Black Spirituality Religion : Why did you change religions?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by karmashines, Jul 14, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    This question is especially for spiritualists who may have been Christian but are now part of a spiritualist-based system. What motivated you to change your belief system? And how were you able to release yourself from your original religious doctrine?

2. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    PEACE KARMA:

This is a very good question, and I'm sure people are looking for me to initiate a response......

Though my mother (RIP), being from the Caribbean, was essentially Christian, she never forced the dogma of Christianity upon me, even though she made sure I knew that there was a GOD.

Her being a bit of a Garveyite, I had always known Blackness, and thus the white Jesus image never really crept into my psyche, like it did for most of the African American community.

I had been around Rastas, Muslims, and others in my Bronx neighborhood from a young age. I knew about Malcolm X long before Public Enemy and KRS-ONE made them popular to the youth.

I was a latch-key kid, and during the summers, while my mother worked daily as a nurse, I stayed home. So, she bought me a volume of encyclopedias one summer, and I had literally read the entire volume in one summer. I had read the entire Bible and a dictionary from cover to cover the following summer.

Thus, began the vaunted "SAMURAI intellect".

When I started to explore spirituality on an official basis, I started with the church though, simply because that serves as the "default" in this society, not to mention that I at least wanted to honor my mother's beliefs.

Thus, I started exploring what the Church had to offer. AME, Catholic, Baptist, etc, etc, etc.....

My main focus for seeking spirituality, was to find a REASON to believe, one way or another. It wasn't enough for me to just believe simply because I'm told to. I didn't have that sort of upbringing, so didn't have that sort of mentality engrained in me.

I tried these denominations for about a year, from age 10 to 11, going to Sunday Schools feverishly, asking questions, and remembering how the more questions I asked, the more ostracized I felt.......Not to mention, when I tried to give into the dogma and beliefs that my heart, mind and soul was telling (SCREAMING) me that was @ss backwardds, the more @ss backwards I felt.

In the meantime, not an answer to any question I asked way in sight, an curiosity and faith-seeking, became frustration and confusion. The more I prayed about it, the worst the confusion got.

Then I started getting the responses from Pastors and Reverends that I mentioned in other threads here, and I felt that enough was enough.

Then, at age 11, one day while in Red Hook, Brookyln NY, I met my first enlightener. We stood on the corner, and he answered more questions of mine in a few hours, than any person who professed Christianity could (not) do in the couple of years that I had been searching.

He eventually took me to different Mosques, taught me about how history, science, race, culture and spirituality are all interconnected. He helped to set me on the path of self discovery in this world, as well, as how to establish a relationship with the divine. He taught me how to find the meanings BEHIND the meanings of things. He showed me the Bible from a different perspective; one where all the historical and cultural aspects are brought into a perspective that began to make sense.

I was prepared to leave all notions of Christianity behind at that point, but I thought to give it one last chance.....I went back to some of the churches, with intent to give them a chance to reconcile what I'd newly learned, with what they teach...

One Pastor called my mother, telling her to not let me come back. He also suggested that I needed "counseling", and questioned her as a mother, since she was allowing me to hang out with "questionable characters".

My mother was of course insulted, because everyone knew that she was a good mother, and rather to have her reputation tarnished, she thought it best to keep me in for a while.

But after awhile, even she got tired of the questions that not even she could answer, so I was back out there, at the libraries, at the Mosques, and on the corner with my Enlightener, or at the park with him, or at his house. I had always seen him as being rich, even though he had less furniture than we had, but because his library of books was huge. One room had--I know it had to be a good 1000 books all over the place.

Needless to say, at that point, I denounced Christianity, and never looked back--you couldn't sell it to me with the next man's money.

That year, at age 11, I took Shahadah, and honestly felt like a different person.

My mother was a bit concerned that I would choose the Muslim way, but overall she was happy because I was happy (I was always a grim and serious child), and she knew that I was not into getting into trouble like the other kids were, so she was fine with it all.

The rest of the story, you can read in the AFRICAN RELIGIONS thread.

PEACE

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Thank you for your story, Sam. It's ashame the pastor thought you needed counseling because you wanted to explore a different spiritual path!

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I don't consider myself spiritual....

I have a spirit but I don't dwell on it much, I'm more of the meat-n-potatoes material type myself.

Actually I left the church before I left Christianity.

I left the church after reading the bible cover to cover and recognizing that what the book taught wasn't lining up with what the preachers preached; and none of it lined up with what the people were doing.

Then after reading the Gosple of Barnabas and a few other books, I left Christianity all together.

After years of bouncing from one belief system to another, I read the Koran....became a Muslim....and the rest is history.

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, it was the inconsistancies in the bible itself that sent me seeking. I could not reconcile the God who has watched over me since I don't know when with the god who commanded "his people" to do such awful things. Everytime I tried to read the bible from cover to cover I'd get to the parts where God did something that did not line up with the idea that he is just and that he takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked and I'd just be so repulsed I'd have to put the book down. I couldn't read it. I prayed and told God honestly just what I was feeling. I asked him to give me understanding. The answers the church offered did not line up with the idea that God is not the author of confusion and that he never changes.

Ya'll remember how I got into it with Brother info when he pointed out all the contradictions in the bible. I defended the book valiantly but it was you Karma who made the checkmate move by bringing up all those terrible things God supposedly did to people. I had nothing to say. I had to face what I had been running from for so long.

I knew that God loved me and within the confidence of this love I opened my mind to what Info and Sam were showing me about the Kemetian roots of Judeo/Christian doctrine. Of course having a crush on Sam gave me the impetus to do what I had to do and the courage to ask the questions I needed to ask. Like what is this truth that can't stand up to scrutiny? Why do we who are supposed to be the light of the world value ignorance and fear knowledge? Does christianity have anything to stand on besides fear? I found that it does not.

If as Jesus said the truth sets us free then anything which does not set me free is not the truth.