Black Spirituality Religion : Why do Black people follow Christianity?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Observer, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Observer

Observer New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm genuinely curious as to why Black people follow Christianity. It is generally understood here that Whites have mistreated Africans all over the world. But if that's the case, why do Blacks center their lives so heavily around Christianity, which is obviously a "White" religion? By White, I mean that it would've never been introduced to Africans had it not been for slavery. Does this make slavery acceptable, if only to introduce millions more people to Christianity?

Also, Christianity was used by Whites to discriminate against people of other races and cultures. Missionaries were sent to civilize the "savages" of Africa. Yet for all the complaints about the racism of Whites, do you think that the basis for that discrimination is in Christianity? Do you think you would discriminate against Muslims or Gays if you weren't Christian? Also, why do you think God chose Whites and not Blacks to spread Christianity?

So there's the problem. If you accept the bible, you also have to be somewhat accepting of slavery and the White mistreatment of blacks, for without it some of you might never have heard of Christianity. Furthermore, you also reject a large amount of African culture, which Christianity deems barbaric and uncivilized.

I'm curious as to how people respond.

2. hiphopolx

hiphopolx Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +209
    Nothing can make slavery accecptable from the perspective of the slave. But from a barbaric, unintelligent and lazy culture, you would see slavery acceptable being that your very survivable depended on it. If you look into early in American history before, during ,and a little after the europeans revolted against their homeland because they themselves were getting 'pimped' they were going thru some hard times (dying) something they don't like to talk about too much. So they were desperate. And didn't travel across the Atlantic to bring back anybody they needed ppl who knew argriculture.

3. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    :wave: Hello Observer and Welcome!:wave:

:heart:

4. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    why do you think...

if you look at civilizations around the world,all through time mostly all peoples believed in a higher power whether it was one god-jahovah-yawee-zeus-ect.it was known that there was one supreme being,of course if you know anything about white folk you know that they are only gonna accept what they believe to be true,no they weren't[chosen]to teach anything they just had a plan and they're still working it today.

5. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Study the history of ETHIOPIA. They were and still continue to be "Christians" and have been from at least 330 A.D.

6. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61

I have wondered many times myself about why they accept it. I came up with the following reasons.

1. It lets the guilty off the hook by saying someone died for you sins.
    2. Its accepted by many peers.
    3. Since alot of bibles are given out free its easy to get in a conversation with among people.
    4. There are simply more churches than mosques or any other religious building.
    5. Spirituality and not religion requires way more discipline to learn.
    6. Your own intepretation of a Christian's words are easy to get since the words are some **** confusing.

7. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    [email protected] writes:
    Religions: Social control experiments created around the intellectual debris of both real and imagined social misfits that posit absolute truth over subjective reality. There is scant reality in all religions--there is more absolute truth in some religions--there is less inner truth in more religions--there is no truth editing in all religions.

Religion: Scareway to heaven. 2) To bind again-a bondage. 3)A deep reverence for that which is perceived to be external to and greater than one's self. 4)A hairy concept trapped in fuzzy minds and vice versa. 5) psycho-emotional bonding and binding. 6). The deification of escape (to the conscious). 7. he methadone for the masses. 8. The trap of defining the way (prescribed truth) rather than discovering and uncovering it (one's own inner truth). 9) a proxy for numinous life-encounter. 10) The corpse of religiousness. 11) The ultimate drug. 12) A unifying group dynamic arising out of a set of fixed, affixed, fixated, and asphyxiating beliefs relating to the worship of an ideal which offers fixed answers about one's place in existence. Religion, a very potent primitive drug, is consolation, conformation, and reformation. Religion is the metaphysics of fear and hope clouded with the smokescreen of dogma. Religion is a behavior and mind control industry--fear management, not unlike the fictitious Corporate State. Why inquire men of God when they know not themselves? Religion is the ultimate drug--once you reach the high you never come back nor can you be reached. It is a point of no return. Religion is also a straight-jacket put on consciousness by crooked priest of the clergy. The whole of religion is founded upon a dirty joke that has PIMPED man's psyche for centuries.

Religion is for the young in consciousness who are not ready (spiritually mature) enough to edit their own truths nor ready to trust their own authenticity for unfoldment as Divinity. Religion is a battlefield disguised as a life boat on the seas of fear and uncertainty fully-equipped with reality-defying absolute truth preservers (that all-to-often destroys lives instead of saving them). FUNKTIONARY, Dr. Blynd, Ph.F, Professor Emeritus, University of Chocolate City, Unabridged Release Version 2.23

RELIGION IS A MENTAL ILLNESS
    http://www.truthbeknown.com/mental.htm

http://www.meta-religion.com/Psychiatry/Demonic_possesion/dp_and_mental_illness.htm

http://www.globusz.com/Articles/00000002.asp

http://www.nami.org/Content/Navigat...About_Mental_Illness/About_Mental_Illness.htm

http://www.mentalhealtheducation.net/
    Religion: The Etiology of Mental Illness

This book explains how the indoctrination of children with religious concepts causes mental illness.
    This book shows that religion is not a primitive effort at philosophy. Religion is a highly sophisticated system of psychological seduction and behavior control.
    This book explains brain chemistry and how religious belief can cause brain damage.
    Religion - a Problem and Opportunity for Mental Illness

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/003340.html

more

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=religion+is+a+mental+illness&form=QBRE

8. Afru Shukuwr

Afru Shukuwr Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    You went into extreme detail about some of what I was saying. That was good. Break it down sis.

9. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Fear is the fuel of religions, especially Chrisitianity. I don't think it matters to most followers rather the whites they worship enslaved their ancestors or not. In fact most have never even made the connection. I met very few Christians who have actually read the entire bible, many haven't even read one of the books of the bible. I read the whole thing while I was a college student.

Christianity is shoved down the throats of children at the earliest opportunity. This way they have nothing else to compare it too, and are threatened with hell if they deviate from the admonitions. Being told repeatedly throughout childhood that this is the only truth, accept it, and don't ask any questions, is the way absolute control is taken.

I stopped being a chrisitan at age twenty, when I found out that I didn't have to be. I found out that there were other options. I stirred into space one night and began to wonder what this universe was all about. Although I haven't gotten an answer that completely satisfied my curiosity yet, I see nothing of value in the Christian religion that offers anything that come's close to answering my inquiry.

There's a enormous universe out there, I wonder how many Jesus Christ's there are floating around out there?

10. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Beloved Mrron writes: Fear is the fuel of religions, especially Chrisitianity. I don't think it matters to most followers rather the whites they worship enslaved their ancestors or not. In fact most have never even made the connection. I met very few Christians who have actually read the entire bible, many haven't even read one of the books of the bible. I read the whole thing while I was a college student.

Christianity is shoved down the throats of children at the earliest opportunity. This way they have nothing else to compare it too, and are threatened with hell if they deviate from the admonitions. Being told repeatedly throughout childhood that this is the only truth, accept it, and don't ask any questions, is the way absolute control is taken.

I stopped being a chrisitan at age twenty, when I found out that I didn't have to be. I found out that there were other options. I stirred into space one night and began to wonder what this universe was all about. Although I haven't gotten an answer that completely satisfied my curiosity yet, I see nothing of value in the Christian religion that offers anything that come's close to answering my inquiry.

There's a enormous universe out there, I wonder how many Jesus Christ's there are floating around out there?

--------------------------------------------------------

Beloved Mighty warrior :star: I bow and salute your Divine mind.

Continue to go into the Abyss of Infinity in you mind, where it is real.

HILY/A:star: :star: :star: