Black Entertainment : Why aren't movies made about the current black plight?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Enki, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Brutha Khasm brought up a good point in another thread. I started this one because I didn't want that point to get lost in the other thread.

But why is there no movies made about current issues that face our race like? Is it (like he said) we don't want to see them, or is it a money issue, meaning they would do badly at the box office. Look at what is going on in Chicago, and around the nation. If we aren't killing ourselves, Yt is killing us, and both of these situation have a cause behind them.

I think a good place to start is how drugs got introduced into many of our communities in the first place.

What do you think?

Peace!

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    As far as how drugs got introduced don't forget.American Gangster.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0765429/

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i would say for the most part black people have accepted their condition in this country...not all but most...if this assumption is correct then the next logical deduction is that we do not want to see movies that try to break us from this condition...not all but most...
    the black male life is worthless in this country...this will not change until we change it...but for that to happen we have to become upset with our condition...

if u have a black talk radio station on the am dial in your city i would start there...just to stay abreast of the stories that aren't carried on the local "news" program...
    here is one in chicago http://www.wvon.com/

maybe hearing what going on from an intelligent black perspective will start more black people getting upset with "our condition"...because all the paths that lead to our salvation lead back to us....

one love
    khasm

4. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
    One has to determine what Black plight, one is reffering to!
    And a plight germain to this generation, ipad age, that did not occur in the 80s 70s and 60s
    1097297_577248525668215_747606988_o(1).jpg

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    what is the purpose of media?

is it to make a buck? is it to teach? is it to maintain the status quo?

anything that you like, that you accept uncritically, can be turned and used as a weapon against you.

see : hip hop nee rap…….

6. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    That was the focus of my plea for us to create and collectively purchase our won Black media

As you know Black talk radio, has been Gestapo'ed for the past 13 years;
    Here in NYC we lost the daily GBE; with Imhotep Gary Byrd, daily Drive Time dialogue in the mornings, with Rev Del Schields, and Nightly Night Talk with Bob Law

now Openline with Bob Slade had its hours cut, from 4 to one, just aorund the time Dave Ballantine, and Micahel Baisley was removed just as he was getting political, just around the time Gil Noble passed and Like It Is was not restored!

7. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I think everyone over 35 would like to be able to go into a movie theater take their significant other, or family and not have to sit and watch;
    1 Sequals
    2 Prequals
    3 Comic books
    4 60s trash like men in rubber dinosaur suits, fighting TransformerRbbocpos
    or
    5 stupid Zombie fliks
    6 movies made from TV shows in the 60s
    or
    7 cartoons
    8 or drunk, and reefer high hipsters doing stupid crap

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Every year I try to attend at least one screening during the Pan African Film Festival. I need to attend more but get more out of the workshops and panel discussions.

The fact is most films made by Black film makers and screenwriters are not marketable. Because most of us do not support independent Black cinema. A lot of our content are docs. Short film. SAG modified agreements. Not A-list product. And as I stated before in another thread we are on the short end of distribution.

And let's face it. Most Black movie watchers are into comedy, not historical drama.

It's different with TV.

My concern with The Butler is that it's part of a trend that will most likely be short lived.

This movie is riding on the popularity of Scandal, the biopic starring Kerry Washington. It's based on the story of a sister who served as a White House staffer. But with extra spin.

Next up.

http://www.filmlinc.com/daily/entry...film-festival-clarence-thomas-freida-lee-mock

9. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Whoooooooooaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:11600:

10. Alarm Clock

Ratings:
    +1,030

IMHO, this is something we in the grassroots community need to know more about and educated on how it works

That was the main thrust for my plea for more Black owned HDTV stations across the 50 states, national or local or a combination of both.
    The fantasy and Sword and Sorcery genre; seems to be big in movies and TV, and with our rich historical references from Kemet to the Moors, the number of great stories already in existence or to be written is limitless!