Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Why Do Black Women Run From Their Roots ?

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Destee, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Yes, i'm talking about hair ... our naturally coiled roots ... why do we run from them?

Are we ashamed of the way God made us? Do we think our own natural hair is ugly?

I've been wearing my natural hair for about a year and half, and since doing this, i can't help but notice how the vast majority of Sisters chemically alter their hair (just as i did for so many years).

It's making me wonder, why this is. Why do we do this?

The fact that it's done so collectively amongst Black Women, suggests that its deeper than individual choices.

Why are Black Women the only women, that (collectively) chemically alter their hair, and their daughter's hair?

Why do Black Women continue to do this even today?

Do Black Women hate their naturally coiled hair?

Are Black Women striving to be like white women, by straightening their hair?

I'm really looking forward to this discussion, so thanks in advance!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. Aljahiz

Aljahiz Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    you know why, you didnt even have to bring it up

3. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    i think the previous response borders on being rude - check ya self!

pressure 2 conform; peer pressure; desire 4 acceptance; tryin not 2 rock the boat; cultural ignorance; material aquisition; societal "norms"; upward social mobility; social acceptance; avoiding ridicule; thats all i can think of off the top.

hv u noticed that we pretty much all wear european clothing?

& what about the brothers who won't (or rarely) date a sister thats goes natural?

good topic sistah Destee :welldone:

4. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Beloved Aljahiz write: you know why, you didnt even have to bring it up

Beloved, Aljahiz, I am good at spotting Agents and distracters, the Only human Being mind-set, you know the ones who is anti-nature, workers of Iniquities (evil/rude). Prove me wrong and tell me you are not one, not that I will receive that because all your post have nothing but negativity in it about what is being shared.

Beloved Qg Destee, precious we are afraid of our roots because we do not have a memorization/remembrance of the roots we came from. Have we ever seen a tree, and its roots left it? NO. The roots continues to grow from that same tree. The Spirit of Nature leads and guides us, and we must (action) word return to NATURE, all that is NAtural.

Most of us have not regained our Divine mind-set, after the slave lobotomized us with their mind-set, the only human being mind-set, which is anti-Nature/Natural, workers of Iniquities those slave master minds are. It is like having amnesia. We must hurry and remember who we once were as Divine gods/goddesses, with original thoughts of Harmony, Order, and Balance, and in all that is Truth and reality.

Sometimes I wonder if the Black holocaust coming to us, we are already in the Black Holocaust because of so many of our people backwards thinking.

Um!

HILY/A:kiss1:

g Isis

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I spoke to you not too long ago and educated you to the fact that your attitude is not appreciated here. Now here you are jumping on my heart telling her what she doesn't need to bring up? Is consciousness unattainable for you?

Yes, queen Goddess Auset, it is about the roots that go far deeper than our scalps. The chemical warfare we rage against our hair is a manifestation of the holocaust waged against our very being.

I applaud you, queen sister goddess Destee. What you are doing (affirming our natural beauty) is an important link to our return (botunde) to our pristine heritage.

Keep doing whatcha doing, sista ^5

And like brotha oldsoul said the other night natural hair is discouraged by the "experts" because there is no money in it for them. We must collectively regain the power to encourage ourselves. The wonderful secret of going natural is that once you do folks aren't really as down on it as we thought they would be. When I walk by men stop what they are doing to look at me. "How you doinng today, Miss, Rhonda?"

I keep calling after you
    But that's all that I can do
    Your eyes tell me to pursue
    But she say look yea, but don't touch, baby
    Naw naw don't touch
    --The Isley Brothers

6. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Very important point is made here.

"The wonderful secret of going natural is that once you do folks aren't really down on it as we thought they would be."

And this is why some of us have been saying that its not about "what black men want". Again, its a matter of choice.

Some sisters need to stop using black men as an excuse for them choosing NOT to go "happily natural" and deal with their own matter of personal CHOICE. And then deal honestly WHY they CHOOSE to alter not only their hair, but other "cosmetic disfigurements" of their NATURAL BEAUTY.

Oddly enough, before seeing this post I was on another site and ran across a personal profile for Lil' Kim.

A PATHOLOGY exists that needs to be dealt with THIS generation.

Peace!

7. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Indeed it is a pathology. I dare say it is even an addiction. Try telling a long time perner about the dangers of those chemicals and how they get down into the scalp. It's like telling a chain smoker about the dangers of nicotine. They either don't want to hear it or they will agree with you yet keep on doing it.

8. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Funny this thread comes up the the same week I was talking with a mexican guy at my job, he said his hair used to be down to his waist, then he cut it and sold it to a hair weaving place. He was talking negativley about a woman who manages the hotel next door. Talking about how awful her weave looked, which it did. I wanted to defend her, but then again what could I have said? I agreed, I didn't want to hear some mexican talking bad about a sister, but she made the choice. I hope some women overstand that they're making themselves look foolish when they wear these terrible looking blond weaves/wigs.

I am not trying to chastise or ridicule any one, but just know when you buy weaves you are purchasing human hair from asians, mexicans, indians and various other races that hate your guts!

I read that celbrities like Beyonce and Tyra Banks pay up to $5,000 for weaves, of real hair from women in some far off asian/indian land. I can only hope the consciousness in this thread spreads.

But to answer destees questions, television and pop culture has much to do with it, as eell as history in general. sadly this trend has spread to other continents and countries! I noticed when Oprah opended her school the first thing those beutiful young black girls learned was to wear a hideous blonde wig/weave.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Very True, Brotha.

However, I will not give my view, for I feel that many Brothas and Sistahs here are conscious of the Benefits (if there are any) and Dangers of fake hair, such as the fact that they contain a high amount of Cancer-causing chemicals. What really dis-appoints me about this, is the fact when you give birth to children and have all of these Cancer agents in the hair/body, the children start off life very, very unhealthy.

Lastly - Please tell me what is wrong with just being natural? I really fail to understand that.

MK