Black Entertainment : Why do black people sleep on Meshell N'degeocello and Lenny Kravitz??

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by kente417mojo, Jan 23, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    What's up with that? They make better, more creative music than all of these no instrument playing, only sound good in the studio wannabe singers. Why is it that black people as a whole don't embrace these kind of artist? Speak on it.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    not sure ...but most sleep on the soundz that please the ear

3. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    I mean, don't get me wrong but there are some artist out there who are making tons of money and can sing no better than the common person in the shower. I'm not hatin or anything...I just think that the quality of music is on the decline. The artists who actually display talent are over-looked.

4. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Where are the ears of our people?

If I were to list the extraordinary Black musicians and singers, that Black people have slept, and are still sleeping on, for the last 50 years, the list would be long!

Peace

5. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    I think people get caught up in fads sometimes. I don't buy too many cds, but I liked Meshell ever since I first heard of her. Liked her in that duet remake of Wild Nights...remember that one? I can appreciate anyone that has pure talent, and try to open myself to different genres.

6. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I love Lenny's music. I don't know who the other guy is. I live in NYC, and the radio stations that deal with black entertainment, don't really play Rock n Roll. I happened to stumble across Lenny. That song, Fly Away was the first thing I ever heard of his. And I heard it on a commercial. I found out who he was on my own. And I've been supporting him ever since. Black rockers aren't really in the "hood." So young black youth isn't privey to hearing the music they put out. Another reason is that a lot of people are stuck in their ways. They don't want to hear anything about Lenny Kravitz. It's all about 50 cent and Beyonce and Ludacris and so on and so forth. If it ain't Rap, R&B, maybe so old skool R&B, they are not going to give it a fair shot.

7. Johari1969

Johari1969 New Member MEMBER

student
    Ratings:
    +0
    People are sleeping, but most times it is involuntarily. Marketing is not concerned about the quality of an artist - so unless a quality artist is highly marketable, they won't be exposed to the masses. How about this, when you get a new Lenny Kravitz album or Me'shell Ndege'Ocello album - play it for every Black person you know. Do the marketing that their record companies don't.

8. kente417mojo

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah, I guess that's the sad truth. When I do get a CD from artist that I feel have talent that I think others should hear, I definately pass on the word. I send emails, I play songs for people and word of mouth also. Thanks for all the comments.

9. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Go ahead and add Fishbone to the list of black alternative artists that black people sleep on. I don't know if they are still together as a group, but they have realesed about 6 CDs. :wink:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the truth about lenny kravitz