Black People : Who watches Static Shock?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, May 20, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is something I never thought I'd do, but after seeing the popularity of LibertyLady's thread about SpongeBob, and how many people on here watch cartoons......I thought I'd promote one of the most progressive Afro-centric cartoons on TV: Static Shock. The cartoon is about a black teenager who gains super powers after a police raid. The character is based off a comic book by Milestone Comics (a black comicbook company, which unfortunately stopped publishing books in 1997). This cartoon has dealt with racism, poverty, and it even had episodes devoted to PanAfricanism....something I never thought would be discussed on a Saturday morning cartoon show. For the cartoon lovers on the site, I recommend this one. I believe it is currently in its 4th season, and is entertaining....check it out!

2. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey Pan

I had never heard of this carton before. I did find some video clips, but was unable to view them because I'm on my lapcrap...I mean laptop...lol
    Anyway, I searched the TV listings and I believe this cartoon is only shown thru satellite here :(

3. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have watched Static Shock before. In addition, I have read a few of the comics, it was made mainstream by DC comics. I like the theme of the show, but the show is plagued with weak villains a lot. I think the writers of the show need to try to pump up the stories. I am an avid comic fan and I am in the process of creating a Comic series for Television myself. I am not trying to hate on the show but I have watched several black cartoon shows over the years, all the way from Hammer Man (A Show about MC Hammer being a super hero) to Static Shock. And a lot of them are just like Black Film, they contain the same formula which is below:

Funny black guy + weak plot = A Majority of Black Films and Cartoons

Fat Albert was the best Black Cartoon ever, because it had this formula, which is not traditional for Black Media:

Strong Characters + Good Writing + Strong Plot = Fat Albert

I think once Static Shock develops the above formula it will be a contender but until then it will never reach it is potential.

Just an opinion.

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    This is surprising Nita...it is a national cartoon (WB). I don't know why it wouldn't be shown in your area.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The show is watered down....I agree, but the target audience are 8-12 year olds (unlike the comic, which dealt with an older crowd). The cartoon has dealt with some mature topics, but they're few and far between. For now I'm content that a black created character is on Saturday mornings for my kids to see. That is a milestone (pardon the pun) in itself. I'll wait for your show to come out soon Manasiac.

6. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well,

Let me check my listings again. Arkansas is always behind on stuff...smh
    Man, I agree, Fat Albert was the best cartoon. It had deep messages and some jammin junk yard tunes...lololol

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Actually Brother Pan their are other shows which are aimed at the same age group, that have stronger plots and better stories. Shaman King, Cubix, and some others. I think the problem with static is that the writers have been very sucessful with their current formula and feel no need to setup it up. The episodes which actually tell a nice story I notice are those that seemed to be different from your typical static show. They have a very strong story and are usually the best episodes. Also Static shock is aimed at kids between 10 to 16 as well. Not just 8 to 10 year olds.

8. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Hey! I like that watered down cartoon! LOL! I also like the proud family cartoon. I don't watch TV much but when I do catch a glimpes of these two, I enjoy them!

9. yaphet al-wynn

yaphet al-wynn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    static is strong with its theme. The friendship with his best pal Richie (an episode, dealt with his dad who is a bigot). The villains, true they play on stereotypes a bit-but the Hispanic guy that has fire as a power and Ebon, who is the main villain is smart runs a gang of super powered teens and he still try to recruit static.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I think that guy...hotstreak....is white, not Hispanic.