Black Entertainment : Who was Oscar ? you know from the oscars?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Auroraflower, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Auroraflower

Auroraflower Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +35
    was he the first man who made a movie....?

who was he..?

2. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12

This is a good question. As a movie lover, I had to research this. Here is what I found:

The statuettes that were presented to the first Academy Awards winners were nearly identical to those handed out today. Sculpted by George Stanley, The Academy Award of Merit (Oscar's official name) was a knight, made of solid bronze, holding a sword and standing upon a reel of film.

The very first person to receive an Academy Award didn't attend the first Academy Awards ceremony. Emil Jannings, the winner for best actor, had decided to go back to his home in Germany before the ceremony. Before he left for his trip, Jannings was handed the very first Academy Award.

Officially named the Academy Award of Merit, the statuette is better known by a nickname, Oscar, the origins of which aren't clear. A popular story has been that an Academy librarian and eventual executive director, Margaret Herrick, thought it resembled her Uncle Oscar and said so; and that the Academy staff began referring to it as Oscar.

Whatever the actual origin of the nickname, it was well enough known by 1934 that Walt Disney supposedly used it during an acceptance speech that year. Although journalists used the nickname with increasing frequency during the late 1930s, the Academy didn't officially use the name Oscar until 1939.

3. Auroraflower

Auroraflower Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +35
    Thank you for responding :heart:

that was sweet of you uplift...to look it up...

aww much love hug...

hope i have the abbility in the future without getting blocked to respond more to you all ...