Black People Politics : Why Aren't More Black Voters Feeling the Bern?

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Liberty, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,251
    Election 2016

Critics say the Sanders campaign needs to do a lot more to connect with black voters

[​IMG]

Senator Bernie Sanders continues to pack arenas and often draws standing-room-only crowds as he vies for the Democratic nomination. Though Sanders trails former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in most national polls, he is closing the gap. One poll shows Sanders leading Clinton in Iowa.

Part of the magnetism drawing supporters to the senator is his populist message that includes eliminating economic inequality, challenging oligarchs on Wall Street and advocating for blue-collar workers. Without question, the insurgent nature of his candidacy is igniting excitement in the Democratic base and among many progressive voters who believe a true liberal can win the nomination, and quite possibly, the White House.

There remains one inconvenient dilemma for the Sanders camp: Most black voters have yet to “feel the Bern.”

According to the latest findings from Public Policy Polling, 65 percent of black voters support Clinton while only 14 percent back Sanders. For a man who is heralded as a civil rights veteran by his legion of supporters, that number is not impressive.

Read more
    http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/why-arent-more-black-voters-feeling-bern

2. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    Maybe it's because not enough black people have heard of Bernie Sanders? I'm not sure why this would be. Bernie has a plan for prison reform. He's met with Black Lives Matters protestors and let them speak when they wished to take the microphone at one of his events. I've captioned old videos of him talking about his college days where he would protest against police violence against black people. He was even harassed by a cop for doing so. He helped organize sit ins at a university owned housing that was segregated, to desegregate it. He walked on the national mall for MLK's I have a Dream Speech. He consistently in speeches speaks of unemployment among black youth and how it's an unacceptable problem. More recently has spoken the names of slain black individuals at the hands of police violence within his speeches...

Read more about his Racial Justice platform on his website:
    https://berniesanders.com/issues/racial-justice/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

All good points ... And for years now, the main horse Bernie rides is income inequality.

4. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,251
    Thank you for posting.

5. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    You're welcome. It was my initial take on things being a Bernie supporter since this past summer.

The article you posted is very extensive and well written, and gave me pause for thought. I hope others on the forum read it.

It correctly pointed out that Sanders at first was very very awkward with the Black community in the beginning of his presidential campaign. He didn't seem to be connecting with them or hearing them, but after the BLM protestors took the mic from him and after a few meetings with leaders from the BLM, his platform seemed to evolve. At least that's what I remember from following his campaign earlier in the year. He is not perfect. It's true.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    been sending him small checks since he was in the house....BTW, i'm black

7. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,251
    Well, I really appreciate your post. Because, I am certain I don't want to vote for Clinton. And, I am trying to learn more about Sanders, so I can feel confident voting for him.

I read a story a few months ago. If I remember correctly, it was Sandra Bland's Mother... Anyway the story went on to say how Bernie Sanders had met with her and talked with her privately. He never made a photo-op out of the meeting, and never even once publicly referenced their meeting. How humble, I thought.

Within days of reading the article, Hillary did the exact opposite. She arranged a meeting with a grieving family, brought camera crews etc., trying to hype her concern for the AA community.

I wondered if humility could be a strength, as well as a weakness for Sanders, amongst a group of big egos and bravado.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    hillery.jpg

• Enjoyed Enjoyed x 3
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  9. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,251
    ROTFLMAO

James, that is hilarious!!!

You know olé Hillary got clowned on the second day of Kwanzaa when she jumped up on Black Twitter with a new Afrocentric avatar (shaped to look like a Kinara). They clowned her so hard her staff had to take it down right away.

10. LookingForward

LookingForward Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +148
    hahaha! Again have Mr. James found a hilarious meme, thanks for the laughter.:D