Black People : Whose Movement: Malcolm X or Dr. King?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sodwn2earth, May 21, 2005.

1. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Based upon who you are and your own expirences, whose movement would you have most supported? Dr.Martin Luther King, or Malcolm X? What ideologies from their movements most appeal to you?

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    One question-

Is it true that Malcolm X really said:

"While Dr. King was having a dream, we were having a nightmare!?"

CD

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I greatly admire both men; however, hindsight being 20/20...seeing how integration has stagnated the progress of the African American community...I have to go with the original Black Nationalist visions of Malcolm X.

4. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    SoDown

Come on bro...

You ask a forum full of PanAfricanists to choose between Malcolm X and Martin????

That's a no brainer around these parts.

But I would have been a member of Malcolm's Muslim Mosque Inc

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Brother Malcolm is the obvious choice, however I believe Dr. Kings dream was mis understood.

I believe what Dr. King was really talking about was not really integeration, but having equal access. I believe if he would have lived that Blacks would be still segerated and self-sufficient. Just because you wish for equality does not mean you want intergration...

6. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Though these extraordinary brothers had different ideologies…in all honesty, neither of these brothers really originated a movement to support…they both supported the movement and needs of the people. They were more so representatives of the people and not just about their own personal designs (unlike many who try to lead today).

What King was able to accomplish as a leader or figurehead cannot be denied by the most radical of revolutionary thinkers, even though, many at the time had big reservations about his techniques and approach…but everyone knew and knows that the most basic civil rights were necessary for any other philosophical revolutionary response or actual protest. The Civil rights movement was dealing with some of America’s most fundamental rights (free speech, freedom to assemble and access to basic public accommodation). Remember, Black folks couldn’t even go to the public library at one time, in some states.

Malcolm X the NOI Muslim, was more so trying to awaken Black people and was really espousing the non-political teachings of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad “do for self” and “knowledge of self”…but Malcolm the Black Nationalist was trying to reach and evoke the nationalist needs of the people and, associate and eventually solidify our nationalist position with many other third world nationalist in and outside of the country, Black or otherwise. At this point he sought a common ground with all progressive Black movements.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    So Down 2 Earth ... look at you Sister !!! All these great questions!

What stands out most, to me, about these magnificent Brothers, is that they are more alike than different.

They were both seeking, leading and guiding, our people into what they believed was a better way. Obviously, many other Sisters and Brothers agreed with them. Both movements were going on simultaneously, which means that both were needed ... that there was room for both ... at that same time.

We are a very diverse people, we will probably not have one great big ol' giant organization that can easily accomodate all of us. There will always be smaller groups, that speak to more specific needs and goals. Just because these smaller groups exist, does not mean that one is greater or more needed than the other ... it simply means, to me, that we have a great many needs and all of them, from different perspectives, can be being addressed simultaneously.

We have the capacity within us, to be working on several different fronts, doing entirely different things, in as equally different manners ... and all be working toward our unification and liberation as a people! Why limit ourselves to either / or ... why not let it be all!?

I embrace them both ... all that my Ancestors left for me.

:heart:

Destee

8. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    great question.

both. They both were feared.

9. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I would have rolled with El Hajj Malik El Shabazz...

I have more his fire in my belly than the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King.

I make this decision based on my spirit and how I feel about each movement. To be honest, I am more the separatist type of brotha in finding solutions to the problems that plague our people. I truly do believe that Malcolm had this in mind...and the road he mapped for us is the best road ultimately for our people. Although I understood what Martin was trying to do, I just couldn't get with it after awhile.

I truly believe that these two brilliant men realized through their mental and spiritual evolution how big this problem really was...and is to this day. It's a monster unlike any other that anyone in the world has ever faced. The mere thought of it makes some people crumble in their souls. And these two men had to face it day in and day out AFTER they realized the pervasiveness of this evil.

I love them both for they gave their lives knowing that they could have turned back...or sold out under its pressure and fear.

peace

10. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I admire both men, but I think for today's time there should be more emphasis on Malcolm X's message.

Even though there is a hell of a lot of racism, we still have a lot more freedoms available to us than those in the past -- at least enough that we have more of an opportunity to do something for ourselves economically. With that being said, the focus needs to turn inward; what can we do to get ourselves to function as an independent entity.