Black People : Why? can anyone tell m e?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UnknownPoet, Jun 21, 2009.

1. UnknownPoet

UnknownPoet Member MEMBER

hmmm.. well.. i work.. but i mosstly attend school
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why is it that when any black man or black woman speak properly... using proper grammer and enounciation they are asked if they are white? or told they aren't really black... Just because i've gotten a little bit of an education doesn't mean my thoughts and my mentality are any less BLACK... after all.. if i'm not black... then someone give me the definition of BLACK....

2. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

:geek:

:em0200:

Do not allow the ignorant masses to define blackness. Today you have guys like Snoop and middle class rappers trying to define our culture.
    Blackness was defined by people like:
    Fredrick Douglas

Marcus Garvey

Rosa Parks

Medgar Evers

Martin Luther King

Malcolm X

Just to name a few. They all told us to stay away from drugs and to become educated. Anyone not following those martyr's edicts are just uncle Tom's

:toast:

3. UnknownPoet

Ratings:
    +1
    all of that has succumb to the wave of media....being thrown at us

4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

:geek:

And that is why we must always remember and teach our history. Lest someone attempt to define you

I reposted a related thread, you should look at it

:toast:

5. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Well, it has been my experience that it isn't the talking proper that has people calling brothas and sistahs white. It is voice inflection, tone, PATTERN, and what people say that garners that insult. For instance, in BEVERLY HILLS COP in the banana in the tail pipe scene Eddie Murphy mocks the black cop because he didn't have any base in his voice and his tone SOUNDED WHITE. It wasn't because he was talking proper. I have never heard anyone say that about Malcolm, Martin, Jesse, or even James Earl Jones who is as PROPER AS THEY COME. But those brothas STILL SOUND LIKE BROTHAS when they talk, even if they DO use correct english. Overstand?

6. UnknownPoet

Ratings:
    +1
    But how does that come into play when you are referring to typing or blog speech... how can you seperate the line between sounding or speaking white and being professional... if you saw the way i dressed and heard the way i speak there would be no doubt.... so we could dismiss the ignorant ppl there... but speaking online in a forum is much different... because if i look at what you posted.. i could argue that you are white as well..... lmao.. its all a matter of perspective.... .whose to say what cliches are black and what are white?

7. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    Oh, I didn't realize that you were referring to TYPING AND/OR POSTING...lol. I have no idea how one can tell if someone is white or black by what they type unless it is in reference to WHAT they say. For example, most of the times when someone were to say "You people" or "Stop bringing up the race card". I agree with you, however, that white people are NOT the only ones who can speak, write, or post correct english.

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    yeah...writing white is a new one on me....lol

one love
    khasm

9. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    You can tell a Brother from a whitey any time of day.

Pictures JamesFromPhilly talking that "proper" white lingo, you think you couldn't hear the cool, the SUAVE just latching on to every word?

Black man be Peace - define yourself.

One.

- Ikoro

10. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    this question has been a thorn in our sides as long as we've been here it seems,our ancestors fought,marched and died so that future generations could do better but we seem to have this curse upon us to ignore their teachings and go backwards to the time when we didn't know any other ways of speaking except-dis-dat-ain't-yowsa-we's-ya'lls,and let me say something right here and now to ANYONE here young or old who thinks that not being able to put two syllables together is cool...the joke's on you because this is another way that whites control us because if we can't speak correctly then how can we hold a job....THINK ABOUT IT.