Black Money Business Jobs : Why Are There So Few Black-Owned Grocery Stores?

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
Why Are There So Few Black-Owned Grocery Stores?
Local food leaders are seeking solutions to fixing food in their communities

BY TOM PERKINS | Business, Food Deserts, Food Justice, Nutrition

... His is a rare success in Black and brown communities nationwide, but not for lack of effort. In fact, Boudreaux is one of the nation’s few remaining Black people operating full-service supermarkets.

https://civileats.com/2018/01/08/why-are-there-so-few-black-owned-grocery-stores/

The Grocery Outlet in Compton, California, where Kia Patterson, a Black woman, is an independent operator, is another good example.

Dwayne Boudreaux in Circle Foods. (Photo courtesy of Hope Credit Union)

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Small profit margin and we don't support

Clyde C Coger Jr

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
WOW, just WOW. If only there was even just one simple recognizable situation to this generational problem that we as a people could address in a coherent manner we'd be halfway to where we should already be.

I'll share what we all have heard from time to time when this frank and sobering discussion rears it's head to the embarrassment of those that choose not to be straight up as to why they avoid Black owned or even Black managed grocery stores

Unfortunately these are actual quotes:

1. They don't give us a discount for being Black.
2. They charge more then White stores.
3. They look at us like they White and we come to steal.
4. They treat White customers better then us.
5. They don't sell all the stuff the White stores sell.
6. They only sell Black stuff.
7. Why should I buy from them? They didn't hire me when they opened up two years ago and I just applied last week.
8. They too far from my place.
9. They act like just because they here we gotta buy everything from them like they doing us a favor.
10. I don't want nobody to see me buying from a Black store, it makes me look cheap.

Part 1

https://civileats.com/2018/08/why-are-there-so-few-black-owned-grocery-stores/

http://m.topix.com/forum/detroit/TNOGS5K5L1SBBQFG4

www.motherjones.com/media/2012/02/maggie-anderson-our-black-year/

www.prospect.org/article/destruction-black-wealth

www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article87445047.html

https://magazine.uchicago.edu/1004/features/in-the-black.shtml

www.mashable.com/2015/12/08/supermarkets-foods-deserts/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarket_shortage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples_Grocery

www.blackmeninamerica.com/updated-how-do-black-people-spend-their-money-3/

View attachment 10866

View attachment 10867

View attachment 10868

View attachment 10869

View attachment 10870

Well said Symbol of America, well put indeed ... The only solace I've been able to find, which explains why, as a group of people, we mistreat each other, oft times with malice; lies in the hidden knowledge contained in Deuteronomy 28: 15-68.

IFE

Jan 20, 2015
Leon’s Thriftway may be the oldest black-owned grocery store in the country

That’s why everyone smiles when they see Mr. Leon, who got the place after a Molotov cocktail crashed through the window during the 1968 riots when Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. Nobody wanted it after that.

And nearly half a century later, Leon’s Thriftway stands as a crisp green oasis in Kansas City’s food desert. When times are lean, shoppers might get a little credit or even a free bag of groceries if Stapleton knows you, and he knows pretty much everybody who comes through the door.

Yes he does know everybody.
Mr. Leon done aged. I use to shop only at Leon’s when I lived in KCMO.
IT WAS Called Leon’s United Super.

I asked Mr Leon one day why his prices were so high. He told how he can’t buy in the same bulk as larger stores.
He took the time to answer my question in full and more.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article87445047.html#storylink=cpy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Pan Africanism : Black teenager killed in Norway ( a few years ago ) African American History Culture 0
B Black People : Here's a few things many black people don't know Black People Open Forum 16
HODEE Black Money Business Jobs : ALL OVER AMERICA THOUSANDS OF OPEN AMAZON JOBS ( few thousand ) & LINKS = MAKE THAT MONEY :cool: Black Money Business Jobs 12
R Black Poetry : His knowledge and attitude make him a college dude folks do hears his flow and a few years ago he was in the yard alone lawn mower hit a hard stone a Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : White kids will no longer be a majority in just a few years Black People Open Forum 1
H Black People : A Few Graphs to create discussions. Black People Open Forum 53
candeesweet Black Poetry : The laws underwritten not to save a few.... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Energy Black Spirituality Religion : How To Silence Jews who Questions Our Hebrew Identity in a Few Words Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
R Black Poetry : look I feel sick need deals quick and after a few days disaster plays a part master the phrase of HI Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
HODEE Black People : List if you can those few things first that will bring you some relief immediately Black People Open Forum 11
R Black Poetry : Lots of jazz I see but as for me except for a few girls from true worlds of love I feel as good as I Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Liberty Black People Politics : Bill Clinton told Ted Kennedy that Obama 'would be getting us coffee' a few years ago: 'Game Change' Black People Politics 5
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : TED-Ed: The Atlantic Slave Trade: What Too Few Textbooks Told You African American History Culture 1
D Black People : I have a few questions... Black People Open Forum 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Hillary Clinton Gives A Few Reasons Why She May Not Run Black People Politics 2
Alarm Clock Black People Politics : Best way to honor lives lost on 9/11 is a Fed investigation to answer a few questions!!! Black People Politics 0
KaHotep Black Poetry : Fire coming, in a few degrees Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Destee Black Spirituality Religion : Can Anyone Use the word - Peace - or is it reserved for a select few? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 12
Destee Black People Politics : If America is so Bad - Why do so many want to get in - with few leaving? Black People Politics 149
ru2religious Black Spirituality Religion : What I saw a few nights ago - was it real? Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 5
Istari Black Entertainment : Gang Starr and few others I listen to Black Entertainment 0
gogounited Black People : How Would You Change The World With A Few Million $$$ ? Black People Open Forum 8
Destee Black People : How Can a Few Control Many? Black People Open Forum 14
AACOOLDRE OldSoul : A few words for Teachers OldSoul 2
legit-writer Black Relationships : help me differentiate these few terms Black Relationships 4
A Black Spirituality Religion : Miss Lady - A few questions please. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 9
I Black People : Only fools keep more than a few dollars in a bank account Black People Open Forum 3
G Black Spirituality Religion : A few great quotes from freethinkers and scientists-on Religion Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : A Few Sources on the Akashic Records Omowale Jabali 15
$$RICH$$ Black Women : HMO ~ few Question~ for the sistas only ! Black Women 0
A Black Poetry : A few weeks left before the Big step..... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
Mad Skillz Ghana : Ghana looks for a few good investors Ghana 2
dnommo Black Poetry : just a few more steps Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 11
G Black Spirituality Religion : A few facts about Angels Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 9
M Black Poetry : Rap a few silly clues ill like utility crew work around the clock Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
E Black Jokes Humor : few funny animals ;) Black Jokes Humor 2
E Black Jokes Humor : here are few flash movies for good mood just found ;) Black Jokes Humor 1
L Black People : This happend just a few seconds ago realy It must be the hat.. Black People Open Forum 3
Blackbird Black People : 21 oops a few questions for Destee Black People Open Forum 5
M Black Poetry : RHYME Boys wear dew rags and few brag most of the times Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
T Black Poetry : Slow Down (Dedicated to a important member that i meet a few weeks ago) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
J Black Poetry : A Few Questions II (The Question get answered) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2
J Black Poetry : A Few Questions Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
N Black Entertainment : The Few That Hear Me!! Black Entertainment 3
D Black Poetry : Few blue reasons Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 10
A Black Poetry : A Few Words With My Heart Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 14
H Black Poetry : a few juicy thrusts Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 15
blakverb Black Poetry : just a thought (well a few) Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 4
baller Black Poetry : ...too few Queenz. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 22
M Black Poetry : a few words...{repost} Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 2