deep into this,
    or maybe I'm completely wrong. This is what I believe has happened to our children. This I believe is the reason why they choose things that lead to prison and death.

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    For a great majority of our youth their only job prospects are either working at McDonalds for $5.15 an hour or dealing on the street & becoming strippers. We have to improve job prospects in our communities. We have to make it more affordable to go to college (if nothing else we need to take away the stigma of going to community colleges). When faced with the choice of making $5hr (which no one can live off), and making $500 a day on the streets. The streets is the logical choice. It isn't the right choice in a moral sense, nor is it good for the community, but it is a "no brainer" economically. So what we have to do is provide an alternative to our young brothers and sisters. We have to make the economics of hustling and ho'ing no longer attractive alternatives. However, this will not happen until we start forming our own companies, and becoming our biggest employers. By this stage in the game it should be obvious to all that white people are not going to save us.

7. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    What's wrong with working at McDonald's as a teen? Heck, I did it! And so did many other kids, white and black.

What I noticed is that there are many white kids working at McDonald's or Burger King during the summer. Where else can teens work that is age appropriate?

These restaurants are NOT a career, but a means to learning how to earn money and perhaps buy your own school gear.

But our children want to immitate those who are on the streets making big bucks selling drugs. This is what leads to death and destruction.

I had a boss who was very wealthy. His daughters worked in fast food restaurants during the summer. Just because DADDY had bucks, he wanted them to experience the work world. And rightfully so.

My son works at a department store in security. It does not pay big bucks, but he knows that this store is NOT his career. Likewise, my daughter is working in a job that is not her career field right now, but eventually, she will be in her field after graduation from college.

Our kids are making wrong decisions because they are not having the proper guidance. They need strong and positive parents and/or role models. And not necessarily just black people.

That same former boss has offered to help my son with his tuition. The black man sperm donor dad of his has done nothing other than pay meager child support and when that was done, never offered another coin. But my son had a strong black mother with backbone who told him that he's not a failure, that he's going to be a success, and who made sure he had the educational tools necessary for that success.

Education was extremely important in my home. And I kept my kids away from negative associations. While young girls were out sexing grown men, my daughter was inside hitting her books. She was not allowed to associate with wild girls. And she was teased, but look at her today, no kids, her own apartment and car and getting ready to graduate next year.

My kids have seen the results of not having an education. Too many girls my daughter's age are on welfare with a bunch of kids. Too many boys my son's age are in prison or dead. Black men under 25 are getting killed every week in my area; and it is usually drug related.

Another thing I know for a fact - there have been employers in my area who have offered internships for black youth at prestigious places such as major banking operations, etc. And other employers offer internships to college students. How many times have I informed black youth of these opportunities and they didn't take advantage of it. "I'm not working this summer" or "I aint got time for dressing up in a suit!" are some of the responses that I've received.

And for those who did accept the opportunities, they were teased, called Uncle Toms, all because they choose to wear pants up on their waists (men) and wear a nice suit with heels (women). I've experienced it myself.

Our youth want what other kids have, even when they know parents cannot afford it. So if we don't give them those $200 sneakers, someone can convince them to sell drugs and they can buy their own.

I laughed when my daughter informed me that the kids would beat her up if she came to school with shoes from Payless. Of course I didn't go out and buy what I couldn't afford and she did not get beat up.
    What Bill Cosby said was to had been offensive to black people, but the man was telling the truth. Too many black folks put more value in expensive trinkets instead of an education. And if I hear again that the teachers are failing our kids, I will scream because that is not true.

What is your child doing out at 2:00 a.m. on a school night? Why did you buy him or her Playstation 2, Gameboy, Nintendo, X-box (some kids have them ALL) when you could had spent money on tutoring when they are failing in a grade? And why aren't you, the parent, home with the child instead of clubbing?

These things are why our kids are in jail or dead. Yet, we tend to blame it on the teachers, etc.

Parents today lack parental skills. This is not just in the black families, but I've seen it in other families.

A stray bullet can kill one of my kids while they are on their way to church or to class, but if they are out on the corner with negative people after midnight, then the chances are higher.

And the past of slavery is over. Let's move on and focus for the future. I'm ever so grateful for the hard work and tribulations of those before us, such as MLK Jr and others.

My kids have the right to attend the colleges of their choice, which they did. And I have a nice job in a company which enables me to maintain. And I love what I do.

We need to stop being "victims" and stop thinking that blacks are the only ones who have ever suffered. We gotta stop with making excuses. So what if your father wasn't there? And black women need to stop projecting their hatred for the absent fathers onto their kids.

You see, I have been given wisdom in these matters since I have turned my life over to the Lord. And with Him in my corner, I'm a success and not blaming anyone for things I do which results in disaster.
    Daily, I'm learning and pass these things on to my children.

If your child tells you that they want to be a doctor or nurse, please take the steps to help them towards that goal. Don't worry about money for education...trust me, God will provide it in ways you just don't know. This will keep our kids on the path of success instead of in jail or lying in the local morgue.

8. stepup

stepup Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the reason is very simple

Bad parents = bad children

9. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Welcome to Destee's Stepup!

It's nice to see you adding you veiw
    into the discussions here. I hope to
    read more from you.

Did you know that being a premium member
    can offer you other great benefits to
    enhance your experience here?

Here is a link to the benefits of being
    a premium member located below:

http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26882

I hope you read it and consider joining us as a premium member.

We appreciate your interest in the community
    and hope to see you active here for a long time!

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Excellent point Stepup!

Queenie :spinstar: