Black People : Why Are We Into Denial About Our Relations Regression and Retreat?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, Jul 4, 2013.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    What is anybody actually suggesting we can and should do about the issues/problems/etc. of the here and now?

Maybe neither Cosby or Obama had or have 'all of the answers'...

FYI...

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Bro. chuck,

You ask this important question all the time but I don't recall reading you describe what you think we can and should do about the issues/problems of the here and now. Do you have any?

And I tend to be slow in comprehension sometimes, so if you could, please break it down in layman terms.

As for me, I'm not organized as Bro. Omowale Jabali recommends. I think it's a great idea though.

I'm stumped on the political tip . . . do I vote, do I not vote and if I vote, who do I vote for and would that be like doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results . . . thoughts that cross my mind . . . 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other kind of thing . . .

Economically. . . I believe this is where our true power lies. So much collective wealth that we can control simply by making decisions on how we spend and invest our money . . . That's where I think we can make a HUGE difference for us globally.

Like Bro. Shikamaru tells us . . . plan for the future, put money aside, invest it and I don't disagree but if we rely on each of us individually to do that and stay committed to it, well, that doesn't seem to be working on a massive scale. We're still consumers of products that make others rich and we have little to show for it.

Well, those are just some of my thoughts. What do you think?

3. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    CTJ:

I just answered your question(s)...

FYI

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I agree on all points. A lot of us talk about black nationalist principles but fail to practice the most basic: cooperative economics. And I'm not talking about creating collectives such as food co-opts even though those can serve as viable market places on the local levels. I'm talking about larger scale investment groups. It's something I'm trying to help get started in Leimert Park, but things don't always move with the urgency in which they need to.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Perhaps. However, there is a deeper issue. Nigerians in America have a land and resource base in Nigeria. Ghanaians in America have a land and resource base in Ghana. South Africans have a land and resource base in South Africa. Ethiopians in America have a land and resource base in Erhiopia. African Americans have a land and resource base...?

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Like I said, I'm working on it with a group of local developers. One of my brothers from South Africa was here for a month and returned home last weekend, and one of my sisters from here is in Ghana and I will sit down with her when she returns and time permits. We have a long standing economic base of African/AA businesses in a core Black Arts community and are strategizing ways to expand that base and ensure sustainability. And to create a "template" for African business development by promoting creative industries.

The key and operative word here is sustainability. What makes our situation unique is that we are not dealing with regentrification with whites moving in displacing black business, as is the situation in Harlem. We are dealing with black people buying properties in the area and driving up real estate prices which is forcing out some Black merchants who can no longer afford their leases. In essence, the community is becoming more Upscale and maybe that is a positive sign rather than a negative one. It's creating stronger "anchors" in which to build around.

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I posted this link several times before but this is one of the groups I am talking about.

http://www.africandiasporacreativeindustries.org/

I wanted to share an article on hip hop economics but the link expired or the site no longer exists. Some are critical of hip hop but one of my brothers created and give space to a growing movement based here named Project Blowed. A very creative, African centered collective. Brother rapchild who invited me into PAWA is also a hip hop artist based in Ghana. I been networking with a lot of similar artists from all over the Diaspora, and from early work at UCLA, this is how the Jazz and Reggae Festival began. As South African Solidarity Day.

Beginning next year I plan on pulling this network or extended alumni family together in planning additional cultural festivals based on a traditional African calendar. Hopefully that will help direct some of those trillions to aid in Global Afrikan Economic Development (far from "regionalism" as some accuse).

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,530
    Not only has none of you have answered my question...

All of you have the option of starting your own threads etc.

You can't or won't answer it, because you are a bad reflection of my concerns and worries, i. e., some of you condone their ignorance and backwardness, so it is your own contradictory claims/comments/etc. which leads others to not heed your calls...

What you can't or won't face up to: Also it is your credibility etc, which is being disputed or challenged, too...l

9. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    lol

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    chuck, take a close look at the title of this thread.

Then look at your OP.

How do the two relate to each other?

Speaking for myself, I offered my opinion in direct response to your OP and now you claim no one answered your question? If you didn't like my answers (which it appears you didn't), at least I gave you what I thought were viable ways to address our issues TODAY.

How is that being a bad reflection of your concerns or worries?

If you recall I asked you what your opinion was in response to your own OP and you replied that you don't have all the answers which is why you asked the question (paraphrasing).

So, instead of shooting down the opinions of others without giving us the benefit of your perspective on the topic, why don't we use the information that is offered to build a productive discussion and see where it leads us?

Just a thought . . .