Black Spirituality Religion : Why Are Books about ATRs so Expensive?

I haven't looked at some of the other ATR books, but even if they are priced normal they tend to be hard to find.

IF ATR practioners are overcharging, I think that's something that they need to be held accountable for, depending on their goals. I see NOTHING wrong with trying to make money and help people in the process... the market is relatively small, so it makes sense to try to capitalize on the profit. But on the same token making it unreasonably high limits the number of people who can be helped by it. I know I couldn't afford $100 for a book... that's a utility payment.

Music Producer said:
Find something that you want to sell and set it up on Amazon.com. You will see that Amazon has a standard across the board percentage for the particular product category. Thus it is the seller that sets the price, not Amazon.

Thus it is the African group or manufacture of the book that is responsible for the price of the book to the public, not the white man.

My friend and me sell music beats CDs over the net and that is how I know Amazon has a set percentage rate for ALL sellers.

As for ATR being exploited, well in reading web pages of information that comes directly out of Africa one can clearly see that ATR is exactly as it is named African Traditional Religion.

The word Traditional has an extreme impact of it’s faith based system. To understand what I am saying read the web pages that I posted.

But I will give you a hint. If you are an ATR and you see a dope dealer selling dope in you community, if you do not do something about it, you have denounced your obligations to ATR, period.

ATR is a tribal and community oriented religion. It can not be practiced to its fullest as an individual, which is how African Americans now perceive our existence.

Do you know the first and last name of everybody that lives on your street or in your apartment complex or in your neighborhood? If not then you are not practicing true ATR.

First of all, it is not true that the Author the sets the price, the price is set by the publishing house, or the University.

I've responded to your "facts" in the other thread.

YOU having never been a member of an ATR are not in the position to say what constitutes a "true" practitioner.

Your desperate attempts to try to define what constitutes African Traditional Religion by making allusions to a neighborhood and drug dealers is a smoke screen, and you know it.

Here is another link for you

http://www.rootsandrooted.org/egungun.htm

Notice on the bottom half of the page, there is reference to Oyotunji. I'm sure you'll find a way to try to descredit this as well.

river said:
I was looking for books on Amazon about ATRs in general and Vodun and ifa in particular and they run from fifty or sixty dollars with most of the quality ones costing well over a hundred.

This excludes the average Black person from finding out about his /her heritage. Is it just Amazon or is this the normal price range?

Also, is there a Black owned book store on line?

Sistah River, here is a link for inexpensive books on ATR's

http://www.rootsandrooted.org/books.htm

karmashines said:
I haven't looked at some of the other ATR books, but even if they are priced normal they tend to be hard to find.

IF ATR practioners are overcharging, I think that's something that they need to be held accountable for, depending on their goals. I see NOTHING wrong with trying to make money and help people in the process... the market is relatively small, so it makes sense to try to capitalize on the profit. But on the same token making it unreasonably high limits the number of people who can be helped by it. I know I couldn't afford $100 for a book... that's a utility payment.

I agree, but as I stated in the previous post, the price of a book is usually set by the publishing house.

One thing we need to bare in mind, no book can initiate you into an ATR. Books give you the fundamental to traditions and rituals carried out by it's practitioners, but it is the duty of the elders in a Ile (temple) to properly teach you what it is you need to know as an inititiate

Similarly, you can read books on martial arts, but until you become a member of the Dojo and begin the various Katas, as instructed by the Sensei, everything else is academic.

Brotha Sek,

Thanks for the links. Although they do sell through Amazon these are the hidden books you don't see when you enter the key word African Traditional Religion or Ifa or Vodun. And they are very reasonably priced.

So it seems to me that it is not the publisher or the author but Amazon that has this system of only showing the inassessibly priced books to anyone looking for ATR books.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back