Black Parenting : Why are children expected to obey their parents

Destee,

Recognizing parental authority may (or may not) benefit a child,

Can you give me an example of when it may not benefit a child?

what I disagree with is the idea that they're morally obligated to do so.

Children are not morally obligated to obey their parents.

The child is only morally obligated, if they themselves, feel they are morally obligated.

If a child doesn't accept his/her parent's authority and it's in his/her best interests to do so, they can't be blamed for not doing so

I agree with this, to the extent that parents are ultimately responsible for their children, including teaching the child to accept the parent's authority ... so in this vein ... if the child does not accept the parent's authority (has not been taught this) ... fault / blame cannot be put at the feet of the child alone.

, they have a right to the same autonomy adults do even if they'd be better off otherwise.

It is foolish to bestow personal independence on a newborn child, the way you would an adult.

:heart:

Destee

or even to 'respect' them (on the basis that they are their parents)? Children owe their parents nothing, they never asked to be created (which their parents did for their own selfish reasons). Parents aren't doing their children a favor by providing them with food, clothing, shelter etc., they are the reason why they need these things to begin with. I've never understood how parents can be angry with their child or resentful towads them as though they seriously did not know what they were getting into (or at least could have been getting into) when they chose to make a new person, nobody forced them to procreate. Unless there was a mutual and consensual agreement between parent and child for the child to be born, children are not morally obligated to recognize their parent's authority.

If you create a sentient being, it is your moral obligation to satisfy their needs regardless of how old they are. You are responsible for their needs regardless of whether or not they are capable of satifying them themselves. It is not unjust to not take care of the children you create, for example, I don't think fathers should be forced to pay child support, but it is immoral. The attitude that children are supposed to be 'grateful' to their parents is bizarre. Life is not a gift as there would have to be a pre-existing person who wanted to be born for your having been born to be considered a benefit to you.
Interesting point all though there is no logic or reason in the expaination of it.

Is love a tangible substance, that can be weighed and measured?

or even to 'respect' them (on the basis that they are their parents)? Children owe their parents nothing, they never asked to be created (which their parents did for their own selfish reasons). Parents aren't doing their children a favor by providing them with food, clothing, shelter etc., they are the reason why they need these things to begin with. I've never understood how parents can be angry with their child or resentful towads them as though they seriously did not know what they were getting into (or at least could have been getting into) when they chose to make a new person, nobody forced them to procreate. Unless there was a mutual and consensual agreement between parent and child for the child to be born, children are not morally obligated to recognize their parent's authority.

If you create a sentient being, it is your moral obligation to satisfy their needs regardless of how old they are. You are responsible for their needs regardless of whether or not they are capable of satifying them themselves. It is not unjust to not take care of the children you create, for example, I don't think fathers should be forced to pay child support, but it is immoral. The attitude that children are supposed to be 'grateful' to their parents is bizarre. Life is not a gift as there would have to be a pre-existing person who wanted to be born for your having been born to be considered a benefit to you.

THIS IS GREAT POST!!!!! THIS MAY GO BEYOND THE ASTRAL PLANE!!!!
I BEEN SAYING MUCH OF THIS FOR YEARS!!!!

THIS IS GREAT POST!!!!! THIS MAY GO BEYOND THE ASTRAL PLANE!!!!
I BEEN SAYING MUCH OF THIS FOR YEARS!!!!
and so has Thelemist Robert Anton Wilson, who in his play Wilhelm Reich in Hell advocating children should kill their parents, as did Van Morrison in "This is the End"

What happens when children cross this plane as a result of rape? Whose fault is that?...and when I say rape, I mean primarily that abortion may not be or have been an option. What do you tell those who claim that we actually agree to come to this plane?....that is, we pick our parents ahead of time? Why don't those spirits simply opt not to cross over regardless of what sexual actions are taken??

For the record, my perspective is that children have no obligation to obey parents who are actively moral hypocrites and/or themselves with no earthly or other clue about right and wrong. Bringing children here is no joke, so if you are a parent or anticipate being one, you better know the following:

1.) Who you bring them here with is critical, so you better know your partner's history (recent and distant) as much as possible. Know theirs and know your own. Knowing the energy of what you produce together is without a doubt important.

2.) Assess whether or not your beliefs and traditions are based in truth and reality. Because if they don't line up with the reality of self-love, healing, and empowerment, and a child grows to question them and subsequently takes a different path, they will whether or not you like it. Even the bible does encourage us to bring up a child......??? So, if they stray from "the path", you better be honest enough to look in the mirror.

3.) Forget thinking children will do as you say and not as you do. There are FEW..and I do mean FEW..things that really distinguish adults and children in this regard when you get down to truth. They WILL, again with FEW exceptions, watch what you do WAY more frequently than what you say. The best parents serve as living examples---long as they deal in the TRUTH of Universal Law.

4.) Some children tend to be more insightful about truth than many adults, so don't ignore this possibility when it presents itself. Children can teach and bring stuff to the table as much as any adult. Don't let the ego called 'Authority' kill those gifts and subsequently their respect for adults.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back