Science and Technology : Who Wants a Tech Class

what?!! wait a minute! you got DNS???

HODEE said:
I needed to save and reload a program like dragon naturally speaking and its drivers ( in one save ) that allows me to speak into a mic and my computer types the words in notepad or something.
Hodee! You got dragon naturally speaking?!! oh, man!! that is the one piece of software that i need!! see, there be too much in my head that i just can't keep up when i'm trying to type! i get tongue tied when i get to trying to talk, sometimes, and practising by doing would prolly help. also, getting these thoughts down "on paper" would help me to see what the heck i'm trying to say well enough that i could decode it into english for folks! :lol: anyway! YOU GOT DNS???!! well, farbeit from me to suggest that anybody be pirating any of the goods of "them maggots" .... "can you say "barter"?"

how much did that cost? how well does it work? how long did the training take you? (for those that might not know, i mean training the software to understand one's specific style of speaking.)

Bro, we gots to talk!!!

HODEE said:
It's Great your looking out for us. This Microsoft system has me going crazy. You know its a BETA program, and we are the guinea pigs to test drive it and work out the bugs for BILL. You know I called for tech help with them. They refused to help me necause I didn't buy it direct from them. It can installed and they don't support OEM installs. All computers you buy have it pre-installed. Its their software and that is a rip-off to deny anyone using it some help.
"catch-22" isn't it?! sounds like them rose tinted glasses that the software industry forces on folks is starting to crack a bit! GOOD! and that's only the tip of the iceberg!! (although, actually, it would be more like "the nose of the camel", before the rest of it works it's way into your tent. an iceberg is "out there"; a "camel in your tent" is much more personal!)
The hackers,
(you mean ********, pirates and script kiddies.)
play havoc with our piece of mind. McAfee has turned into a virus , hostage taker of my system.
yeah! and norton's and music match and every piece of software that is supposedly "approved" of as being "in the best interests" ... "of the user"?? no way!!
Now I can't get the downloads SP2 loaded, and I'm without coverage.
<whew!> there have been reams written about the problems with getting sp2 installed. mostly what happens is that the computer gets "owned" before one even has a chance to get the dang thing downloaded, let alone, installed! what has been figured out is that one has to burn a "slipstreamed" xp install that includes the service packs in the initial installation. i think you might be able to find that info by searching on "slipstreamed xp install" or some variation of that.

on the other hand.
What has happened lately is my cd player, and my DVD player won't recognize a windows cd game my son wants to play and load.
ouch! can you play DVDs or listen to music? if none of it works, it might be the drivers for the dvd or cd drive. if it's only that game, or certain games ... well, shoot; too many possibilities ... how far does the loading of that(those?) game(s) get? does it give you any kind of error message? and then there is the question of what else is running, or has been installed, that might be interfering. seems that some of the "conventional wisdom" out and about is to try to run the games in a "clean boot" environment, by configuring the system to boot without loading everything that it loads on a typical boot. but, frankly, one shouldn't have to go through all those sorts of hoops just to use the stuff that one has paid money for!!

(actually, that no longer means what it used to mean!! see, one doesn't acually "buy" software anymore; one is only "licensing" it, with revocation of license at the discretion of the software!! "how do they know that one might be violating the license?!" that's where that "phoning home" bit comes in!! so guess who's loading that crap on your puter? is it only the "script kiddies"? or the software industry? "only for the purpose protecting our intellectual property and copyrigh; it is in the best interests of our shareholders!." oh, they got "us" in a twist with this "stuff" anymore! only part of the reason that i say stay the flip away from this stuff! scared myself silly looking around last night at tufat forums (flashchat) and macromedia's documentation! it don't matter how one sets the security settings on their puter; flashplayer doesn't pay any attention to them!! found out that the issue that i was experiencing with not being able to get my room list back to the proper side of the page is a very common one. one has to go into the macromedia folder and find the settings for the particular site and dump the "chatgui.swf" file. and every site that has flash, has one of these dang things on your puter!! if one has pop-ups blocked, one doesn't even know that these sites are asking if they can put this stuff on there!! <sca-REAM!!> oops, sorry; sidetracked again!)

You idea of video help sounds like a great Entrepreneurs business dream. Helping us while you perfect your video, is a grat platform. Save any reciepts you have and since this is a business ( so to speak ) you do get to write off zny equiptment, software, supplies and time you provide while building your craft. If you like doing it, make it your business and lively hood.
yeah, i could write all that off - but can't get no receipts if i can't buy anything! 200 a month for food and expenses doesn't leave much for buying much of anything! but, yeah; "practicing" here would be useful, in more ways than one. but i am so scared of using this stuff anymore that i may dump this stuff right back out of here at any moment! i made the mistake of "testing" my install by dropping into chat "last night" (early this morning), and that experience sidetracked me into hunting down issues in other places across the net. by the time i got around to grabbing malware protection tools, this box wouldn't let me run spywareblaster!

Tell me this. I may need to reload my system with my cd that came with it.
oooh! it's too bad that the industry stopped shipping OS installation media with new computers. that "recovery cd" is scary!
I want to save a lot of what I have already, and how do I do a inexpensive back-up of all of my files? Do I need another external hard drive, a memory stick or what? I needed to save and reload a program like dragon naturally speaking and its drivers ( in one save ) that allows me to speak into a mic and my computer types the words in notepad or something. I need to save and reload about 40GB min.

I want some of the programs and drivers, some I will not bring over, but I want to be able to pick what I want as I reload. Is that possible?
"about 40gig minimum" ... <whew!> yeah, that sounds like a need for another drive. it might be a better idea to save the "install programs" for the stuff you want to reload. (it sort of sounds like the apps you want to save didn't come on a CD, but were downloaded off the net?) however, the data that you have generated while using these programs is another matter. the applications should have all the drivers included in the installation program. you should only have to install updated drivers for your sound, video, network card/modem, external usb devices, and maybe monitor.

oh, wait a minute! i think there might be a need to help folks distinguish between the application program/plus drivers and the data that is generated as a result of using that app? and i can just imagine that where that data is stored is a bit of a mystery, too? some of it goes into my documents, some of it goes into program files, some of it may wind up in the windows folder somewhere, (apps? profile\<user>\something? and xp has even changed that all up - "documents and settings\profiles\<user>\" or something?).

oh. .. my. ... god. ... thinking further about this class ... <WHEWWW!!!> wow! no wonder they charge so much for this support stuff!!

any grant writers in the house? business plan developers? proposal writers? it looks like this would be a good spot for "trading of favors"/barter/co-op type stuff? gettng my thoughts organized behind this concept would prolly make a lot of sense, before shipping requests around to some of those "Black owned" financial institutions that Pan was/is so good to have shared with us in the investments forum! (i guess that could, maybe, also be looked at as an "entrepreneurial" forum? or a piece of one? oh, i do love the possibilities of a site like this!! all hail Destee!!)

Subject Development (cont)

anAfrican said:
Video introduction to the individual components of a computer? That could happen with a webcam. It would be nicer if I could figure out a better "tripod" for the cam, tho.

Video demonstration of opening a puter and replacing components?

A group hands-on class where you get a garbage box and we walk through building a firewall/gateway out of it?

Help me out here, Fam?
Getting Windows installed and updated before getting "0wned"

Clean booting for games or other purposes

Filesystems Explained - where does stuff go/where to put stuff

Rebuilding That Box - recovery cd vs application cd vs system cd and how to break the operating system out of all that.

Drivers - DLL H3LL/lib.so lunacy

LiveCD - Open Source "try before you buy"

For the longest I have had plans to put together a web site that focuses on helping blacks learn about technology. I have big plans for it (news section, message boards, articles, etc.). I even registered a domain for it (like 2 and a half years ago). Unfortunately I never got around to setting it up, and like many things, it has been one of those things that I will "eventually get around to"...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back