Jails / Prisons : Why Are Folk So Surprised that the US is Mistreating Prisoners?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, May 5, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Family,

I'm not really understanding all of the shock and alarm at this revelation. Are we not talking about the same country that has a disproportionate number of Black folk busting at the seams of their prisons ... that they are making more prisons ... and billions of dollars ... off of keeping these same "colored" folk locked up?

If folk are so shocked at the mistreatment of other "colored" folk ... they must not be aware of the mistreatment Black folk receive on a daily basis in this country.

If they are truly concerned, perhaps they should focus their eyes over this way ... we've been dealing with mistreatment forever. White men run everything, but Black men are doing all the time ... uhhh ... skuze me ... but does this not warrant some investigation?

I'm just not understanding this. Maybe yall can help me.

:heart:

Destee

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I've been wondering the same thing Destee. I wonder why people think this is the first and only time the US has mistreated prisoners. That shows how brainwashed and blind this country is. So many people think this country would never do something like that to Iraqis or to citizens of this country even. Black folks have been mistreated for the longest in this country, worse than that, on this very soil. So why the big surprise is right. :court:
    This country is filled with idiots, who can't even train themselves to form their own thoughts. They rely on what they see on the television to do it for them.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    For the same reason Americans have a hard time believing that police can commit violence against unarmed innocents. America.....White America views the police & soldiers as heroes, who are incapable of doing any wrong. In their world, they are people who you can trust. In our world both do as much harm as they do good. Different perceptions, different realities.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    It's called "Smoke and Mirrors" in Las Vegas

But in no place is the old game of smoke and mirrors played better than in Washington, DC--specifically at the house located on Pennsylvania Avenue.

This "shock and awe" is a political ploy used to distract people from the truth. Of course this happens and I would suspect that the great majority of Americans, particularly since 9/11, aren't fooled one bit by all the public scrutiny and attention being placed on this sick behavior.

What's new? Human rights violations by America? You think this is a FIRST? Get real! This group of Iraqi's aren't prisoners of 'war' are they so the Geneva Convention doesn't apply in terms of how prisoners should be treated, does it? So, let's take a bunch of Muslims whose religion abhors homosexuality and make them do things and better yet, let's take pictures of them doing it. Let's just humiliate them beyond anything they or other Muslims can stand and parade them in front of the world! American's couldn't possibly do this? Why not, look what they did to African slaves! Same thing, just different people and different time.

Does anyone think that Bush would never go on public television and lie to your face and the faces of the Iraqi people? Oh, puh-leeze!! Who among us was born last night and in the dark?

What I want to know is why now? Why did these pictures suddenly pop up, and get released? What are they trying to cover up that's far worse than these pictures, that they don't really want us to find out about?

Beware of the smoke and mirrors....

Queenie :spinstar:

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    The shock and awe about these pictures is that usually when a nation invades another nation with a purported claim of liberation, that evidence of torture of that nation's citizen's usually does not surface during the purported act of liberation.

The real shock is also:

THE FACT THESE IDIOTS ACTUALLY TOOK PHOTOS OF HUMILIATION AND TORTURE. it is common Military and CIA practice to use these methods to garner information; however, this is never photographed. I think the shocking part to most people that someone would be so stupid to take photos of something like this. It is harder to prove Human Rights Abuses without any evidence and these dummies just politely gave all the critics of the Cheney Administration all the ammo they needed.

I also the shock was felt by the Second in Command George Bush and it made its way down into the American People and Congress. Do you know that Rumsfeld had a secret meeting with the president and members of congress and did not even let them know that 60 minutes was broadcasting this breaking story? This meeting was the same day 60 minutes first broke the story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3689835.stm

As I said in the other post on this subject, the real shocker is that finally the public realizes this is the Cheney Administration and not Bushes.

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    WOW Destee this is HOT! Graphic details Below

What a HOT topic and time. Below is the abuse of american prison and detention centers, and this is only in Ohio. One facility, so imagine the magnitude. You all have made some very good points here.

The Iraqi situation is the practice what we preach and do here, blown up in a location they felt was far away from U.S. Courts and American Justice System. See some Americans view the Arabs as sand n***ers. So anyone in that region is lower than a rat in their eyes. Look around America has captured or participated in taking every land on this planet, and this was the last stomping ground to b conquered. Blacks have foolishy followed this govt. into others land , helped fight to take the land and get America the ruling hand in these lands and made each land we helped invade, hate us more.

MANASIAC there was a whistle blower soldier that reported it to a higher up, and they collected photo's they knew existed and reported it to the media.
    The abuse we see in the Iraq prisons are the same abuses known to be a major part of the American Fabric. The thing here is now the truth is out, with photo's and because it is a abuse to the Arab nation. The abuse will stop. The message must get out that not only this has to stop in Iraq, but prisoner abuse across the world must be stamped out.

I wrote a letter this morning to the Executive Director Donald Miniken of the publication Prison Legal News.

[email protected]

PLN is subscribed to and read by civil and criminal trial and appellate attorneys, judges, public defenders, journalists, academics, paralegals, prison rights activists, students, family members of prisoners, concerned private individuals, state and federal prisoners politicians and government officials.

http://www.prisonlegalnews.org/

I expressed that if he doesn't capitilize on this to help in the cases you can read below read then he has failed those prisoners and and lost an opportunity that won't come along again in centuries.

===========
    Here is another sorce I found today, I'm going to drop them a line also.

http://www.prisonactivist.org/

[email protected].

=========Graphic Accounts ===========

The Sexual Abuse of Female Inmates in Ohio. Stop Prisoner Rape is a national human rights organization that works to end sexual violence against men, women, and youth in all forms of detention.

SPR offers hope in these three ways:
    By pushing for policies that ensure institutional accountability,
    By changing society’ s attitudes towards prisoner rape,
    By promoting access to resources for survivors of sexual assault behind bars.

Here are a few stories of the abuse.

http://www.spr.org/pdf/sexabuseohio.pdf

Prisoner Amy Hale* told SPR she was sexually assaulted at the Northeast Pre-Release Center in 2001 by a corrections officer who entered her cell, hit her in the face, and raped her. Retaliation for reporting rape is so commonplace that, after she reported the attack, she was transferred for her protection to ORW. However, the staff at ORW were informed of what had happened. Hale reported serious harassment at ORW, beginning with four officers making comments about her, including one who said, "Oh, that's the b**** who
    told, I know her." Hale says that seven to eight male correctional officers subsequently entered her cell, put a towel around her neck, and screamed at her, saying, among other things, "Listen b****, do you know we can kill you? The only person you can call on is God." The officers held her down on the bed, choked her, and spat in her face. Gagging, and about to pass out,
    Hale believed that she was going to die. In the course of the assault one of Hale's fingers was dislocated. After the incident, Hale told SPR, staff continued to harass her, joking about the fact that she was afraid, and that she had begged for her life while being attacked.

• Former inmate Michelle Baker, who was incarcerated at ORW from 1995 to 2000, told SPR that corrections staff members regularly traded make-up, perfume, and fast food for sex. She said that if family members complained to the Highway Patrol about an inmate's sexual abuse, the inmate would be locked up incommunicado in the hole, stripped of basic privileges, and forbidden to talk to anyone inside or outside of the prison.

• Marjorie Simmons,* who served nine years at ORW, also told SPR that corrections officers in the prison routinely exchanged favors for sex. She also reported that prisoners who complained of sexual abuse were sent to the hole, and described it as noisy and dirty with no heat, a place where prisoners were served cold food and were allowed to shower only once every two or three days. Simmons said staff would also retaliate against inmates by "tearing up your room" or "making restrictions" on an arbitrary basis.
    Simmons described the atmosphere as a climate of fear where some staff members make inmates' lives "a living hell."

• In Ohio, state law forbids sexual relations between prisoners and corrections employees, and sexual battery is a third-degree felony punishable by one to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Criminal prosecution of ORW staff members, however, has been rare, despite the firing of dozens of correctional employees for inappropriate sexual activity.
    One result of this approach is that the details of most investigations into sexual abuse are not matters of public record. Those cases which do go to trial, however, offer an illuminating insight into the circumstances of prison sexual abuse.