Black Women : Why do black women get mad about ....

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Nisa, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    :maddd: I just have a question. Why is it that black women get mad when we see a white woman wearing braids or have a black man on their arm, or rocking baby phat.. While we are here with blonde weave, blue contacts, wearing tommy hilfiger...getting perms...I don't get it..someone help a sister out...it would be appreciated. If yall dont get mad just tell me why.. Thanks again

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Black women should be to see bruthas wrap around a white woman
    or trying be or act black but your right i can't see why we try to be
    white with contacts we known for nappy hair we seek perm hair style
    amazement color of gold , blonde and many others not us nor make you
    sexy, but i'm not a woman i can say why.............good questions

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    They just be hatin. Plain and Simple.

4. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hmm... at the risk of starting a war here, I believe that we Black women distrust White women for trying to be like "us". We live a double standard. See, we've been taught for so long that to be White was to be beautiful (there are still people in my family that do that dumb paper bag test), while at the same time, we (secretly) admire other Black women for reclaiming their roots. To see a White woman do what is supposed ot belong to us burns us up inside. We have internalized the "white is right" rhetoric while at the same time clinging to the African roots.

I hope that sense.

To conclude this before I make a complete fool of myself, it's just one of those things. Most of us are scared to "go back" but we don't want to see anyone else do it before us. WE don't think White women have the "right" to braid their hair or whatever, but we call blonde hair and blue contacts "the style" or we say we're doing it to be "different."

5. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
    Okay..because to me im like..what the hell..it just confuzzled me (confused..and puzzled)..

6. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    Most things have been stolen in some form from blacks, so when I see whites copying the style of dress or hairstyles, speech or whatever, I chaulk it up to what has been happening for quite some time now. I'm not offended because they do not change who I am. They are trying to assimilate with us. (in my view) whether they realize that or not.

7. atomicangel

atomicangel Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    i agree with toylin.
    personally, i dont care what a white girl does as long as they know where and who the styles came from i.e. black people.
    as far as white women with our black men, i dont really take any notice because it doesn't really affect me. i've got some white friends who date black guys as well as whites, so maybe that's why i'm talking like i dont really mind.
    :smokin:

8. Nisa

Ratings:
    +31
    But Isn't that stooping to their level.....two wrongs dont make a right..just my opinion

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Not ALL Black women react the way you describe Sister Nisa. Some might, others don't care. Those who might be bothered by white women sporting braids and hanging on the arm of Black men may be due to the nature of racism in this society. Some sisters are bothered by it and some might say they have darn good reason to be. Why would some of these sisters wear perms (and I thought the Hilfiger incident was proven to be an urban myth)? I think it's a personal choice for the most part, but maybe for some, there might be some racial identity confusion involved as well. Those who might not be bothered by "the white woman syndrome" are making a conscious effort not to be, which I genuinely believe is driven by racism as well. Some are stuck in a certain mindset and others are trying to move on in spite of it.

Brother Manasiac, I don't know that I fully understand what you mean by just "hatin'" plain and simple, but I'm sure you know as well as I that racism has had a profound impact on Blacks and it runs deep within the conscious and subconcious minds of most of us. Whether we choose to dislike white people or not dislike white people, I believe either way the decision is consciously made with racism taken into consideration.

Queenie :spinstar:

10. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39

Thank you Sister Queenie...I was sincerely starting to get worried as I read this thread.

You are salvation... :bowdown: and your name is becoming... :spinstar:

Thank you for raising this discussion to the level upon which it deserved to be addressed. :grouphug:

Your response spoke of my own sentiment...