Black People Politics : Why Did You Hope And Pray Obama Would Redeem Us?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by chuck, Sep 21, 2012.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    It is obvious to me that when you make promises to everybody, you're bound to please nobody...

Obama's new appeal for a new sense of shared citizenship is revealing of him having got 'off message' at best...

Let him quit coming up with knee jerk reactions to what the other party's 'critics' direct his way too...

FYI...

2. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Anyone who truly thought Obama would "redeem us" lived in a fantasy world.

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    What about self-redemption?

Doesn't the concept of redemption assume being in debt, guilt,or sin?

Is this redemption in a commercial sense?

4. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    He said it himself several time now,but in different ways that what he proposed was not as easy as he thought. But you also have to look at the people he has to work with. When one side says no to everything you try and do,things are not going to get done. The other side has made it clear that they are not going to give him any success. They demonstrated this ...again yesterday when they voted against the veteran's jobs bill he put fourth.

If we were faced with this situation on our job we would be quick to acknowledge why we can't get done what we have to get done. But for some reason,we don't see that when it comes to Obama.

Peace!

5. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167

Wasn't it like 4 Republicans who got the bill started and when the vote was to go through and they realized that most of the Democrats were on board with the bill that most of the Republicans, even the 4 that got it started, voted against it due to the timing because it was election season and it could prove as a boon to the Democratic side?

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    To respond to the question posed in the topic of this thread, to be honest, it felt good to be able to FINALLY say that there was a Black president in my lifetime. Beyond that, not much to celebrate. I went into the voting booth with eyes wide open.

Not meaning to take anything away from President Obama and his competency as a politician, I just knew enough to know not to place much "hope" in him thinking that he was going to be able to change much, especially for Black people. The wheels churning the political machine that is anti-Black have been in motion in this country for way too long for me to ignore that fact and be suddenly stupid and starry-eyed. Even someone with a basic understanding of the political process in this country, like myself, didn't wake up the next day after the election and expect the world to have changed. The sun has risen and set many times over since then and all I can say is, new day, same ole BS.

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Good post!

And, yeah, we have to contrast Obama being a mainstream politician, not Malcolm Junior running the newly liberated United States...

Too many of us do tend to have an idealized spin on somebody who is trying to bring about change in the present socio/economic/political system...

FYI...

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Another on point/on time post...

My point was and is why have so many been overly idealistic, not that realistic, whereas some things we do have to do for ourselves...

I. e., it seems and sounds, for some here/there/everywhere, their hopes were raised and then dashed, back when their involvement can and went via one recent march (MMM)...

Instead, it should've been a big step towards a new movement, which was needed then and is needed now...

FYI...

9. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,531
    Even though Obama renewed hope that change could and can come via the present political system, even he tends to be into denial about how racist some of its mainstays are too...

I. e., lazy and shiftless, ad naseum, is what our people white exploiters dared to claim about us, long before they became Romney's code words for why whites shouldn't vote for Obama, and should vote for him...

He's just peddling the same old b. s., via updated rhetoric, etc.

FYI...

10. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148

Why would anyone think that was/is his job? Isnt this a "messianic complex"?