Black People : Why Columbus Day isn’t really a national holiday

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Why Columbus Day isn’t really a national holiday

This Monday, some folks will have a day off to commemorate Columbus Day and some won’t. So what is the legal basis for the holiday and is it truly a national holiday?

[​IMG]
    CristobalColon

Officially, Columbus Day is recognized as one of 10 official federal holidays, by statute. But the United States, unlike other countries, doesn’t have “national holidays” that must be observed by all people due to a mandate from Congress, the President, or a national ruling body or power ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-columbus-day-isn-t-really-national-holiday-101607127--politics.html

• Agree Agree x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

Preach Black Woman, preach ... :choir:

I have several more articles to post on this that tells the story, for sure. Also, notice the contradiction between sources:

Columbus Day is a national holiday in many countries of the Americas and elsewhere; it officially celebrates the anniversary of Christopher Columbus' arrival in the Americas on October 12, 1492. The landing is celebrated as Columbus Day in the United States, and as Día de la Hispanidad (Day of the Hispanic World) and Fiesta Nacional (National Holiday) in Spain. This day is also the Roman Catholic religious festival of la Virgen del Pilar.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

Christopher Columbus: The myth that keeps on giving
    Why has a symbol of mass slaughter been unrepentantly idolised for more than half a millennium?

On October 12, 1492, a geographically misguided voyager by the name of Christopher Columbus happened upon the so-called New World.

Five centuries later, famed Uruguayan writer Eduardo Galeano would refer to the day as the one on which "America discovered capitalism" as Columbus, "financed by the kings of Spain and the bankers of Genoa, brought this novelty to the Caribbean islands" ...

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...mbus-myth-giving-161005051835083.html?ref=yfp

[​IMG]

Christopher Columbus, painting by Peter Johann Nepomuk Geiger (1805-1880) [Getty]

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

Is Christopher Columbus truly a villain? This is what the public really thinks

... In 1998, two sociologists, Amy Corning and Howard Schumann, asked a representative sample of Americans to explain to a hypothetical 14-year-old niece or nephew “what Christopher Columbus had done.” The vast majority of respondents gave the traditional answer about Columbus discovering America. Only 6 percent said that Columbus didn’t in fact discover America or criticized his treatment of native populations ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...his-is-what-the-public-really-thinks/?ref=yfp

[​IMG]
    Christopher Columbus. (The Washington Post library)

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

The War against Columbus Day

A growing number of communities are now ditching the traditional Columbus Day holiday in favor of Indigenous People’s Day, which, supporters say, is meant to promote an accurate telling of the United States’ history and commemorate the resilience of its original inhabitants against European settlers ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/10/10/the-war-against-columbus-day/?ref=yfp&utm_term=.1931096e2b88

[​IMG]
    Indigenous people attend the First National Conference of Indigenous Policy in Brasilia on Dec. 15, 2015. (Ueslei Marcelino/Reuters)

• Hospitable Hospitable x 1
    • List
  6. Lynott

Lynott Member MEMBER

Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +41
    Since I read this album review by altrockchick of Axis bold as Love, I can't hear the name Columbus without chuckling:

Is there another day named after somebody who got things this terribly wrong? I wouldn't be opposed to a Columbus day, it just should be a day we make fun of him and other people from history and historians who got it wrong and celebrate that we know better now.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • False False x 1
    • List
  7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

Based on the above, here's something you might like:

Time to rename our national holidays after the big businesses who are calling the shots

It has become abundantly clear that the United States has evolved from somewhat of a democracy to much more of a corporatocracy. It’s time to rename the national holidays to reflect this reality.

I was inspired to write this post when re-considering the attached photo of corporate flags, which I took at the downtown St. Louis Fourth of July celebration this year. Based on the ubiquitous corporate sponsors of that holiday (combined with the salient lack of people who cared about the original reason for this holiday), I’d recommend that we rename Fourth of July as Big Business Day.

It’s clear now that (as Representative Dick Durbin once said), the banks own the place (referring to Congress), that we set aside a day to remember that development. But why stop there? ...

http://dangerousintersection.org/2011/09/04/time-to-rename-national-holidays-after-the-big-businesses-who-are-calling-the-shots/

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

To this, I must say, Jimi Hendrix is my favorite musician of all time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

Thank you, thank you and thank you again, Arianne. Your words about Jimi speak much truth to power, well said mon ami. I will surely enjoy these vids, and I agree with and like your favorites as well.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,075

I see, makes sense, I can wait until you're ready, believe me.

Yeah, I knew about his humble beginnings, good stuff.

Jimi Hendrix and the Chitlin' Circuit
    [​IMG]