Black Sports : WHO'S THE GREATEST

panafrica said:
Lewis...Holyfield...Bowe...these guys fought each other. Tyson either lost to them, or avoided them (Bowe). Might I also point out that Tyson had an opportunity to fight Lennox Lewis in 1996 (when he regained the title). However he paid Lennox $4 million to step aside so he could fight Holyfield (who he thought was an easier fight). Thus Tyson again displayed an unwillingness to fight the best competition while champ. Lewis & Holyfield cleaned out a very competitive division in the 90s (Mercer, Moorer, Golota, Tua, Mccall, Hide, Briggs, Cooper, Foreman, etc). Tyson is also the same age as these guys, so it is hard to argue that he wasn't in his prime, while they were. The only decent fighter Tyson fought and beat while he was champ was Michael Spinks. The rest were hopeless cases, and everyone knew they were hopeless cases. I'm not being hypocritical by saying Tyson was overrated, I always felt he was overrated. I was picking Holyfield to beat Tyson back in 1989. It took 7 years for them to finally meet, but when they finally did, what happened was what I always thought would happen!
Tyson was in his prime when he beat Spinks after that fight he fired his long time trainer Kevin Rooney and even though he won fights he was never the same again because he didnt train so it doesnt matter that he was still young. You seem to forget Tyson beat Razor Ruddick( who was a big time heavyweight contender) Andrew Golota(who beat up Bowe in two fights but lost both by DQ because he keep hitting Bowe below the belt) and Alex Stewart(who beat George Foreman). Tyson allowed Don King to talk him to doing a whole lot of nonsense that kept him from reaching his full potential.

oceolo said:
Tyson was in his prime when he beat Spinks after that fight he fired his long time trainer Kevin Rooney and even though he won fights he was never the same again because he didnt train so it doesnt matter that he was still young. You seem to forget Tyson beat Razor Ruddick( who was a big time heavyweight contender) Andrew Golota(who beat up Bowe in two fights but lost both by DQ because he keep hitting Bowe below the belt) and Alex Stewart(who beat George Foreman). Tyson allowed Don King to talk him to doing a whole lot of nonsense that kept him from reaching his full potential.

Tyson did beat Ruddick; however, Donovan "Ravor" Ruddick never came close to winning a title. Before the Tyson fight Razor Ruddick's biggest victory was knocking out Michael Dokes, who was knocked out 2 years earlier by Holyfield. Lewis also knocked Ruddick out in 2 rounds (it took Tyson 7 in the first match, and he went the distance in the rematch). Tyson beat Golota 4 years after Lennox Lewis knocked him out in the 1st round. He also beat Alex Stewart years after Holyfield had already knocked him out. Not only did Lennox Lewis & Evander Holyfield fight those guys before Tyson, in many cases they looked better in their victories. Look Oceolo, I'm not saying that Tyson was not a top heavyweight champion, but #1? No way, not even close....his record & opponents don't add up under scrutiny of someone who actually knows boxing (not a casual fan).

no matter what ALI was , is and still the greatest of all times
in his prime he had mouth , speed , and hands to beat his prey

if you face Tyson prime and ALI prime
tyson would have been beaten Ali Lee would have stood toe 2 toe
and bash Tyson

Thankz PanAfrica for those points in careers of great fighters but we all
know ALI stand out in the crowd he is the GREATEST of all times at this point!

panafrica said:
Tyson did beat Ruddick; however, Donovan "Ravor" Ruddick never came close to winning a title. Before the Tyson fight Razor Ruddick's biggest victory was knocking out Michael Dokes, who was knocked out 2 years earlier by Holyfield. Lewis also knocked Ruddick out in 2 rounds (it took Tyson 7 in the first match, and he went the distance in the rematch). Tyson beat Golota 4 years after Lennox Lewis knocked him out in the 1st round. He also beat Alex Stewart years after Holyfield had already knocked him out. Not only did Lennox Lewis & Evander Holyfield fight those guys before Tyson, in many cases they looked better in their victories. Look Oceolo, I'm not saying that Tyson was not a top heavyweight champion, but #1? No way, not even close....his record & opponents don't add up under scrutiny of someone who actually knows boxing (not a casual fan).

I am not a casual fan . You keep bringing up names of fighters from Tyson's era that in your opinion are better ,but they have not beaten anyone that were really any better than the guys Tyson have beaten.
I know Tyson was beaten by Holyfield and Lewis, but Tyson was just a shell of his former self-- if he met them in his prime when he trained hard I think he would have beaten them both .

oceolo said:
I am not a casual fan . You keep bringing up names of fighters from Tyson's era that in your opinion are better ,but they have not beaten anyone that were really any better than the guys Tyson have beaten.
I know Tyson was beaten by Holyfield and Lewis, but Tyson was just a shell of his former self-- if he met them in his prime when he trained hard I think he would have beaten them both .

Tyson was a belt holder (actually he held 2 of the 3 major belts) when he was beaten by Evander Holyfield in 1996. Therefore I do not accept the notion that he was a "shell" of his former self. If he had not held a title in years, and had not fought in years when he was beaten (as Larry Holmes & Mike Spinks were when they lost to Tyson) then I would agree with you. I don't think Mike lost as much in prison, as all his fans would like to believe. I think Mike Tysons problems in the 1990s was that his competition got more difficult!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back