Black People : Why are some of us trippin on Gabrielle Douglas's Hair?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Enki, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Shouldn't it have been enough for a young sista to make it to the Olympics in the first place? Shouldn't it have been enough for her to excel and perform the way she did? Obviously not because it seems that some of us has nothing else better to do than disregard her performances and criticize her hairdo. If that ain't being petty then I don't know what is.

This young sista couldn’t even celebrate her gold medal win because she had to deal with stupidity from the one group that she expected to embrace her. It isn't whitey that makes our hair style an issue all the time, most times it's us.

Peace!

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I don't get it either. The sister had enough pressure and I hope it wasn't too much for her in the individual competitions.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

We all know that most of us just parrot what we hear and see in the media. Those aren't really our thought's on the matter, it's what's been planted into our subconcious thru the media's hypnosis thru the tv and radio. You know that most black people have so much fear of the opressor inside of them that even though they might be in their own neighborhood around all black people, they still respond to certain topics as if 'the man' is standing right behind them if asked a controversial question.

"there's nothing worse that can happen to an individual than to walk the earth and be deprived of their own thoughts"

When willow smith 'whipped her hair' it was cute and expected of us to raise our children to entertain the world on a musical level. But, when we entertain on the world stage and show our superiority, then it's a problem for so called white people and we know that if so called white's have a problem with it, most blacks are going to have a problem with it even if they don't really know what the problem is.

As explained in the other thread about this same thing a couple of days ago, it's about the power of that 9 ether, so they have to make you dispise and get a sister to do all she can to cover it up.

If this sister was light skinned would they be making so much noise about it?

Has it ever really been about hair or the complexion of the skin??

"....pit the young against the old, the light against the dark" - what complexion of black people was/are doing the majority of the complaining??

4. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    That Russian team knew they could not deal with her, I don't think she scored below a 15 in any event. And she stuck her floor performance,she knew she had it. Hell,she made me want to try and do a flip...lol

But I couldn't rejoice myself because I was ticked off when I read that people were trippin on her hair.:mad:

I was mad because I look around and see my sistas that age and older throwing their lives away, and here is one of many that made it, and that still is not good enough.

Peace!

5. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928

I agree. I was wondering what did they want her to do,fix her hair like those white girls? Her hair looked just fine to me. IMO,she was being who she is,a black woman.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Listening to Bob Costas was bad enough....I think it was the Grio which started running the negative gossip about their hair so I unsubscribed from their feed.

Any idea who actually started this mess?

7. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Noll bruh...I read it on some web site then Dr.Dyson addressed it on the Ed show. He read tweets that was from actual black folks doggin her out which is why he was peed-off.

Peace!

8. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    If I had to guess, I would say that some white started it. For a long time,the notion was that blacks can't really compete against whites in gymnastics because we are not that flexible. But here this sista comes along and buries them, and their ignorant assumption.

They did the same thing when that Asian beat all of those white girls in swimming. It wasn't 2 seconds after she won that they started with the innuendos that suggested she was on some kind of drugs because no one can swim that fast.

But they didn't question Phelps when he broke records and won all of those gold medals.

Peace!

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Just in case you missed this, here's the opening Thread on the hair issue, Enki:

Gabrielle Douglas - 2012 Olympic Gold Medal Winner's Hair - It's ALWAYS Something

Discussion in 'Black Natural Hair' started by NNQueen, Aug 3, 2012.
    http://destee.com/index.php?threads...edal-winners-hair-its-always-something.72806/

Peace In,

10. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    Yeah...I missed that. Brutha Info was on the right track,it's all about blacks conforming to what whites think is the norm. Like I asked,did they want her to fix her hair like those white girls.

Thanks for directing me to that thread bruh!

Peace!