Black Education / Schools : Why America needs a new approach to school desegregation

Technology is ubiquitous in todays world. What to teach in schools (as if any one needs to learn what technology is) is what it is good for and what it's draw backs are. That it can not be and does not constitute a life. That it is only a useful tool. That there is more to life than that little (very powerful) hand held so called phone.
Within the school setting or life in general it should be no more than a library easier to access than those big heavy doors that close after 7 or 9 pm. and the fine assessed you if a book isn't returned within the allotted time frame.
That being said I'd say if there is a problem with todays technology it's too much information laid on the young before they have the internal and mental capacities to sort the wheat from chafe. Information overload: and there is an awful lot on the web that even young adults of 18 or 20 can not adequately process much less also being so absorbed with a tweeter or u-tube feed back they can't even carry on a coherent conversation.

Schools by design are there to turn out good corporate citizens. That is their function and they do a very good job at it.
Keep that in mind when touting the great all mighty god of technology. If cogs in the machine is your aim then todays schools are just your cup of tea. However if what one aims for are human beings, then the entire system needs to be rethought and redesigned.

Technology is ubiquitous in today's world. That there is more to life than that little (very powerful) hand held so called phone...

... a problem with today's technology it's too much information laid on the young before they have the internal and mental capacities to sort the wheat from chaff. Information overload: and there is an awful lot on the web that even young adults of 18 or 20 can not adequately process ...

... when touting the great all mighty god of technology. If cogs in the machine is your aim then today's schools are just your cup of tea. However if what one aims for are human beings, then the entire system needs to be rethought and redesigned.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
- William Gibson 1993

The use of the word "technology" started rising in 1920 and has skyrocketed since 1960. The Google Ngram Viewer makes it possible to track the use of words over time. This link tracks the use of the words "'science', 'technology', 'computer' and 'engineering'" There is an interesting match between 'technology' and 'computer'.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=computer,science,technology,engineering&year_start=1700&year_end=2008&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1;,computer;,c0;.t1;,science;,c0;.t1;,technology;,c0;.t1;,engineering;,c0

But we have to deal with and understand TECHNOLOGIES, there are many different technologies. Palefaces conquered much of the planet before there were any computers or radios. Telegraphy was the first important use of any electrical technology. It gave them faster communications than anyone else. Electric power and gasoline engines did not become significant until after 1900.

These phones are all Von Neumann Devices. That is not terminology anyone uses but I mean electronic devices that have a Von Neumann Architecture. IBM hired John von Neumann as a consultant in 1951, but I never saw any mention of him while I worked for that corporation. The system decides what you need to know to be useful to the system. Finding a good concise explanation is difficult with all of the CHAFF out there.

How a CPU Works

The CPU and Von Neumann Architecture

I didn't learn how a von Neumann device worked until I built my first computer in 1978 and still did not know the name for it even though it had been called that since 1945.

But we live in a world of technologIES.

We almost never hear the term External Combustion Engine. Steam engines ruled the 19th century. The British used it to beat the Chinese in the Opium Wars.

Nemesis was the first British ocean-going iron warship. Launched in 1839, she was used to great effect in the First Opium War under Captain Richard Collinson and Captain William Hutcheon Hall. The Chinese referred to her as the "devil ship".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(1839)

Gasoline and deisel are Internal Combustion with the fuel burning/exploding inside the cylinder.

But they both required improvement in METALLURGY.

Now we have von Neumann devices infiltrating and controlling all previous technologies from cars to refrigerators to televisions that spy on us and probably soon in our toasters.

https://www.finecooking.com/article/smarter-toasting

So how are we supposed to get Social Justice with palefaces compartmentalizing knowledge and controlling education?

Last edited:
Maybe something is wrong with the American testing system too. What measure is being used to determine the intellectually capacity and competency of our students, in general, Black students in particular?

Education, IMO, is one of those institutions you can’t put a fence around the institutionalized racism.
All students, of every race in the US is affected, as well as the teachers.
Due to a lack of resources, it’s possible Blacks students are affected differently.
I would help my grandson out with math problems, before he graduated, using YouTube as a guide. The math is ridiculous.

I remember when phonics was first introduced. I was told by my sons English teacher not to help my son with phonics.
She said, the teachers are just learning to teach phonics and he shouldn’t be confused.
So I stopped. I started teaching him how to sound out and spell words the back in the day way.

Before my grandson could get his cap and gown he had to complete one of these type problems. Torture.

The Matrix:

:eek1:

The education system is arranged to accommodate the teacher, not the students.
America’s government doesn’t care about its children.

I had a good friend, a social worker, who sat on the school board.
She would tell me most of the meeting was discussing what to do about Black students who act out, being Black.
She said they talked about Black students like she wasn’t present.

After the educational scandal in Atlanta, I don’t know what to think about teachers. Only the Black teacher got caught. I’m positive white teachers are doing the same. Not teaching students and changing test scores to pass students.

So how are we supposed to get Social Justice with palefaces compartmentalizing knowledge and controlling education?

By not letting them dictate the terms. As a human being one does have a choice. One can USE technology or one is USED by technology.
And compartmentalizing only leads to......

"missing the forest for the trees."
author unknown

For instance, you knew perfectly well what I meant when I said 'technology is ubiquitous' just from context. I didn't have to say 'computers' otherwise that wonderful search engine you cited wouldn't have had the vaguest notion of what you were looking for other than the word technology and it's etymology.
We are not talking about electricity or internal combustion engines, steam engines or Stirling engines. Nor are we talking about the steps taken between a sling shot and a stinger missile.
Education is the actualization of the human being. Education should NOT make the human the slave to any man or machine or institution. Which of those two choices should school play?

"I never let school get in the way of my education"
Mark Twain

Last edited:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back