Black People : Why Can't I Do and Say What I Want - When I Want - Where I Want - How I Want - at Destee.com

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by KMeister, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242

I have read more than one supposition over the years that Baraka's words castigating homosexuals was due to his own closeted homosexuality. It's a plausible notion.

I'm no expert on poetry but I thought his "Somebody Blew Up America" poem was hyperbolic nonsense. However, when you fire someone (which is what it effectively did when the New Jersey legislature abolished the poet laureate position) you have to pay off his contract. The should have just paid him his money.

I respect that he was a writer who continued to evolve his entire life.

A man accused of being anti-Semitic who dies at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. Now that's --pardon the pun--poetic justice.

KM

• Disrespectful Disrespectful x 1
    • List
  2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    STFU! please!

3. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    KMeister wrote:
    I have read more than one supposition over the years that Baraka's words castigating homosexuals was due to his own closeted homosexuality. It's a plausible notion.

I'm no expert on poetry but I thought his "Somebody Blew Up America" poem was hyperbolic nonsense. However, when you fire someone (which is what it effectively did when the New Jersey legislature abolished the poet laureate position) you have to pay off his contract. The should have just paid him his money.

I respect that he was a writer who continued to evolve his entire life.

A man accused of being anti-Semitic who dies at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. Now that's --pardon the pun--poetic justice.

LOL! Love the intelligent discourse among our people.

I confess I wasn't a fan of the deceased gentleman's style of poetry. Putting down others and conspiracy rants are no way to "uplift the race" (an old style expression). Also, the suspicion that Baraka might have been a closeted homosexual is certainly worth considering, given his virulently anti-gay words.

Unfortunately for some people who reach a level of fame, a few ill-chosen words or deeds based on carelessness, hubris or whatever can besmirch a reputation forever. Richard Nixon will be forever known for Watergate, Bill Clinton for Monica Lewinsky, Michael Jackson for allegedly touching little boys...The list is almost endless. The "Somebody Blew Up America" fiasco will forever define Baraka, along with his other accomplishments.

KM

• List
  4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    well since you do not have the class to shut up about a black person who has transited i will put you on 'ignore'

5. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242

It's not uncommon at all for the death of a public figure to spark discussion about his or her legacy. People are free to join in that discussion--or not.

KM

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686

You're right, it's not uncommon to point out what we believe are the faults or failures of the deceased, even before their blood has turned cold ... that is the world in which we live ... disrespectful ... never putting anything regarding one's own faults or failures on the table ... nope ... there will be no talk of those things ... just the dead, the deceased, the one that can no longer speak for or defend themselves.

We're a different kind of place ... striving to be respectful, especially to those who have passed on.

This isn't to suggest you can't attempt to diminish the character and integrity of those who can't defend themselves, without ever presenting anything of substance or verifiable regarding your own self ... no ... you get to do that ... all we ask is for a little bit of respect.

Let some time pass, give his Family, friends, and loved ones a few minutes to mourn the loss in peace.

Or go to sites that welcome ugly talk about black people, living and dead, no matter the hour or day.

Thanks.

:heart:

Destee

7. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771

Thank You sister, spoken like the Queen that you are.

AXE!

8. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    Part of these people being public figures is that almost all aspects of their lives are open for discussion. And those who during their lifetime were hateful and nasty about others can expect a bit of honest criticism for it upon their deaths.

Discussing the merits of a person's work or the motivation behind it isn't disrespectful. Also, I got the impression we also strive to be a place where open, sometimes frank, but still respectful discussions are welcome. Oh yeah, and that "STFU" comment directed at me was very respectful.

I haven't read anything that attempts to diminish anything. Those who choose to discuss the life of public figures aren't themselves public figures. It isn't about them.

This isn't that kind of site--nor I have read anything resembling "ugly talk."

KM

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686

You're saying all of the above ... as if your opinion matters ... as if it will make some difference.

It makes no difference at all. If you have a problem with my decision, you have a few options.

Continuing to talk to me about it ... or continuing to disrupt this thread ... aren't on the list.

:heart:

Destee

10. KMeister

KMeister Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +242
    I'm interested in neither--and I in no way was I disrupting this thread. I gave my opinion about a public figure. We do that on this website. Just the same, I stated my opinion and can't think of anything else to add on this subject. I'll move on.

(One day we're going to learn how to tolerate different viewpoints. Until we do we will continue to be seen as people who aren't ready for prime time...)

KM

• List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.