Black Education / Schools : Why America needs a new approach to school desegregation

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, May 22, 2018.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +14,453
    Why America needs a new approach to school desegregation
    Despite decades of attempts at integration, America’s school remain largely segregated
    JERRY ROSIEK

If the vision of educational fairness expressed in the Brown decision is to be achieved, the nation must deal with the underlying driver of racial segregation in schools: the inclination of white citizens to hoard educational resources ...

https://www.salon.com/2018/05/20/why-america-needs-a-new-approach-to-school-desegregation_partner/

Why America needs a new approach to school desegregation

Despite decades of attempts at integration, America’s school remain largely segregated
    salon.com

[​IMG]

2. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +143
    Is integration the solution to anything? How many status seeking Black people are into classism as much as any White people? One day I was riding home on the train with one of my fellow Black IBMers and he started talking about another rail line more commonly ridden by Black people who would not qualify for IBM jobs as being "smelly under the arms".

Wearing suits and ties really goes to some people's heads. LOL

But looking at the results of Common Core there is way more to this education business than segregation.

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/stories/india/thestory.html

FRONTLINE/WORLD . India - Hole in the Wall . The Story | PBS

FRONTLINE/World ‚ Hole in the Wall ‚ Opening the door to cyberspace - Stories from a small planet
    pbs.org

That is EIGHT years old. What has happened with smartphones in the US since then?

Are schools obsolete and therefore the segregation of schools irrelevant?

3. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +143
  4. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +143
  5. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,502
    This may be true, HOWEVER, and that's a big however, this is what white people in general are accustomed to; being in spaces throughout society where they are the majority or the only people there. Today, thanks to Trump, the racial clock is being turned back, right before our eyes. I know some of you don't like it when I talk about the past but as Black people living in a racist society, the past is the only benchmark we have to measure where we are today and if you've lived as long as some of us, like myself, I'm seeing familiar things that I didn't think I'd ever see again.

There was a time, not so very long ago, when access to equal education, including higher education, was denied to us. So much so, we had to start what we now call HBCUs. At that time, taking race into consideration in terms of who received a college education and where they got that education, was acceptable among white people. After all, it was their norm. Then came Brown v. Board of Education. The Supreme Court plays a significant role in this discussion. Now, with Trump's new affirmative action rollback, which tried to level the "playing field" for Blacks, I fear that HBCU's will now be in violation of his policy because race was very much a factor in terms of who attended them. Guess what this means at those schools. No federal funds for those already struggling institutions, I'm sure.

It's not that Black students can't compete academically, it's about numbers vying for limited spots and whether you are the child of an Alum and major donor to the university. Those factors are very much in play still. Only people of color care about diversifying universities...and wait, it's coming...workplaces...which translates into jobs will be next.

If you think I'm wrong, tell me why.

6. Symbol of America

Symbol of America going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RET: EMS & TPD
    Ratings:
    +962
    You two said quite a mouthful. Purposeful yet compelling. I'm basically a simple man so I'll say this. I follow the N.O.I. Doctrine that Malcolm always touted. Separate but equal or separate but unequal, but separate nonetheless. James Brown sang "I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing Just Open Up The Door And I'll Get It Myself". Malcolm's way of thinking was just stay out of my way while I build the whole **** building myself and do everything for me and mine.

7. ogoun

ogoun Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +231
    Don't hear many black crying out for 'integration' or desegregation except in terms of resources. The only people I hear yelling about desegregation and integration are those pillsbury dough liberals that think integration means taking a couple of token blacks under their wing to the next neighborhood BBQ will make it all ok; and the Wonder bread progressive wanting to prove their chops to their likewise pasty friends by taking our smartest and brightest to wear as lapel ribbons to historically racist institutions like Yale and Harvard to help them whitewash any of the stain.
    They want integration? They want desegregation? I say fine they should start busing their children to our Black schools and communities........then you could bet we'd start getting the funding denied so long.

White man quote;
    "I never let school get in the way of my education"
    Mark Twain

8. Symbol of America

United States
    Ratings:
    +962
    Busing was proven to be America's largest waste of time, resources and a proper educational balance for our young. You got inferior schools be they physical or curriculum deficient, change policy and fix the structure. Don't temporarily displace our young to strange areas. It's unnaturally destabilizing, stressful and more so a serious distraction not conducive to proper learning. I guess in a Yin/Yang type of social science mindset the protagonist would espouse integration as being like the attraction or repulsion of the iron filings at the North or South poles of the magnet. Still not working but we'll keep trying. Naturally antagonist will always claim with their own historical documentation that integration never did, will not now nor will ever benefit anybody because Blacks and Whites are as naturally dissimilar as oil and water and as such will never properly mix and over time they will eventually separate. So just what is the successful solution to the disparity between the races?

9. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +143
    What did Malcolm X or MLK ever say about science and technology?

As far as I am concerned the history of the last 500 years has been a record of what people with technology can do to people without technology and the people without technology could not do a **** thing about it.

This:

[​IMG]

cost more than $3,000,000 in 1978.

Most institutions of higher learning could not afford it at the time. Today we can give tablet computers more powerful than that to grade school kids for $200. My issue with that is most of them are not rugged enough.

So why can't we have segregation that gives Black kids better education than White ones? I find it really curious that double-entry accounting was invented in Italy 700 years ago but we do not hear White economists suggesting that it be mandatory in schools.

Are schools really designed to maintain controlled ignorance even for White people? We don't even have something as simple as a National Recommended Reading List. How much would that cost?

Black Man's Burden (1961) by Mack Reynolds
    http://sfgospel.typepad.com/sf_gospel/2008/08/mack-reynolds-on-africa-islam-utopia-and-progress.html

Mack Reynolds on Africa, Islam, utopia, and progress

It's surprising you don't hear more about Mack Reynolds. By all accounts he injected his stories with radical politics and anti-imperialist utopianism, and he was certainly a precursor of the New Wave. He was well-regarded in his day, and a...
    sfgospel.typepad.com

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32390/32390-h/32390-h.htm

Border, Breed Nor Birth (1963) by Mack Reynolds
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30639/30639-h/30639-h.htm

Malcolm X and MLK could have read those. I wonder what they would have thought of them.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Science_Fiction_(Bookshelf)

10. Symbol of America

United States
    Ratings:
    +962
    I'm not a historian nor a man of quality breeding or superior intelligence and passion like some but to know ones limitations as well as ones assets is what set Malcolm and Martin apart from the hollow leaders who took no closer step to experience the excruciating pain of White violence. Technology and all it's wonders to behold cannot be utilized by our future if they get shot dead or hung in the White controlled structures that house them for use only by their own future. Malcolm and Martin were put on Earth by our GOD to open those doors by any means necessary. I could be wrong but opinions have no need for accuracy so I'll just say maybe, just maybe while Malcolm and Martin were laying down their lives for our future to access futuristic cutting edge ruggedized MIL-STD-81OG/MIL-STD-461F mil-spec tablets it should have been tech savvy civil rights leaders like Ralph Bunche who was a bona fide scientist and Ralph Abernathy who wasted time condemning Martin and worst, brokering some Indian rights deal with the FBI, you know, the Federal agency that invented COINTELPRO? That agency at Wounded Knee in 1973 instead of establishing curriculum's for our future. Well, can't always have it all, but something's better then nothing. Some say 500 years is 5 lifetimes. In other quarters some say 500 years could be as short as a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things. Enjoy the weekend.