why are Americans overweight?

gempis said:
From a cultural standpoint, the higher incidence of overweight stature in African-Americans greatly concerns me because it is a population that is already marginalized in health care in the first place, or doesn't have access to any. This is compounded in women by cultural approval of women with big butts, etc. White women have pressure to be think and look skinny, but black women don't necessarily have that, and in fact may have the opposite pressure. This is an extra hurdle in the battle of the bulge, in my eyes. Extra weight is more than an aesthetic problem - it is a health hazard to the body and shortens the lifespan.

For the record, you don't have to be "big" to have a big butt! :grin: However you are correct in stating that there are cultural preferences that do compound this issue. Both African American & Latino cultures prefer larger women (I don't like skinny women myself). Although one thing that we must keep in mind is that skinny is not necessarily healthy. The European ideal is often the supermodel look, and I can assure you those women are anything but healthy.

While VJ57 was on point in much of what she said, in many ways I feel today's society is more concerned about health than has ever been the case in the past. However we always look for the short cuts: Drugs, Atkins, South Beach, etc. Also there is a subculture within our society which promotes satisfaction about being happy with what you are (even if that is dangerously overweight). The BBW or SSBBW (Big Beautiful Woman/Super Size Big Beautiful Woman) is an example of this. What do you ladies think about this term?

Yes you all are correct. I must give up the PIZZA. vj57 I recall the day. President Kennedy started that program.

They don't care about our health, our obesity, our mental health, or anything that would benefit African Americans. There is this company here. In Redwood City ( good name huh? ) I'm going to find on this site where I posted their info. That made a drug that improved the AIDS's illness in Blacks and Asians only. No improvement in Caucasion, of Mexican Americans.

Their funding got cut, and they were told they made a mistake. Investors sold their stock and told them to toss the test results and the medicine. and start over. Guess which road they chose?

There are many clinics in my area for low income families. There are also black and hispanic outreach workers assisting people with their health care. But you can drive a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. It's the same with people - you give them guidance and many won't listen.

Case in point - a relative of mine qualified for a medicaid card due to her low income. But refused to get one and suffered many ailments. And after all this time, she finally caved in and got one, but look at all the problems! No pelvic exam in over 20 years! When she could had gotten her teeth pulled, refused to do so, but now dental care for low income people is virtually nonexistent. Should had taken care of it when it was available.

I know that there's decent medical care in my area but people won't listen. You tell them where to go and they just won't do it.

As for me, I'm blessed to have a job with excellent medical, dental and vision insurance, but there was a time I didn't have it. I went five years without insurance and thankfully, I didn't have health issues. I did get the pelvic and mammos.

I work at a company which provides free mammograms, free flu shots and a nice fitness center for only $20 per month. So, I take advantage of these things.

There is also a free mammogram van for low income women. Also, there are a couple of clinics in my area and another one for the hispanic population.

I don't agree with being grossly overweight. It is not acceptable to me, neither is it healthy. I've seen people weighing over 400 pounds and feel that they should get out of the mindset that it's ok and that they are happy this way. I do not care for grossly overweight men, so fellows, if I can't get my arms around you, forget it! I don't mind a little meat, but if you're looking like Marlon Brando, don't even try to get next to me. You are NOT healthy!

I had a friend who was grossly overweight and he said that a woman HAD to accept him. The man had surgery on his knees and he was over 450 lbs! I told him that he would not find a woman who would accept him and his health problems. He breathed heavily and got tired even walking a short distance.
Well, he's not here today because he died. Was only 44 years old, and he wanted so much to have a woman. He wanted me to be more than a friend, but I just couldn't be that. I miss his friendship and felt that he would had made someone a good husband, but I just couldn't get with him because of the weight!

Wow, vj57. It seems that what you're saying is that the generally lower collective self-esteem of African-Americans - due to internalized racism - results in many devaluing their health and not taking action about it. Am I correct in reading you this way? This takes the conversation in a whole new direction, if so. Upon reflection, there may be something to this. White people also express general lack of caring to do something about their weight/state of health, but this isn't necessarily due to self-hatred.

Perhaps health and weight control issues for African-Americans should also address self-esteem? I will have to think more upon this, but would be most interested to hear what others think. I would eventually like to do something about this issue, in whatever way is proper.

I'm not overweight.
I'm so lean, because of my height they used to call me Tower of Pisa.....

But most Americans are overweight because of the food we eat and because so many of us a lazy and don't care about our behavior and appearance.

Our diet is mostly of fast food which contains "preservatives."

Well hell, if it's preserving the meat you eat...what do you think it's gonna do to YOU if you eat it?
That's why you can't lose weight, because those preservatives you ingest are keeping your body from breaking down the fat and other toxins.

Also, unlike Europe and other places where most people walk, take the bus, or the train....most Americans ride around in cars and abhor public transportation.
We are so isolatory in our nature we can't stand to sit next to eachother for more than an hour.

We work out and lift more weights than anyone on Earth but that's not gonna help you burn fat....only carbs.
You actually burn more fat walking than running in many cases because it's low intensity and steady.

Plus, the modern Western diet is too full of starches like white potatoes, pizza, cake, pretzels and all that other bread.

You just gotta have white rice with everything you eat like Chinese food and other ethinic dishes.

Black folks sit up and eat all that potato salad and Macaroni & cheese and end up falling over with it running out thier mouths.

That mess was made for Italians working on the sea...not us.

We eat more "dough" and filling food than actual meat and vegetables.

They say we weren't designed to eat meat???

Wrong...we aren't designed to eat all this cake and pies and dough we shove down our throats and THAT'S what keeping us fat and unhealthy.

Steak won't give you diabetes but cake will.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back