Black Entertainment : Whoopi Goldberg on The View: ‘I’m an American! I’m not an African-American’

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Liberty, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    Well over a year after Raven Symone received backlash for saying she is not African-American, her fellow The View co-host Whoopi Goldberg is now echoing what seems to be similar sentiments.

Tuesday, during a conversation about immigration, Joy Behar lightheartedly quipped that in light of Donald Trump’s bid for presidency, people may want to consider leaving America to seek refuge elsewhere.

Goldberg instantly balked at the joke declaring, “You know what uh uh! This is my country.”

“My mother, my grandmother, my great grand folks, we busted *** to be here,” she continued as the audience applauded. “I’m sorry. I’m an American. I’m not an African American, I’m not a chick American, I’m an American.”

Read

http://thegrio.com/2016/01/05/whoopi-goldberg-the-view-american-african/

2. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    Can someone tell me what a "chick American" is?

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
  4. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,901
    I don't know either. I'm guessing that chick is more like you're a "fill in blank"__American or the chick stands for not authentic.

Whoopi is comfortable so all is good. :)

Where as Raven is just delusional.

5. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    I can't say I am surprised hearing this from Whoopi. She doesn't have much of a AA fan base. And, she surrounds herself with white folks.... She even did a skit where she had a pillowcase on her head, pretending to be a white girl with long hair.
    But, Lord forbid, she gets into some legal troubles.
    She will suddenly discover her roots, and seek us out to protect her.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Enjoyed Enjoyed x 1
    • List
  6. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +866
    I'd like to consider myself an American 1st. 10 generations of my family were born here and died here. But America doesn't love us like that.

7. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Whoopi is a lady of a certain, and has been in the industry long enough to say whatever she wants. Whose really listening.

When she first started her comedy routines she did the pillow case parody? During that time, little brown girls were actually playing like white women with long hair by putting a pillow case on our hair.

My sisters and I would put a pillow case on our head and mimic the white woman. After seeing Whoopi's act we stopped. It didn't look so good. I think that was her purpose. It was a reality check.

Sometimes I feel like the butt length weaves are similar to the pillow case.

8. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    having been around when "negro" was okay...better than the alternative; when black became the "in thang," that went along with "black power"; when the transition from black to african american didn't go over as well as some thought it should have...and many said, "i ain't ne'va been to no africa. i'm black. that's whut i is." that's about the time we fell into that "my n*gga" stage. during all that time, there were a lot of us who claimed "american" over "african american" coz that's what we knew. so, no, i can't condemn Whoopi...coz i'd have to condemn so many others who think and feel/believe as she does.

i think the big question is: is that something we want to condemn our people for...how they choose to refer to themselves? aren't there bigger issues we should be examining, to justify condemning our people?

help me out.

btw, Whoopi has a serious "black" fan base.

9. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,254
    I don't think it is a question of identifying as AA, Black, Negro or Colored, etc. I think Whoopi is distancing from all those labels. Is she saying she identifies with white America?

Personally, it bothers me when people who have a platform espouse these views because youngsters hear them and think that this is a pragmatic way of dealing with racism..... just deny that it exists.

This may work to some degree for millionaires, but could be dangerous to many AAs.

Most of all, a Black person can delude themselves into believing they are a martian from another galaxy if they want to. But, society will always remind them that they are second class citizens in the good olé USA, no matter what they self-identify as.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  10. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

Chick ... is a nickname, often for Charles. So, Chick American is like saying Charles American, which would be tantamount to saying ....... John Doe.

• Thank You Thank You x 2
    • List