Black Relationships : Whose role is birth control?

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by panafrica, Dec 21, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4536554.stm

2. toylin

toylin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Security Guard
    Ratings:
    +17
    So... is your question pertaining specifically to Africa? Or us in America? Or people in general? Or was that a question at all? Perhaps that was just an article with commentary? Help me out here, Pan.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Brother Pan ... it is the responsibility of anyone who engages in activity that can produce a child.

:heart:

Destee

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I believe the responsibility of birth control is actually shared between the woman, the man she's having sex with, and actually the government.....believe it or not.

Everybody is not responsible enough to practice proper birth control so the government sometimes have to step in.

I'm not talking about genocidal programs that force women to be sterilized.....

I'm talking mandatory abortions or adoptions for people who are obviously aren't fit to take care of children.

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

So, who determines that? I can see it now:

1. If you've been to jail, you're unfit.
    2. Ever had a DUI, you're unfit.
    3. On welfare, your unfit.
    4. Ever been on welfare, you're unfit.
    5. Make under $50,000 a year, you're unfit.
    6. If you're single, you're unfit.
    7. Living with or married to someone that's been in jail/ prison, you're unfit.
    8. If you don't have a bedroom for each child, you're unfit.
    9. If you owe taxes, you're unfit.
    10. Unemployed, you're unfit.

And the list goes on and on. Now, how many of us are or have been on of those 10 on this simple list? Once we give the government that kind of power, they'll determine who's unfit according to their own personal opinion of the people who are "beneath" them. I think anyone that doesn't want to have a baby as the result of having sex, is responsible for birth control. Anyone that doesn't want to catch a disease as a result fof having sex should be the one that has birth control. So basically, both parties should look out fr their own well-being.

6. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Today?!!?

The responsisbility falls on they that are most likely to be left with the child. Woe be onto she that wont protect herself in the clinches

7. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Kente

The community should set the standards.

The civilized way is to unite on common laws and reasonable principles as a society that we can all respect.

We aren't like animals that have sex and sh*t out thier children on the open praries.
    God gave us part of Himself that we may have higher principles than the rest of the animals.

If you are ON welfare, in my opinion you are unfit to have children.
    How can you take care of children when you can't even take care of yourself?

If you're single when you got pregnant, in my opinion you're unfit.
    It took 2 people to make a child, and it takes 2 to take care of that child properly.

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This debate originated in Africa, but it affects us (African Americans) equally. I guess this is just the PanAfrican in me, illustrating how we deal with the same situations.

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

How is the community going to set the standard for anything, when they are divided on just about every issue? There will never be principles that everyone respects. Especially since some people in that community might be on welfare and a good portion will be single and so on and so forth. No single person is going to agree that mandatory abortions should be implemented if a single person gets pregnant. No person on welfare will agree that mandatory abortions should be implemented on them. Plus, if the government is going to be overseeing all of this and making sure everyone abides by it, they [email protected] sure are going to want to be the ones who set the perameters. Since when does the government say "okay, you guys go ahead and make the laws, we'll make sure everyone abides by the, for you"? They're going to write the laws according to whom they feel are unfit, then they'll make you abide by them. If we're talking about fantasy land, then yes I think the community should make up their own laws.

Plus, don't see where it's anyones business when it comes to who can get pregnant and who can't. I believe people who have babies while on welfare should not get assistance for any additional kids that they have, but to force them into abortion is way too much power for any government to have. Especially if the government in question has a history of racism. It rediculous for any non-white person to agree that the government (mostly white men) should have the power over procreation. Many of us were born from single parents or parents that have been on welfare or were on welfare at the time. There are great people that were born in poverty and to single women. Then, there are plenty garbage that has been born into wealthy marriages. So, what you're saying by your statements are that a large number of black people in this country (if not the majority of black people) should be forced by the government into forced abortions in the event of a pregnancy.

10. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Awoman only carries a child for nine months but the whole race, men and women, carry the burden of ill-raised messed -up children for eternity. Black men who don't feel responsible fr their own should not complain that the white man doesn't care either.