Black Education / Schools : Why America needs a new approach to school desegregation

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, May 22, 2018.

1. ogoun

ogoun Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    Equal rights and justice.

For those that still believe desegregation is the way to achieve those ends, I think busing white kids to our black schools and communities would provide them white pampered suburbanites with a much needed education they could and never would get anywhere else.

For myself I'm more aligned with Malcolm X (I'm paraphrasing here); ' We didn't fight and die for the right to sit next to bull Conner at the lunch counter. I want him out of my way.'

Equal rights and equal justice.
    "If we don't get it. We're gotta take it anyway"
    Jimmy Cliff

2. Symbol of America

Symbol of America going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RET: EMS & TPD
    Ratings:
    +898
    JC is one serious dude.

3. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +140
    America Hates Its Gifted Kids
    http://www.newsweek.com/america-hates-its-gifted-kids-226327

America Hates Its Gifted Kids

Teaching to the middle has hurt the smartest students.
    newsweek.com

Why it Stinks to be Gifted in Schools Today
    https://raisinglifelonglearners.com/it-stinks-to-be-gifted/

Why it Stinks to be Gifted in Schools Today

Tears glistened as he yelled, "I hate school and I never want to go back..." That was when I realized that the school system was failing my son...
    raisinglifelonglearners.com

There is much more to the education issue than segregation.

The computers may be able to make everyone independent of the educational system.

In 1951 Isaac Asimov was writing about education in 2157.
    http://visual-memory.co.uk/daniel/funtheyhad.html

The funny thing is that his version of education is already technologically obsolete. But our educational traditions are blocking the possibilities.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    Having read all of the above, what is the root cause of the Black man's burden? When did it begin and why does it continue? It seems to me that the answer to much of our problems today lie within that which is responsible for where we are and what's happening to us. Is the Black man in control of his/her destiny? How can we resolve our issues if we continue to play a role in sustaining the problem rather than finding and acting on a solution that works for us? In ancient civilizations, they were more homogenous, whereas today, we celebrate diversity. People from many cultures living today--but not always in harmony. What is the Black man's culture and what do we celebrate and have in common besides the color of our skin and the continent where we originated from? What's our heritage? Do we have a common language, religion, food, dress, etc.? Is the "divide and conquer" still at play among us today? Can the answers to those questions help us to thrive and be more in control of our future?

5. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +140
    How would you like to live without electricity for a year? Is electricity Culture?

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    If living without electricity for a year is what it takes to advance as Black people, I could do it. How is electricity benefiting us or how are we using it to benefit our people from a social justice standpoint? Using technology only to fit into someone else's scheme that keeps us under their control is not a benefit to me. But maybe, I don't understand the point of your question.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,394

All I can do is :facepalm:

Woman dependent on oxygen tank dies after power cut off to home following overdue bill
    [​IMG]
    KTRK – Houston

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-dependent-oxygen-tank-dies-232537895.html

Woman dependent on oxygen tank dies after power cut off to home following overdue bill

A woman in hospice care died just hours after PSEG cut off the power to her house in New Jersey because of an overdue bill. The woman relied on an oxygen tank powered by electricity to breathe.
    yahoo.com

8. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,519
    How American Students Truly Rank in International Testing

We throw more money at our schools than just about any other country, and what do we get?
    For our K-12 school system, an honorary membership in the Third World,” writes Professor F. H. Buckley in a Fox News opinion column.
    In math, we’re 38thin the world among developed countries in terms of how 15 year-olds perform. And it’s getting worse, not better.”

Rank in International Testing | Observer" style="box-sizing: border-box;">How American Students Truly Rank in International Testing | Observer
    http://observer.com/2018/01/how-american-students-truly-rank-in-international-testing/ - 122k - Cached - Similar untries start to lap us. ... Among the top

How American Students Truly Rank in International Testing

Americans scored their highest marks in the 20-year history of the tests.
    observer.com

9. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +140
    What does advance mean? One year without electricity would be an extreme pain in the posterior. No Lights! No refrigerator! Imagine the entire US without power for a year. How many would die just because operating rooms in hospitals could not work?

We have all of this talk about Culture but pretend that we have not adjusted to living in a Culture of Technology and act as if not understanding it does not matter. That lack of understanding is just another dependence.

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,460
    I heard about this and it's sad. I'm wondering why she didn't have a back up tank that doesn't need electricity to function. But, you make a good point in this discussion. But can't energy come from other sources other than your local power plant? Just a question I'm curious about.