Black People : Why do Little girls buy black dolls

nikknikk19

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 21, 2011
ga/nyc
Occupation
BSN Student
Why is it that little white girls love buying up all of the black dolls? Even around christmas time I will carts filled with black dolls accompanied by white little girls and their parnts. Yet, mixed race children and hispanics seem to always opt for white dolls. I remember when American girl launched their first black doll, Abby. They sent me a video tape promo in the mail. It was my first piece of mail as a little and I was so excited to feel like a grown up. Then I played the tape and discovered Abby was a slave. All I could think was but all of my other dolls are free. smh. I made my father buy me my Abby doll along with all of her books. And her homemade icecream maker. I still have my Abby doll; no scratches no missing pieces. When my kid sister turned 7 my parents threw her a birthday party at American Girl and all of the Abby dolls were sold out. Last 3 all went into white hands. My sister against my father's will received her first white doll. My father asked her why she wanted a white doll and she said b/c everyone else had a doll, but the birthday girl. My parents kicked out $100 for this white doll just to make my sister happy. But, I'll never forget my dad saying he ought to snatch one of those Abby dolls from one of those little white girls. And that they only wanted her because they wanted to be like their grandfathers and own a slave. He was joking, but I knew he said it half jokingly. So why is it that little whites girls ask their parents for black dolls and it doesn't seem to destroy their self esteem as it does to us? What do these little girls get out of owning black dolls?:SuN024:

wow, she was a slave? I've never heard of American Girl doll.

I really dont think the white doll per se destroys the self esteem of little black girls...it's a combination of so many different things. The fact that some little girls only want white dolls, or ascribe positive attributes to the white dolls usually let their parents know there is a problem. But it's not the dolls fault, she's sort of like the litmus test...

american girl

I really dont think the white doll per se destroys the self esteem of little black girls...it's a combination of so many different things. The fact that some little girls only want white dolls, or ascribe positive attributes to the white dolls usually let their parents know there is a problem. But it's not the dolls fault, she's sort of like the litmus test...

yeah they have them in ny don't know about down here as i'm not from down here and don't know my way around like that since i'm just here for school and don't care to get comfortable.

Why is it that little white girls love buying up all of the black dolls? Even around christmas time I will carts filled with black dolls accompanied by white little girls and their parnts. Yet, mixed race children and hispanics seem to always opt for white dolls. I remember when American girl launched their first black doll, Abby. They sent me a video tape promo in the mail. It was my first piece of mail as a little and I was so excited to feel like a grown up. Then I played the tape and discovered Abby was a slave. All I could think was but all of my other dolls are free. smh. I made my father buy me my Abby doll along with all of her books. And her homemade icecream maker. I still have my Abby doll; no scratches no missing pieces. When my kid sister turned 7 my parents threw her a birthday party at American Girl and all of the Abby dolls were sold out. Last 3 all went into white hands. My sister against my father's will received her first white doll. My father asked her why she wanted a white doll and she said b/c everyone else had a doll, but the birthday girl. My parents kicked out $100 for this white doll just to make my sister happy. But, I'll never forget my dad saying he ought to snatch one of those Abby dolls from one of those little white girls. And that they only wanted her because they wanted to be like their grandfathers and own a slave. He was joking, but I knew he said it half jokingly. So why is it that little whites girls ask their parents for black dolls and it doesn't seem to destroy their self esteem as it does to us? What do these little girls get out of owning black dolls?:SuN024:

Hmmm...my guess would be for the same reason their mothers want thicker lips, bigger behinds, and darker skin (tanning salons). Black women are seen as beautiful by more white people than you think. Yes, we are beautiful...

"NIKKNIKK" i never seen what your talking about.

blackeyes parents let their kids watch too much television.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back