Why are Black Men facing Record Unemployment Rates?

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by panafrica, May 10, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This topic is an extention of the college thread. Is the incredibly high unemployment rate among Black Men (as high as 50% in NYC & Baltimore), a reflection of our lack of college education? Why are Black Women finding employment, but Black Men being left out. Last year Newsweek printed an article about Black Women becoming more successful than Black Men. The conclusions of that article was that Black Women in general were better educated, and more responsible (less drug use, imprisonment, more ambitious, etc.). I think this was an incredibly simplistic exploration of this pattern. I would like to know if today's workforce favors women over men? Specifically are Black Men being faced with Racism, and "reverse-Sexism"? Does the belief that women make $.75 on the dollar apply to African Americans? What are the real reasons that Black Women are becoming more successful than Black Men in the workforce?

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well I Think we have to look at the types of labor when we examine this argument.

In Low Paying Jobs or Jobs that are that are entry level managment and mid-management black women are soaring. However if you look to High Paying Jobs and HIgh Level Management Black Men are Soaring better than women.

The same can be said about white men too.

I think the problem is this society is patriarchal and the men at the top are feeding women the crumbs to give them a purported sense of success. Data like this is used to help facilitate the fantasy.

You thnk I am crazy Brother P? Or I just need to stop smoking Estro-JAne?

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Well brothas, my opinion on this is they key point is still racism. I think that we are still being looked upon as the biggest threat, so we are not offered certain positions in a number of companies. I think it's a mixture of not wanting us to succeed and looking at us a less that capable of doing the job the right way. Sure, some of these companies will throw a bone our way, but not too often is it enough. I think that black women are looked at as less of a threat to the white male ego. I think white people think that black women are more responsible and have less vices than black men. Also, like MANASIAC said, it's simply feeding crumbs to women and making them feel successful. Not saying that black women are not qualified or deserving of the positions that they get, but I do think that a black woman could secure a position faster than a black man in some situations. I definately do not think that black women are more responsible than black men. I know an equal amount of both, so I think that is all B/S when that statement is made. Us brothas do need to look further into the future, because I think that sometimes we get so comfortable and happy with just having some money coming in that we don't keep the books open long after that. Then the learning and growing stops and we find ourselves unemployed a year down the road and we haven't furthered ourselves enough to sustain the blow. The same can be said about black women. Just my view.

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    The Answer

Do you know why Black men are facing high unemployment rates? They are facing them because of the true fact that America fears a complete Black Man. If you put an educated, hard-working brotha in a business, he will come close to taking over the business. America is afraid of how powerful black men really are. That is why we were separated, are separated, and will be separated until we get the self-hate out of us. When more brothas start going to college and opening up businesses, this will not be a problem. Racism is too high of an issue to be a small problem. Racism, discrimination, etc. Brothas, if you are victims of the following, Don't you think it is time to unite, and get names on the payrolls? We as slaves worked too hard to be unemployed, and that is true. Our ancestors carried their hard-working genes through our families, which means that we still have them. Bring out the best in you, and you will get what you want for you and yours. Racism and discrimination will not be able to stop that. Remember, God is on your side when you are doing the right thing.

5. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    It's also in the way some black men carry themselves. I've seen black men go for job interviews with their pants hanging off their butts or a darn do-rag on their head.

At all times, go to an interview dressed properly! When my son was 15, he went to McDonald's for an interview. I purchased some black pants and a blue short-sleeved polo shirt for him. His hair was cut, nails cleaned and he had on loafers and a belt in his pants and not the pants hanging.

He came home that afternoon EMPLOYED! (I wouldn't suggest going to McDonald's with a suit). He also went to Target last year, dressed the same way, and bam...hired on the SPOT! Hasn't been there a year and already promoted to security.

Bear in mind, this is not going to be his career. His major is Mass Communications, but this job is a means of support.

I'm seeing some very positive young black men in my area getting good jobs. And the good thing is their demeanor. Some are waiting tables during the summer and going to college. They are the most pleasant young men and I always add a nice tip. (Sad to say, it's the black females who seem to less friendly).

Another thing is that some black men just don't get out and look for a job. I have a friend with a 20-year old son who just won't work. And there are JOBS out there, but he won't get his lazy butt up and she's not enforcing the rules. In order to get job, you gotta get up and SEARCH, and don't stop until you get one.

My son had a hard time after high school, but he didn't give up. That young man was DAILY filling out applications and even I took him to many places and picked up applications for him. He managed to land a job and have enough money to pay for tuition at the local community college, but the fact is: HE WAS ACTIVELY SEEKING.

You see, my friend does not push her son hard enough. And she's not setting an example herself; the money from her husband's death is running out and she figures she can sit at home and do nothing. Well, the son follows her example.

The people at my son's job are sad that he's leaving them in late August. He's a hard worker, only missed ONE day for illness and comes in at times when he's not scheduled. At all times, he's neat in appearance, never with do-rags or hanging pants. (I know I sound rash about that, but I can't stand those do-rags and pants off the butt)

People are watching. There are a lot of brothers on my job who are scientists, chemists, etc. But they carry themselves well on and off the job.

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED - SEE ME FOR INPUT