Black Sports : Who was the best NBA team of alltime?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Feb 22, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Most great basketball teams are compared to Bill Russell's Celtics or Magic Johnson's Lakers. However, I think Michael Jordan's Bulls are overlooked, and underestimated. When the Bulls set the record for wins in a single season: 72-10, in 1996 (a record which will probably stand for a long time). Most critics said that the Bulls dominance was a result of a weak League. Personally I think that viewpoint was "bull", pun intended. The NBA in the 1990s, was much more competitive than in the 1960s. Furthermore I think the Bulls would have had no problems with Bill Russell's Celtics. Russell would have given the Bulls trouble (he was better than Bill Cartwright & Luc Longley combined). I personally couldn't stand Longley (most games I wanted to go through the TV, and choke him), but overall the Bulls had better defense & offense than the Celtics. It really would have been no contest. Magic Johnson's Lakers of the 1980s might have given the Bulls trouble, but I still feel that Michael would beat Magic.

I have no doubt that the 1990 Chicago Bulls was the greatest team in NBA history. My only question was which line up was better: Bill Cartwright, Horace Grant, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, John Paxson/BJ Armstrong (the team that won championships from 91-93). Or was the record setting squad: Luc Longley, Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, and Ron Harper (96-98).

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    indeed now i have to say that the team of NBA glory was
    these few BULLS , LAKERS , CELTICS but now which was
    best i have to give it to CHICAGO BULLS hands down even
    magic Johnson spoke on this team of greatness and back in
    the Bill Russell era the Bull would have walked on this team
    you can't stop RUSSELL but he would not been able to carry the full load and the Lakers was a deep team of talent but would have
    fallen to the Bull as well the Best TEAM as of today and still stand the BULLS of the 90's ....
    which team was the best of the Bulls the cast of good players
    in both era's of the 90's BULLS and really can't be compared
    to me because both was out standing with the main dish
    M.JORDAN & S. PIPPEN with add of three point sharp shooter
    J.PAXSON this team was awesome and jell very well together
    CARTWRIGHT wasn't a strong center but stood his grounds due
    to the sharp elbows ......now going down the line again the main
    dish of a 1, 2 punch and mix of RODMAN who picked up the slack of L.LONGLEY was a very well put together team who set
    a GOLDEN RECORD that stands today and will be a while before it's broken that year the BULLS set a higher stander and
    greater goals this was a awesome group to me i never really looked at it as the split but as whole of the (90's)
    now i a rare jewel of this era THE CHICAGO BULLS
    for the 90's i have every game every playoff and every Championship on tape i can go back and watch the history made in the chicagoland on Madison ......
    i really would have to say both even just in the later years of the
    90's the BULLS was more wise and jell to perfection that open
    up the UNSTOPABLE BULLS that was on a path making NBA
    Record wins of 72...which the lakers did it at 69 wins once no other team came close to that even the Celtics didn't
    back then the game was strong but at that time one great player with no supporting cast by the time Chicago Bulls rise to the challenge the leauge was full with teams of talented players and it was more harder then it would have been in the golden years
    This Team is by far the Greatest Team Every To step on the court
    and both BULLS split team are EVEN the rolls they played in harmony made it work plus the JORDAN & PIPPEN was Key factor's and the X-Factor's was back then Paxson to Rodman
    BULLS to me never had a strong top center but the supporting cast was biger then any center in the league .....

the history of Chicago I can write from watching every game
    and savior the best team ever as i capture this glory on tape
    foot notes enterviews and all the backdoor trouble this team had
    trying to break them down but the will strong play of the BULLS
    made them very hard to beat and unstopabulls .

3. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think it's the Bulls. They use to kill my team the Portland Trailblazer (Clyde the Glide, Terry Porter, Jerome Kersey, Kevin Duckworth, Buck Williams). I got so pissed when the Bulls beat them in the Finals. I though Portland had a title. Anyways, Jordan and the Bulls seemed unstoppable for years. The Laker's a close behind, but the Bulls would take them. I'm not sure what year the Bulls beat Portland in the final.....it was the game when Jordan had like 32 in the first half. You know, when he gave the "I don't know look after he hit a 3-pointer in my man Clyde's face". Incredible. I think that was the best team of all-time. What about Detroit? They were tough too in their championship days. They pissed me off a few times also. Joe Dumars was no joke. Or Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson. Where do you think they fit?

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    indeed the BULLS of the 90's was the hottest team and surely well talented
    The Detroit Bad Boys was good champs but can't meassure up to the greatest
    teams i've seen like da BULLS , L.A.LAKERS , BOSTON CELTICS these was true
    champions the year the BULLS took PORLAND was in 1992 game 5 when Jordan
    pump in 6 trays from deep and lead the BULLS to a 4 - 2 CHAMPIONSHIP VICTORY

I was jumping all over the house it was like i was right there game by game !
    yes The BULLS are THE GREATEST TEAM TO HIT THE COURT !!
    but again mix emotions too which group was the best between the frist 3 too
    the last 3 championships i think Jordan & Pippen was the Key in all with added
    Rodman to the mix made this tram unstoppable and he control da boards
    but in the first years it was the man on the wing J.Paxton with help from B.J
    wow 72 - 10 season this will stand for a while took the Bulls a while to break
    that History of the LAKERS 69 winning season and Boston put up big winning
    numbers but DETROIT never had seasons like these they rank to me in the top
    10 but far from these three teams .

5. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I see your point $$RICH$$. I have to admit, when Jordan pumped in those threes I was like dang, it's all over. I knew it was over man. That killed me. I wanted the Blazers to win. True though, Detroit was good, but no as good. I think the success of that team was Jordan and Pippen, but I think the amount of respect Jordan commanded was the ultimate key. His teammate see that he's on another level and they don't want to be the cause of the failure. They don't want to let him down. Plus everyone knew their role on the team. That's the key too. Players don't know how to play like that nowdays so that 72-10 will be standing strong for a while until these guys learn how to play.

6. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes you made a major point today game is about the $$$$$
    not the love of the game so the teams will always be off with
    no unity .....Basketball just not the same anymore but i just love
    the sport....yeap that Record will stand a long time 72 - 10 BULLS

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    bringing it back

Looking at the collapse of the Yankees & the Lakers...I would have to say that the 90s Chicago Bulls is the greatest sports franchise of the last 30 years!!

8. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    you know Pan i have to agree because both teams is a highly paid franchises
    and this show that a team with good unity can beat the money game with
    depth which the 90's BULLS had lot of and i don't see the 72 - 10 record being
    broken right now or even the past LAKERS 69 - 13 record being beat the 90's
    BULLS set many records and broke a lot on the way to 6 titles

the biggest question still lingers and loom if Jordan hadn't retired between
    the 6 championships could they have won that year for 7 str8 titles ....???

i have always pounder on this and tryed to place them in that season and
    looked at the break down and say to my self YES they could have and would
    have if he was there but the reality truth remain open and what if ......?

this will forever be a mystery of the greatest team symbol DA BULLS of the 90's

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    There is little doubt in my mind that the Bulls would have won 2 if not 3 titles in the years of Jordan's 1st & 2nd retirements. Neither the Knicks or Rockets were impressive in the "missed shot contest" they put up in the 94 Finals (also the Knicks barely got passed a Pippen-led Bulls). This is a year that I'm sure the Bulls would have won another title (which would have been their 4th straight).

My question mark year is 1995. The young Orlando Magic (Shaq, Penny Hardaway, Nick Anderson, Dennis Scott, and ex-Bull Horace Grant) was looking pretty unbeatable, especially at home. Indeed they knocked off the Bulls in the playoffs (with Jordan just coming back from retirement). The Rockets did not look impressive this year until they returned to the Finals & sweep the Magic. If the Bulls were going to lose in the Jordan era, this is the only year I see them losing. However looking at the Magic's collapse against Houston, it is hard not to see them doing the same against Chicago. Also while the Rockets were impressive in the Finals, in reality they were going off the momentum of their previous championship (which they wouldn't have won if Jordan hadn't retired).

Lastly I also feel the Bulls very well could have won another title in the strike shortened season of 1999. The Bulls looked tired at the end of their 1998 Finals win, but the strike shortened season would have given them plenty of rest. Many teams struggled during this season, and going into the playoffs there was uncertainty (the season was the only time a #8 seed advanced into the Finals). There was no competition in the Eastern Conference, and I'm sure that the Bulls would have beaten the Knicks, Heat, Pacers). In the Finals the Spurs (led by rookie Tim Duncun) were too green to beat a Jordan led Bulls. Thus if that dumb :censored: Jerry Krause hadn't broken up the team, surely this would have been another title year for Chicago!

Of course this is all speculation, but I do think the Bulls should have won at least 2 more titles in the 1990s. The only year I'll give to another team is 1995....only because that loss give Jordan/Pippen the motivation to begin the 2nd 3-Peat! This was unquestionably the team of the 1990s, and the most dominate sports franchise since the untouchable Russell Celtics of the 1960s!

10. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    being a knicks fan i hate the bulls with a passion, but i did respect michaels game. the bulls team with rodman was the best out of the bulls/90's.

however the x factor in the showtime lakers v.s. the 72-10 bulls would be abdul jabar! no one including rodman would have been able to check him.there for the showtime lakers would have been the best ever. its hard for me to go against mike but when u have ..majic, jabar, worthy, byron scott, rambous, michael cooper, thats un stoppable. worthy ,jabar, and johnson were awsome offensive (and defensive) PLAYERS. ON THE BULLS ONLY PIPPEN AND RODMAN COULD SCORE CONSISTENTLY. longly & rodman would get worn out by jabar....u gots to throw the shaq/kobe/ lakersin the mix,i mean shaq is an unstoppable force.

power rankings all time.top 7

1.showtime lakers
    2.72-10 bulls
    3.shaq./kobe lakers
    4.90/91 pistons
    5.old skool celtics
    6.championship 70'sknicks
    7.ewings/spreewells/rileys knick teams (despite no championship)<best defense ever played

who one more rings showtime lakes or the 72-10 bulls i forget, showtime won 4 i think so that might makeme inclined to chamge my mind bein thatthe bulls won 6.

who woul win between the 72-10 bulls and the shaq/kobe lakes w/ ron harper?? i thereis no answer for shaq kobe and mike are a wash. then again what about rodman??