Black People : Why do Little girls buy black dolls

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by nikknikk19, Mar 27, 2011.

1. nikknikk19

nikknikk19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

BSN Student
    Ratings:
    +40
    Why is it that little white girls love buying up all of the black dolls? Even around christmas time I will carts filled with black dolls accompanied by white little girls and their parnts. Yet, mixed race children and hispanics seem to always opt for white dolls. I remember when American girl launched their first black doll, Abby. They sent me a video tape promo in the mail. It was my first piece of mail as a little and I was so excited to feel like a grown up. Then I played the tape and discovered Abby was a slave. All I could think was but all of my other dolls are free. smh. I made my father buy me my Abby doll along with all of her books. And her homemade icecream maker. I still have my Abby doll; no scratches no missing pieces. When my kid sister turned 7 my parents threw her a birthday party at American Girl and all of the Abby dolls were sold out. Last 3 all went into white hands. My sister against my father's will received her first white doll. My father asked her why she wanted a white doll and she said b/c everyone else had a doll, but the birthday girl. My parents kicked out $100 for this white doll just to make my sister happy. But, I'll never forget my dad saying he ought to snatch one of those Abby dolls from one of those little white girls. And that they only wanted her because they wanted to be like their grandfathers and own a slave. He was joking, but I knew he said it half jokingly. So why is it that little whites girls ask their parents for black dolls and it doesn't seem to destroy their self esteem as it does to us? What do these little girls get out of owning black dolls?:SuN024:

2. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    wow, she was a slave? I've never heard of American Girl doll.

I really dont think the white doll per se destroys the self esteem of little black girls...it's a combination of so many different things. The fact that some little girls only want white dolls, or ascribe positive attributes to the white dolls usually let their parents know there is a problem. But it's not the dolls fault, she's sort of like the litmus test...

3. nikknikk19

BSN Student
    Ratings:
    +40
    american girl

yeah they have them in ny don't know about down here as i'm not from down here and don't know my way around like that since i'm just here for school and don't care to get comfortable.

4. TXDiamond

TXDiamond Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    Hmmm...my guess would be for the same reason their mothers want thicker lips, bigger behinds, and darker skin (tanning salons). Black women are seen as beautiful by more white people than you think. Yes, we are beautiful...

5. THE-GOD

THE-GOD Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +128
    "NIKKNIKK" i never seen what your talking about.

blackeyes parents let their kids watch too much television.

6. nikknikk19

BSN Student
    Ratings:
    +40
    Maybe you don't shop enough. Or you're not in NY.:SuN011:

7. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Well, your father, even "half-jokingly," wasn't off the mark.

TODAY, little White girls get Black dolls for some of the same reasons that, during slavery, White children had slave play-mates (only until a certain age, of course, then they were expected to embrace the "grooming" of their society.---no more playing with the "pickaninnies.")

And that continued loooong after slavery into integration....White kids would have a "little Black friend" in elementary school but would not continue that association as they got older.....even in junior high/HS, they would be so "friendly" at school but would act like they didn't even know you if they saw you out in public like at the mall or the movies or a restaurant somewhere when they were with their family or their other White friends.

It was considered so "cute" for White children to have a "little Black friend" and that mindset just continued on to DOLLS.-----See how "MULTI-CULTURAL" they are to buy their daughters a BLACK DOLL.

This is another off-shoot of the "I'm not prejudice. Some of my best friends are Black people."

And so it morphs into..."I had lots of Black dolls when I was little" or " I buy my little girl lots of Black dolls."

Moreover, I stressed "TODAY" because this trend was certainly not the norm 30 years ago when "Cabbage Patch" dolls came out.....You didn't see no White girls with a Black Cabbage Patch.

And if there were some, it wasn't many.

8. nikknikk19

BSN Student
    Ratings:
    +40
    great reply

:bowl::bowl:

You touched on the history of it. I had completely forgot about that. So that is what a picanniny is. smh. yeah i still can't believe american girl's only black doll is a **** slave. I still have my abby doll intact. Kids go there and play with these dolls dress them in ski and ski masks and abby is a **** slave. Non of the white dolls are indentured servants

9. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    CHECK THIS OUT FOR BLACK DOLLS...

Re: Black Doll-ezine

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackdollezine/

"The DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO COLLECTING BLACK DOLLS" by Debbie Behan Garrett

DOLLS IN THE SPOTLIGHT
    WHAT'S IN A NAME, AN AFROCENTRIC DOLL'S NAME, THAT IS?
    by Debbie Garrett

...While most of the dolls' names discussed in this article have African origins, many have other origins. Even so, the original version of these names or a variation thereof is frequently used by African Americans in actual child naming. This article highlights a selection of dolls (all but one being from my personal collection) whose "afrocentric" names were influenced by those of actual African-American children or dark skinned children from other countries. I have researched each name and have included each name's origin and its meaning, if that information was available. ....

Amber:

[​IMG]

Ayoka:

[​IMG]

Hadiza:

[​IMG]

Katiba:

[​IMG]

Fapesa:

[​IMG]

Keishama:

[​IMG]